Summer vacation

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Feb 27, 2015.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2015

It's hard to believe it is coming up so soon! Have you made vacation plans?

We are going to spend a couple of weeks in Washington DC and then spend some time in the Keys.

This will be the first year (in the last 25 years) that we can take a vacation in August after school begins.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 27, 2015

Chicago for sure with BF.

Somewhere with my parents-current possibilities: Europe, Canadian train, Alaskan cruise. It depends on how my dad's back does in the next month!

4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2015

Chicago in 4 weeks. 2 weeks in an apartment in streeterville. 4 Hawks games plus meeting up with lots of friends.

In August my wife and I have a Mediterranean cruise booked. 2 weeks in the Aegean and Med.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 28, 2015

No traveling, but moving into a new place a couple towns over and going through the courses to foster/adopt a child. Hopefully, I'll have a placement before school starts. So, it'll be busy summer!

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

My current travel plans:

Easter: Iowa to visit son at school

May: Iowa to either pack son up & bring him home for the summer or the more likely scenario, help him switch dorms as he may stay at school for the summer.

July: Back to Iowa to bring him home for a couple of weeks. That involves 2 cars or a storage unit, picking him up & bringing him back to Michigan. Then we would immediately turn around and head to Florida for our annual week's vacation.

August: Take the son back to Iowa.

It's exhausting thinking about it!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2015

I so relate, kpa1b2! My daughter is moving into a different house in May, but that will involve storage for a week or so. Not sure yet what the summer will bring for her as she has applied for internships all over the US and Canada. My plans will depend on hers.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2015

I haven't been on a lengthier vacation in yrs unfortunately, but I've been on a few little trips to Vegas, San Fransisco, L.A., Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Santa Monica, & San Diego. I've been wanting to go back to San Francisco for a long time, so I guess it won't be until the summer now..IF my BF can get time off work.

I've also always wanted to go to the Mall of America for a few days, which is in MN.

I'll definitely go on some day trips to all of the above cities again....& probably Palm Springs because I want to shop at this premium outlet mall that I haven't been to in unteen yrs.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 28, 2015

No plans here. My dad doesn't like to go on vacations because he used to travel a lot for work, so he doesn't like staying in hotels - so we aren't allowed to go on vacation as a result.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

No concrete plans yet - I have a few family members and close friends making big life changes, so I think I better stick close to home. I'll probably head out to visit some family in another province.

Summer is still 4 months away, so I'm just enjoying the moment.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

I love staycations. Mostly because my favorite thing to do in the summer is float in my pool & read. Because I'm by myself I don't have to worry about anyone splashing my book.

You could make plans with friends to go somewhere & do something.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2015

I have two friends from college that usually come out here to visit me each summer. We always end up here because I live in the most exciting place, lol. This year I told them I'm happy to host, but also don't mind going to visit one of their locations (since they always end up having to pay for flights). We decided to go to Pittsburgh where one of the girls lives for a weekend and then road trip out to Boston for the next week since we've never been. I'll also visit my hometown for about a week.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2015

I wouldnt let my husband dictate were or when I go on vacation. Being told we're 'not allowed to' wouldn't be my idea of a healthy relationship:2cents: I'd go on vaca anyway.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 28, 2015

No definite plans yet, but we are hoping to rent a cabin on a lake (preferably Lake Superior), and just relax and enjoy being together for a week.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2015

That might be a more pleasant vacation without him!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2015

My husband would not do such a thing, fortunately. :eek:

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2015

Funny vacation story... several years ago we had planned a two week vacation with the kids...reservations made, etc. A few weeks before we were supposed to leave, my husband found out he had signed up for the wrong dates and wasn't really off the weeks we were supposed to go. He told us to go on the vacation, anyways, and told us to use most of the tax refund to give us a fun time while we were gone. We had a great time, missed him, but he had a nice quiet time at home without us!

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2015

We are having a staycation this year also. Our pool needs repairs so that's where the money goes this year. Then I'll be home to enjoy it all summer.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2015

I hope it warms up!!! Lol!!! I think last year there was ice until June up there!!! Lol!

20. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 1, 2015

I don't have any friends. Or a pool. My dad didn't like maintaining the pool we got for free, so he got rid of it. We don't really do staycations - the most we do is my mom takes a week off during the summer and says that for that week, she won't cook anything, so we go out to eat, with my dad complaining about the cost.

Yeah, it's a bit silly. But he's 60, slightly worried about his retirement (He only started a 401(k) in the late 90s and the economy made his 401(k) tank).

He also refused to go on a plane until our most recent vacation in 2012, because he "used to fly all of the time for work"

Which he did, and during those years he racked up hundreds of thousands of airline miles, eventually letting them expire after he stopped traveling.

Our first vacation was in 2001, a trip to Lancaster PA for three days, we drove there, like three hours one way.

Second vacation was in 2005, went to Williamsburg VA during the hottest week that summer for four days, then we spent half a day in DC (and we slept the night there and drove home first thing in the morning, stopping after a few hours to get breakfast at a gas station). That was like a 6 hour drive to williamsburg, and a 4 hour drive home from DC.

