Summer Vacation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Apr 5, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 5, 2008

I know it's a ways off for some of you (I have ten weeks left), but I am curious, how are you breaking up your summer?

So far:
    * We are planning a one week trip in August
    * I am working two weeks of summer school in July
    * I am hoping to work one day a week at a farmers market
    * Several long weekends camping

I am really looking forward to being home, reading, going to the lake and gardening. What are your plans?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

I haven't made any plans because I am sitting on pins n' needles hoping to get a job for next year. I don't want to miss a phone call or if I have a job that may mean planning during the summer. But, if I know that I have a job before summer begins, I want to out to Maryland for a week with my family to visit my father and maybe a couple of weekend camping trips.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 5, 2008

I don't know if I have a job next year or not either. I haven't known the last three summers and I am SICK of sitting around waiting for them to call me. Maybe it's because I got married and don't feel the pressure to be full time next year, but I intend to enjoy my summer despite the uncertainty. Did you know that you can claim unemployment if your contract wasn't continued for the next year? I am not a big fan of leaching off the government, but that is one thing I intend to take advantage of.

The trip is in August so that I have the opportunity to take interviews and such though...so I guess I am not a total rebel.

5. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Apr 5, 2008

My summer is pretty well planned out already.

June 10-July 16: teaching summer school.

June 18: putting our daughter on a plane to spend the summer with my sister. She'll be working at my sister's school's camp and helping with her cousins. She'll be there for the whole summer and meet up with us in Florida to come home.

July 17-August 7: working on writing and tweaking the 8th grade reading curriculum for our district.

August 9-16: Off to Destin, FL, to meet up with my ENTIRE family. We're renting a house for the 20 of us to celebrate my parents' 40th wedding anniversary.

August 18: Inservice starts.

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 5, 2008

Well it won't quite be summer yet, but in May we're going to Kauai to get married and honeymoon...so that will be our big vacation for this year. I'm taking my last masters class (before my research classes to write my thesis) in the summer. I hope to have been hired in a district by then so I can start preparing for that, and decide on where we will be moving...it's a summer full of decisions and changes for me!! :)

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

I will spend my summer in graduate school. My summer classes actually start before we are off contract (they will run from 4-8:15 until we are off contract), then continue daily until 2 weeks before we go back on contract. Of course, those 2 weeks will probably be spent on room set-up, etc.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

Congratulations on the wedding...I here Kauai is the best spot in Hawaii.:2up:

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 5, 2008

I am still trying to decide if I will teach summer school (an on-line course). I am planning on visiting my sister in Seattle for a few days in August.

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

I will be taking a masters class in June two nights a week. In June I'll also be teaching summer school classes. In late July I'll be staying in California for a week. Other than that, I don't know! Probably a lot of time will be spent preparing for a new grade level.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 6, 2008

We are taking a cruise in July and I have some professional development seminars that I am attending. I am going to one in mid-June that is a week long Marilyn Burns math seminar and one in August that is four days for technology training for the district. I may go to one more now that I know the exact days we are going on vacation. I also plan to rearrange my room and work on a few things that are too hard to get finished during the year like teacher-made games for each table to go with different units and concepts. I have many of these now, but they are in my game center and I would like to make them for every table.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 6, 2008

We turn in our keys on May 27th. Then I drove my son to Kansas last year to work on a sheep farm, might be doing that again. June 9-27 grading National Boards (great pay $150 a day) Then June 27-30 family reunion. I will take my son to his second camp of the summer over July 4th weekend. Then around the 20th we will go on a week vacation. Not sure where yet.

Report to work on August 11. I will be working in my room from Aug. 1-11th.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2008

Hopefully by the time summer starts I'll know that I have a job for next year. If that's the case, then I think I'll go to the New Jersey Writing Project conference if its offered. That's 3 weeks, but don't know the exact date. Daughter goes to VBS with her grandmother for a week, so I plan on using that week to work on my room (hopefully) and start some planning. I don't think we'll go anywhere this summer, but will plan something for next summer.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 6, 2008

- I had ruptured my Achilles tendon earlier this year. Hopefully, I would have started walking without the use of crutches by then. I may be taking physical therapy.

