Summer Withdrawal....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 13, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

Is anyone else this way: missing your classroom; wanting to go in and set things up; tired of planning vaguely and ready to put some ideas into action?

I feel like I'm getting a logjam of ideas building up with no outlet until the summer school class in there gets through. July 17, but I'm going on a road trip the whole next week.

Anyone else eager to get in your room again? It's like my second home. Embarrassing!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

I am ashamed to admit I feel the same way. I have ideas bouncing off my inner head and it's making me crazy!

We only just got out mid-June so I would look really pathetic if I showed up at school already. I have to wait until mid-Aug to not be talked about! LOL

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 13, 2009

Nice to know I'm not the only "crazy" one!

My poor husband is tired of hearing ideas that I have found on A to Z. I finished school around June 10th. I got a new laptop and spend every evening on it after my husband leaves for work. I have designed a new class website. I spend every night on A to Z and ProTeacher.

I live 15 minutes or so from my school and I drove out one day just to "check on" my room. Like I thought it was going anywhere! Before I left in June I moved all of my stuff from one end of the building to the other to a different room. It is all in boxes along one wall and the rest is shoved in cabinets. Our maintenance guys have since torn out the exterior wall which was old, drafty windows and thin walls and replaced it with four windows and a more solid wall. :eek:

I volunteered to take my daughter to basketball camp tonight so I could go and check the progress. I was so excited to see the sheetrock up and four windows installed. I even have outlets under each window! :thumb:

I spent part of today at a craft store looking for material to make curtains and cushions for my room. I have a basket of folders next to the couch full of ideas for the new year. I go to sleep thinking of room arrangements. I check clearance aisles for cheap prizes and I live for garage sales. I need therapy!!! :dizzy:

My husband says I'm obsessed! I say I'm not. I hate to say it, but I think he's right, but I'm obsessed in a good way!:wub:

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

Well, join the club if you're obsessed! :) LOL!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I admit it - I am obsessed this year and I can't figure out why. I got a bunch of new things, already put up the bulletin boards, have done a lot of planning and have been going in for a few hours every week. I could start tomorrow! The custodians came to do my floors a week early and they usually just throw things in a corner, etc. I felt bad I hadn't put stuff up because I didn't know they were coming. When I got back today everything was exactly as I had left it - even better - I was amazed! They even put the flowers on the kitchen table and stuff back in my kitchen center correctly on my newly labeled shelves. I am in shock!

7. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

No...I need a couple more weeks of doing absolutely nothing of any importance.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

Ugh!! So glad I'm not a freak. I can't stop planning and I want to go in and set up now. Its a little worse than previous years because I switched rooms and I really need to know that everything is in order.

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I got an email from our school secretary letting me know my room was finished - I just have to let the custodian know which day I want to go in so that they don't wax the hallway floors while I'm there. I have no desire to go in yet. I'm spending the next three weeks doing the Illinois Writing Project Summer Leadership Institute, so I am (kind of) working on school, but I won't get the itch to get into my room until the second week of august!

10. prek176

prek176 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I've been into school a few times already this summer. Good thing I live and work in the same town! I spent 2 days going through cabinets in my new room/grade just cleaning and dusting! The webs were awful! Once my room was cleaned by the janitors I went in and arranged the furniture. I still have stuff to bring down from my 5th grade classroom. Just not sure where to put everything! Once I am moved in I can really take a look at curriculum and figure out how I want my day to go. This is a huge transition for me and I find myself thinking about it constantly! There is so much to do!!

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I do miss my room. I can go in starting next Wednesday, and plan to work on cleaning things up and freshening them up :)

Add me to the obsessed!

12. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I feel the same way! I have so many things I want to work on and get ready for next year. It's funny how by May I couldn't wait for summer and now I can't wait to go back :)

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I forgot to mention my room is air conditioned and my house isn't so, it is actually more pleasant to work on things there than at home when it is hot like this week. Also, peace and quiet - no teenage drama, no pet drama, no husband drama - did I mention peace and quiet?

14. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one who really enjoys working on my room over the summer! I live less than 3 miles away so I can zip over there for a few minutes anytime. Plus I moved classrooms again, so that means so much work reorganizing and I decided to try to go through everything and declutter my junk.

I'm just all about doing whatever I can to make life easier when school starts. If I can do it ahead of time it makes me less stressed. Plus I don't have kids or a summer job and I can only lay by the pool so many days a week=)

15. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 14, 2009

Me too

I'm so glad to know other people feel the same way. I've been fortunate enough to go out to my classroom and to talk with some of my fellow teachers. I've also spent a lot of time on this website as well. During the day I'm writing down thoughts and things I want to do. I've started "getting things together". I've been told that I'm way too excited about going back to school. School in a strange way is like an outlet to the world for me. I love what I do and I love being with the kids.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

If I were closer to school, then I'd probably be there at least twice a week.

17. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I'm excited and just waiting until the construction is done to go in. I was told yesterday that it'd be some time next week that I'd be able to get in. I'm hoping so :) I had to pack up everything... I'm looking forward to putting it all back. I have my class map drawn out and everything. I can't wait!!

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 14, 2009

I miss having a routine in place for me and I'm excited about trying things out again (for my 2nd year of teaching), but I'm finding that the few days I'm doing professional development are helping me with my needed fix of being a teacher :)

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

:)

I can relate to everything everyone said! Even those who are not ready yet, because some part of me is still glad to have time to miss my room without having to go be the teacher yet!

My room is not air conditioned, but it has cable TV, a sofa, a toaster oven, and a little fridge. I could almost live in there! Plus my daughters love being there. They have bikes in my closet, most of the time there are other families playing on the playground, and of course, there are all the supplies. Crayons, scissors, glue, tape, whiteboards, floam... and PBS kids!

I also have a big cubby shelf to put together. I bought it on Craigslist. I'm going to have tables instead of desks, and these cubbies will hold their notebooks.

I also noticed that I just plan better at work. Somehow I'll need something or want to measure something or otherwise need to be in my room to finish plans.

Ah, dreaming! But not today. Today, it is clean out the dryer duct with this.

20. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

I am always in early. I always find a ton of things to do. But I can't go until at least the beginning of the 2nd week of August because my room is being used for a summer program that goes through July 31. So the custodians can't do the floors til the first week of August. Mine usually gets done first, though, on that hall. It's good to be friends with custodians. :)

21. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

I feel the same way. I cleaned my house well, had some relaxing time, and now I'm bored. I spent 6 hours last week putting all my math handouts from 2 different grades into the right months for next year. I am getting together centers I never had time to do. I can't go to my school until Aug. 4!! Then that time will fly!!

22. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I always spend part of my time during the summer planning minor changes/improvements to my room/organization/schedule/resources/etc in July when I start to feel that summer boredom feeling. I won't go to my classroom until after my family beach vacation we have every August. That way I feel like I didn't go back to early but I still feel accomplished throughout the summer.