Then we finally went on vacation again in 2012 to Vegas to visit my aunt (and my cousin, but her... biological father decided he wanted to take her for that entire week - because my cousin was looking forward to seeing us, it's a fun situation. Luckily the guy is finally going to jail for a few years for felony check fraud. Won't do anything about his ~$100,000 child support in arrears, even though his parents are millionaires) and I was sick/severely dehydrated the entire time because my dad didn't tell me that planes can cause dehydration (and he also threw out the one tiiiiiny drink the flight attendants gave out during the six hour flight)

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 1, 2015

I'm (hopefully) finishing my graduate thesis and graduating! Woo hoo! I am going to a board game convention, working at a summer program out of town, and my husband will be in a musical that I will go see.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2015

Bros, I know you think you can't do it, but you need to get out of your house. Your dad sounds like a ....

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 1, 2015

:yeahthat:

24. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Mar 1, 2015

I will most likely go back to my hometown for a few days to visit. Other then that, I don't have big plans. I am taking classes so I can finish my masters by the end of the year so that will be a top priority this summer.

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2015

Bros, you are an adult and are free to come and go as you please. You have an income which would even allow you to spend the night in the city if you want to. Don' t use the excuse that you can't dress or feed yourself. We have given websites that have those specific accommodations. Also, don't use the excuse that you can't use SSI to pay for it. My son receives SSI and he can spend it any way he pleases.

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2015

I'm planning a trip to visit friends in Switzerland and Germany. :)

27. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 1, 2015

Heading back to Canada this summer. BF & I went last summer and had a blast.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 1, 2015

You don't have to stay in a hotel on vacation. Lots of people rent houses near/on a beach. Even a cabin. There are tons of options.

29. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2015

Even a tent!

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 1, 2015

We're staying at an apartment in Chicago. Looks very nice!

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2015

Not in Jersey, but our shore is so awesome that even a day can feel like a vacation.:thumb:

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 1, 2015

Same here, except it's a comps exam for me!

33. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 2, 2015

A board game convention sounds very fun.

I usually attend New York Comic Con every October. I'm more interested in the entertainment panels than the comic stuff - but I do roam the show floor, last year got autographs from two great authors.

My dad is just very... old fashioned (And didn't really have a traditional childhood - his mother worked a 9-5 job while his father was at home dying for most of his childhood) and concerned about his finances - his company hasn't matched 401(k) contributions since 2009 - they are going to restart their matching up to 4% in May, which my dad is going to take full advantage of.

I know I would not be able to move out of my house at the moment. The only circumstances where I see it to be possible were to be if I were to meet someone and move in with them or when my brother graduates from college and gets a job (His current graduation date is likely to be January 2016, but who knows at this point - and he might move away after college, as he has indicated occasionally in the past, as he has difficulty tolerating my father at times).

I am well aware I can use the SSI how I wish - restrictions only apply to recipients with Representative Payees, as they must document (roughly) the expenditures, to aid in dealing with fraud.

My only experiences in the city are not really good ones - i've been with my dad maybe a grand total of maybe five times (Twice for New York Comic Con, Twice for Take Your Kid To Work Day, and one time we went with my grandmother and great-grandfather to the Museum of Natural History and the Bronx Zoo). The latter experience was nice, mostly because I was young enough that it would be rather difficult to make it a bad day. But going into the city with my dad is mostly a... chaotic and frightening experience - he will run across a crosswalk the second it turns green, without even telling you. Or he'll force you to walk over a mile (which causes you to miss the bus home, because it takes you over 25 minutes to walk a mile), while your legs are burning in pain, because he doesn't want to pay for a taxi, even when you offer to pay. It's also why my mom refuses to go into the city, even though she'd like to - because he has no regard for the people he is with, he thinks that just because he has worked in NYC since the early 80s, that everyone knows exactly how he is thinking and the location of things and what a block and an avenue mean in terms of distance (and treats you like you are a complete idiot when you ask).

My dad doesn't trust those sites. Even though i've done research and shown him it's cheaper. He thinks those sites are for bad people to track down good people and do bad things. Yeah.

We have 250 acres of woods going into our backyard, so a tent could probably be used somewhere in those woods, just no fires allowed.

And we'd most likely freeze within hours given the weather lately. :p

34. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2015

We also have an apartment. Ours is the DeWitt. Just behind the John Hancock Tower. A bargain at $70 per night.

35. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

You would have a great time going some place, even for a day, by yourself. You could go to a museum, a game, a park, etc. It would give you a chance to reflect and de-stress.

Why do you keep bringing up your father's problems? You don't need his permission to go anywhere you want.

36. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2015

Baby is due the beginning of August. We will head up to visit both of our hometowns in June, and then I have a feeling most of the rest of the summer will be spent indoors in the A/C!!!

37. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

:lol: :hugs:

38. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2015

People keep feeling sorry for me when they find out I'll be very pregnant in the hottest part of the summer. But I figure, I'll be home and not needing to go anywhere then!

39. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Mar 2, 2015

We are taking our first "real" vacation as a family and going camping for a long weekend. I'm excited! We have at least one other weekend planned to spend time with my parents at their lake house, but I am most excited about just the four of us and our dog in our new to us camper!

40. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2015

I might need to have a knee surgery, in which case I'll be marathoning all the shows my husband doesn't want to watch with me :)

I also want to try and write a novel. I am thinking of doing my own version of NaNoWriMo but over the summer. I have wanted to do this my whole life but have never started because it seems too overwhelming or I let myself be distracted by other things. This is the first summer in a while that I don't have travel plans and I want to make good use of the time!

We'll see if I can get/stay motivated....

41. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2015

I will have plenty of sympathy for you. I have had three pregnancies during the summer!