- As much as I deserve a vacation, it's not the best idea to be away from home w/ my ankle situation.

- If everything's going ok, I may have a new car this summer!

- I'll continue working at my at home business.

- In the fall, I'll probably be subbing & be back in school for my 2nd Masters.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 6, 2008

In August I will be taking a trip with my mom. We are headed to Bermuda.

I might take an on-line class.

Other than that just relaxing, going to the pool, beach and reading.
    I think I may take up yoga

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2008

Just everything I can think of with the boys.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2008

In June my boyfriend will take a week off and we will spend it together at his house in PA. We aren't going away but we will do little day trips. It's also what we did last year and it was fun.

I just applied for an administrative internship, so I am really hoping I get that. If not I am going to have to teach summer school because I need the money.

Might take a class or start a second master's program.

I usually have my little sister for a week in the summer, too. She is 8.

Moving in August, I hope. I can't stand this place anymore so I am looking for a new apartment close by.

18. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 6, 2008

I'll be on edge all summer waiting to see if I got a new job. I'm going on a Caribbean cruise with my bf's extended family in early July. When I get a job we'll have to find an apartment, pack up and move 3 hours away. I might take an online class. After we move I'll (hopefully) be spending time putting my new classroom together! :)

19. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Apr 6, 2008

I am sooo excited! What..like 7 weeks left? or 6? We planned a trip to New York in July for 9 days. I can't wait. We bought tickets to see the NY Yankees play the Soxs on July 4th. We visiting the statue of liberty and museum of art, central park, and lots more places. We are going to cram and ram as much as we can and then relax when we get home. I am scouring places on the website to do a yarn crawl there....

20. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

STG~I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! You'll enjoy the New Jersey conference if you get to go. I'd love to go for the refresher, but that's going to have to wait until DH finishes school.

21. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

All summer will be nonstop with my masters classes. However.....The first 2 weeks of summer will be spend in Del. teaching dino. & space camp with my Aunt. Then July 10-14 I'll be on a cruise with my bf, his dad, and his dad's gf. Then July 21-25 I'm teaching Ocean camp in Del again with my Aunt (I'll be leaving on the 19 and not coming home until the 26th though). It's a long drive for me to teach the camps...but I really enjoy doing it....I get to spend time with my 2nd cousin (he'll be turning 3 while I'm there in June)...and the pay is awesome ($575 a week).

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2008

Thanks, Val! I've heard great things about it and this district does a lot with it so I figured it would be a good thing to go.

23. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Apr 7, 2008

I'm going to come home on June 13, drive in, and close the gate behind me. I don't plan on leaving home until August 18, except for occasional trips to get my nails done or to pick up something at the grocery.

I'm going to work in my garden, scrapbook, nap, and enjoy the fact that I'm not commuting 3 hours a day.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 7, 2008

GoldenPoppy, that sounds great! If I commuted 3 hrs a day, I'd probably feel the same as you!

25. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 7, 2008

Well, my massive house cleaning has to be done before school is out - before all the company comes for DD graduation! Usually I piece-meal it all through the summer - cleaning out drawers, closets, etc., organizing bedding, washing light fixtures. My whole house is going to be filled so every room has to be in shape.

After that, I hope to work at something totally different from teaching! My actual "vacation" will be traveling 2500 miles to take DD to college. I'll get back just in time for inservice in Aug.

26. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

One thing I look forward to is sleeping in - even though I considered sleeping til 7 or 8 sleeping in:) Also, lounging by my pool. I have to go to NY for a wedding at the end of June and we'll be catching a Yankees game at the stadium while we are there, and then just working out and getting things ready for next year (which I've already started doing). This will be my first real summer vacation. The last three I've either been working other jobs or doing graduate work so I look forward to just relaxing!