Sunday Night Anxiety

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Rex2011, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Rex2011

Rex2011 Rookie

Oct 11, 2015

Good evening all,

I have been teaching for 4 years now, but continue to fight this battle with Sunday night anxiety (as well as waking up stressed and anxious every weekday morning). This anxiety stems from negative past experiences from student disrespect over the years. Since year one, I've been poisoned, mocked, and ridiculed. Last year, a student was mad at me and decided to get her friends and get them to go against me. I wouldn't let her go to the bathroom, but she failed to let me know that it was an emergency; so her and her mom got upset at me. The wolf pack mentality sunk in, and I am still dealing with it this year. I find that half of my students don't like me (I am trying to find out why). I am not a popular teacher in my small school of 600 students. I teach foreign language, and found that a group of students who would have had me for year 2 dropped my class and went to the other more popular FL teacher. I try so hard not to take it personal. Those that are loyal to the student that is mad at me try to shake me.

My other issue is that the subject I teach has lost its luster...does anyone else lose interest in what they teach from time to time?

What recommendations could you make me so that I stop worrying about 'what's going to happen?' Overall, I still enjoy teaching at the school because of the good kids (even though they act good, I know that some of them still don't respect me). How can I build popularity?

I am also going to seek psych help. I was picked on a lot when I was in school, and I think that stems in to my anxiety.

Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2015

What s your classroom mgt like? What s your relationship/reputation with admin?

4. Rex2011

Rex2011 Rookie

Oct 11, 2015

I have to say that my cm is good, considering I run a tight ship. However, because of some hearing issues, I feel that I miss some things. My relationship with admin is very good. They are effective with discipline.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 13, 2015

Hi Rex,

It's good that you run a tight ship. If you don't run a tight ship, students will not respect you. But you also have to build relationships with students and let them know you care. Part of it is enacting consequences without getting angry. Just give them a consequence matter-of-factly. Another part is actively asking students about their day. You don't have to pursue them outside of class, but during down-times in class, just have conversations with them.

Smile at them, and be friendly. I'm pretty strict with my students, but I've built relationships with them, and showed them that I care about them, especially if it looks like they're having a tough day. If they break one of my rules, I hold them accountable with a consequence, but they know that's how it is and it's nothing personal. I don't lecture, or scold them for breaking the rules.

It seems like you should assess whether or not you think teaching is still right for you at this point. If you still are unable to get respect, you're facing intense anxiety (I get Sunday anxiety too, but mostly because I love my weekends and don't want to work, lol), and you're falling out of love with your subject, you may not be able to be the best teacher for your students, and it may be bad for your health.

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 13, 2015

This is my 7th year teaching and my first year that I finally feel confident (for the most part) in my teaching and don't have morning anxiety. I used to suffer from anxiety every morning hours before my alarm. I think the difference is this year I feel like I really do have a good rapport with my students and I've developed my teaching style. I think you really need to focus on your rapport with students, and everything will fall into place after that. It takes years at the same school to develop this relationships and a reputation.

7. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Oct 13, 2015

I am finally seeing my Sunday anxiety starting to wane. It really helped me to plan activities/assignments on Mondays that I knew would be well-received and enjoyable. It is a lot easier to go into school on Monday with a great attitude if I know that the day will most likely be smooth due to the lesson I have planned.
    In the case of the student harassment, I would make sure not to let them get a rise out of you when they can see or hear you. If you need a good cry later on, do it. ( You didn't say you react in front of them, but just as a general piece of advice).
    Furthermore, it might be worth going to administration with your concern if specific students are systematically targeting you- it may actually qualify as bullying. If you take down a few ringleaders, the problem may ease quite a bit.
    You also mentioned that you will be seeking psych help- I am glad. No one should have to deal with such anxiety about work. I hope that it gets better soon!

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2015

I also struggle with anxiety but have found it gets a little better every year. I always make sure I have my lessons planned out in advance and try to build in "fun" activities or at least ones where I'm not "front and center" all the time. This gives me a moment to breathe, connect with students, and also creates more active learning. I also teach a language and there are so many fun things we can do! Sometimes we anxious types just need to let loose a bit and show the kids we are human and can have fun, too!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 20, 2015

My only suggestion is to find something relaxing, perhaps even ritualistic, on Sunday nights. Rockhubby and I go out to dinner every Sunday and chat about ANYTHING except the upcoming work week.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 20, 2015

It sounds like your'e getting bored with your subject (not sure you mentioned which subject) but perhaps it's time to make things more exciting with different approaches. If you're bored maybe they are too?

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 20, 2015

I get the same thing when I have a very difficult class. It's hard to face the day when you know you're going to encounter extreme resistance.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2015

I just found out I have my first evaluation for the year this coming Monday with my most difficult class...I am so nervous and already know it's going to be a difficult night! I am trying to come up with a plan to help me be as relaxed as possible...both a lesson plan for Monday and a de-stress plan for Sunday so I will hopefully get some sleep!