Summer's Just About at an End, NO!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2013

I don't like this part of the summer when we have to return in 2 wks or less. I know, some of you may have barely returned already. For me, it's not just about starting work again, but grad school classes & another thing or two, so it's all these things starting up at the same time. :mad:

What is everyone going to do for their last bit of relaxation?

No going to bed early to get used to work bedtimes for me! I'm going to crank it out & stay up late till the end! I can probably go to the movies at least one more time. I'm going on another day trip this weekend & maybe another with a friend. I'm getting a new style at the hair dresser's. I should get a manicure & pedicure.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

Shhh! I'm not ready to think about this yet. We still have a vacation planned in a couple of weeks.

4. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

Less than 2 weeks for me. I'm having anxiety about it. Trying to enjoy it, but I have to try and find a daycare for my son and finish cutting, printing, and laminating some things.....ugh

5. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

I'm bummed! Teacher work week starts on Monday.

A group of my coworkers and I got together for dinner/drinks last night. We do this about once a month. Tomorrow, a friend is visiting me from out of town. I'll make one last run to Wal-Mart on Saturday for a few school supplies and some food for packing my lunches. Sunday is church and relaxing to enjoy my last afternoon of summer.

The part I dread the most about summer ending is having to set my alarm clock again!

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

I still have 5 weeks left before I go back. Trips to Boston, Lancaster,PA, and the Jersey shore are on my list.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 1, 2013

I'm still in summer school. Will be off for 2 weeks before labor day then we go back. I sure am looking forward to those 2 weeks!

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

5 more weeks? When did you guys get out?

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

Teachers return on the 13th, so I have a little time left. I really need to get my hair done, as I am dying for something new, and some new clothes. Other than that, no major plans. I am kind of looking forward to going back, though not looking forward to getting up at 5 am. That´s a killer.

10. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

We go back on the 12th, and I'm trying to figure out my game plan so that I can start school without feeling like a total loser. :p Tonight I'm thinking about making out a final to do list for my classroom. I'm about 99% finished in there. Then, I'm going to bust my rear the next few days trying to get at least 75% of my household summer to do list done. I'll probably go up to school on Sunday, maybe, and get finished in there and not go back until our first PD day. Anyway, my plan is to have my house and room 100% squared away by Tuesday and enjoy the rest of my summer break.

Beth

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2013

Monday and Tuesday we have meetings and then on the 19 th it's a week of PD and working in our rooms. Meet the teacher is in there at some point. Aug 27 is the first day of school. I'm ready in so e ways and not so ready in others. Looking forward to my new grade level.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2013

I've been back this week, and we had open house tonight. Once my room is ready and I meet the kids, I'm back in school mode.

13. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

I still have until the 25th before inservice begins. I haven't done much with my summer so far, so I'm going to try to stuff August with fun!

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

Wedding preparations ate up most of my summer. Now we're down to about a week and I'm trying not to panic (especially since we're getting a new curriculum. YIKES)

At this point, I'm:

1. Trying to organize my house
    2. Getting back into the groove of working out
    3. Pintresting lots of back to school ideas, monthly bulletin boards and art projects
    4. Researching a decent graduate school
    5. Spending time with friends and family

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

I go back the 12th. I am not ready. We had a really weird summer with a lot of all-day thunderstorms (it rained for two weeks straight at one point), so I feel like I spent most of my time inside, waiting for summer to start. Oh well.

16. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 2, 2013

New teacher orientation starts Monday! Yikes! I just moved here this week so this last week has been crazy hectic for me.

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 2, 2013

My last day was June 21st. I don't return until Sept. 3rd. Students come on Sept. 6th. We do not have any type of PD over the summer.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2013

Still got almost 2 wks!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

Wow! You guys get a nice, long break. How many days are in your school year?

I go back next Tuesday. Kind of ready but kind of not.

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2013

I have 2 1/2 weeks before PD starts and a month until kids start. On the one hand, I'm starting to get bored and ready to go back. We're starting late because of construction, so even my other teacher friends are now working during the day. I usually have plans at night, but I'm still bored until then! On the other hand, I know its going to be absolutely crazy when I do go back and I'm not looking forward to that. I'm starting a new job which means lots of "first year" work and figuring things out, and then my grad school classes start literally 2 days after my PD days start. They're accelerated classes so I'm expecting it will be a lot of work at once. I should be enjoying being bored while I still can, haha.

21. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

Students have 180 days and teachers 185. This coming school year we go until June 26th. We are getting 2 weeks at Christmas, though.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

I am recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out yesterday, but might do some scrapbooking later in the week.

Next week I am going to work on work Mon-Thursday for at least 6 hours each day. There is so much I want to/need to accomplish before the school year. I am going to be very mindful of squeezing fun in there as well.

I start my graduate school semester with a weekend institute next weekend and a PD event for work that Friday. I just looked at the calendar as saw that was sooner than I thought! blah.

I really need about 3 more weeks mostly to accomplish things that would make my year easier if I could get them done before school starts.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

I went back to work last Thursday. Teachers don't come back until the 14th.

24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

I look at it this way: We get 2 weeks for winter break and I look forward to that LONG break. So these 2 weeks are kind of like those 2 weeks for me. I try to focus on how long 2 weeks can feel instead of how short it can feel when compared to the whole summer break.

25. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I don't know if it's just me but this summer flew by SO quickly. I'm going to miss sleeping in, but I'm excited to meet the students and their parents. I love the fall season, so that's probably why.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2013

It's definitely not just you! Summers (& other vacation days throughout the yr) go by like the speed of light for me every year.