Sunday is the Worst Day

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by hopefulnovice, Mar 8, 2009.

1. hopefulnovice

hopefulnovice Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

I get so depressed on Sundays anticipating another week at school...I cried again today. Another whole week! God only knows what problems I will face. There is always something negative lurking around the corner.

Anybody else feels the same way?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

:(

Sunday nights aren't my favorite, but that's just because I really enjoy my weekends. I do enjoy going to school, though.

What's going on at school that has you so worked up? :hugs: I'm sure the folks here can help.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

Oh no! This isn't healthy to feel so ill and sad about going to teach each week. I look forward to my students and my school. Can we help out in any way?

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2009

I'm kind of dreading this week, but mostly because it's the last week before our standardized tests. There's also a little bit of tension on my team, but I'm hoping to take my co-teachers out to lunch so we can clear the air and they can fill me in on what they're talking about without me... :whistle:

6. Greensleeve

Greensleeve Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

hang in there!! I hate Sunday night for the exact reason! But we must remind ourselves that there are joyful moments waiting for us! Just push the work out and face the new day tomorrow!

7. txteach13

txteach13 Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

I am looking forward to June when I can enjoy my Sundays again. It is like a cloud of dread above me, not SO bad today because one week until spring break. We're already in March, so it won't be much longer!!

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

PUT your :angel:faith in GOD and look for the POSITIVE stuff during the week. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS instead of setting yourself up for disappointments. YOU have a JOB & that is a positive thing SO enjoy it and LOOK FOR THE GOOD in everything.:thumb:
    Pray for God's guidance & help. He is the MAN WITH THE PLAN!:cool:
    Appreciate what you've got,
    Rebel1

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

Ladies..

Take a brief stroll through the job-seekers forum. There are SO MANY who want your jobs. I know I sound like the cranky old fa*t who lives on the corner... but be thankful FOR the job. The paycheck AND the ability to inspire lives (Isn't that what we all dreamt of doing?)

10. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Wow McKenna I was just going to post that! I can certainly empathize with the OP, for I had a job for 10 years that I absolutely hated and literally spent my off days dreading going back. However, when I see the stories of those who lost their jobs and would give anything for a job right now I feel so selfish!

11. hopefulnovice

hopefulnovice Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

Oh well, just the usual first year stuff, I guess...Plus I think I am in the wrong grade level after all...Much work, very little appreciation. I had a parent thank me today for all I do, and that made my day! It's the first time a parent thanked me via email. So I guess I am not that bad...:p and it's not all negative. Unfortunately, many of us, new teachers, tend to focus on the negatives.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2009

We're thankful! We're just afraid of being imperfect and get a little stressed when we're not as amazing as we thought we'd be when we dreamed of this career (I know I ALWAYS wanted to be a teacher). It's more stage fright than classroom dread.

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2009

I wish I could tell you that eventually people will all appreciate what we do. The truth is the "thank you'" rarely, if ever, comes. We do this to reach the kids and to satisfy a desire we have to teach. Don't do it for appreciation. You'll set yourself up for disappointment.:hugs:

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

In the last 4 years I had one parent say thank you and another say "I don't know how you do it."

15. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I feel this way too a lot on Sundays. It's the sudden reminder that time has run out and another week is starting.

In the same vein, Friday nights are my absolute favorite time of the week. It's the only evening where I can actually not think about school and not feel guilty about that because I have two whole days ahead of me to plan! :)

16. KatieKat

KatieKat New Member

Mar 10, 2009

Relief in comraderie

Hopefulnovice:
    I have to say that reading your post made me feel so much better!
    I generally barely notice a difference between weekends and weekdays because I don't stop working! I feel as if stopping would be letting some kid down. I have some who I can't challenge enough, some whom I can't motivate enough, and most don't even seem to like me! I'm constantly worried about what the veteran teachers think about what's goin on in my class. AND, it's Spring Break and I've JUST figured out how to teach writing (I think).
    Let me bring this back to my topic sentence: hearing that someone somewhere else is going through the same thing as me makes me feel less desolate. Less forlorn in my struggles. Don't worry, we'll get it and it will be a whole lot better from here on out.
    Pinky Swear. :)
    P.S. Thank you

17. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

I look forward to Monday morning, knowing that I'll meet all of the students again, they're a fantastic bunch of kids. Sit down and analyze exactly why you feel so depressed. Identify exactly what it is that causes this feeling. If you can do this then you can also do something about it. I honestly believe that 90% of my feelings of doubt, uncertainly and so on exist only in the mind.

When I first started teaching one of the older members of staff told me always to over prepare. Always have so much material ready that there is never time for the kids to get off task. And always leave time for some sort of game or fun activity. Each month I take a large bag of candy into the class and it is the best investment I make. It is not bribery, it is a way of rewarding good behavior or effort, no matter how small. I look for ways to be able to hand out a candy to each student at least once a day.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

I'm currently in my 6th year of teaching and I've been having issues on Sundays since December. I've actually developed anxiety because of my class and all of the stress. It's really upsetting to me, but I know that I will get through it and in September I start with a new class. But I keep a bag of hershey kisses in my desk drawer along with a stress ball for when I need them! :)

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2009

I'll tell you

I used to feel this way. Then I started teaching using themes! I know you're probably thinking what does that have to do with not wanting to go to school...... ALOT

I dreaded going to school (this is my first year teaching first and I soooo loved 2nd grade - long story but I asked to go to first). I thought I made a big mistake changing grades. Then I started teaching using themes and OOOHHHHH THE FUN the kids and I have had. It really gave me the boost I needed. I love planning and finding and creating fun, exciting lessons and activities. We even did lessons while eating and making cute snacks.

For example, last week before Spring Break (normally a trying time) we had a leprechaun running around our hallway causing havoc. We read lots of leprechaun books, learned about St. Patricks Day, and learned about Ireland. It was so much fun. I went home everyday exhausted, but I never had so much fun planning and implementing it all!

It taught me alot. I SHOULD enjoy my job and I intend to do just that! (This also helps with behavior)