Summer Vacation-------so far?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Jun 22, 2014.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

Another day relaxing at home..its so humid out there, yuck!

I slept in until 9:30 today--------woooohoooo!
    Have the AC cranking on high today..its not even July yet:eek:
    And just made a nice lunch for myself. Some pasta salad with tuna, celery, mayo and homemade gelato later :)

Ahhh just love cool meals in the summer!!!

2. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 26, 2014

Picked strawberries
    Trip to vet
    Mowed lawn
    Made phone calls for our vacation
    'Slept in' until 6 - just can't shake the habit of rising early

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

My primary activity for the past few weeks has been teaching summer school. Yesterday was the last day of classes, though, and I look forward to sleeping in, reading, relaxing, and cleaning the house deeply before the school year gets underway. MIL and hubby will be here for a few days in a couple weeks as well. I can't believe I only have a month of summer left! Where has it gone?

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2014

I have an obligation to do for grad school M & T for 10 hrs each day for the next month & another grad class all summer, but other than that, I'm free.

I was trying to go to Universal Studios one more time before my annual pass expires, but either today or Wed., the 2nd would be my last chances to go & I probably can't go today.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2014

I keep purging and cleaning the house we have been in for 39 years. It is exhausting but feels really good. I think the house is in better shape than it has been since before I had kids many years ago. It is upsetting one of my boys who is sentimental and has left a load of stuff (and animals) here. He doesn't like change.

Anyway, this is the most productive summer I have had. I decided June was for the clean sweep, July is for painting and repairs, and August will be for planning, school work and some time to relax.

Wed was hard. I donated some old wedding presents and gifts from people I never use but it made me sad. I took 3 boxes and 2 bags straight to Goodwill before I changed my mind. That is my third trip there in the last couple of weeks.

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

....and I will be starting summer school next week on Tuesday:eek::eek::eek:

I am not going to complain because I need the $$$ and its 4 extra paychecks that I would otherwise not be getting and I need it soooooo there you go! LOL! Its 4 weeks but only until 1pm and i will have Fridays off which is great:D After summer school I will have almost 5 weeks left....feels like a longer break this year!

I have enjoyed this week though, sleeping in (I did again this morning 9am) and going out to lunch, taking walks & sitting out on my deck on the beautiful, breezy days and sitting on my couch in the AC when its hot and humid like today!!!!!!!

Ohhh well, going to grab some of my home made gelato:p

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 27, 2014

We had a storm come through the first of June which included needing a new roof, broken siding and broken windows. Windows haven't been fixed yet but they have been measured. We will be on the roofer's list once the insurance check comes through. Son is getting married in early August and I'm back to school shortly thereafter. Not a summer that I had planned on!

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Ohh wow!!! I hope things work out for you with your home.

Tomorrow is Saturday, going out to lunch with mom and then doing some shopping....can't believe summer school starts Tuesday, i'm savoring every moment I have until then:):):)

I am just hoping the 4 weeks goes by fast so I can get to my REAL vacation July 25th to August 26th:D

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

After working on my paper all day yesterday, I took today to relax and chill. Mom's retired, and Dad's off work today, so I visited with them, then we all went out to breakfast. Later I took my shoes to the repair shop.

One of my friend's is having a cookout tomorrow, so I stopped at a department store with the intent on purchasing a pair of shorts to wear and ended up buying two pairs of shorts, a nice blouse and a sexy nightie.

I watched United States of Tara and Law and Order: SVU (Netflix!), then took a nap.

When I woke up, I finished ALL the laundry in the house and hung everything up in the closet (yay!), cleaned up the kitchen, put all our leftover soups and chili from the week into freezer bags to be eaten later, then I stripped the bed and watched more T.V.

DH's out late tonight with friends and while I love and miss him, I'm enjoying the quiet time. :)

10. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

Going to lunch with mom today:D and then a little food shopping..running low of fruits and veggies.

Its going to be hot here again so I am sure I will be hiding in my house with the AC going to stay out of the heat when I get back later!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2014

Started my first day of vacation with a 7.7km wog followed by a trip to the farmer's market. Have a stack of books calling my name!

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 29, 2014

We have had such a violent spring! Last year we had a hail storm in April the resulted in the whole neighborhood getting their roofs repaired and siding replaced. I know what you must be going through. Hang in there!

13. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

I am going to my summer school orientation tomorrow..we will meet the staff we are working with. Its not very long, only 90 min. and we get paid to go which is great and I am going out to lunch when its over.

Then our first day is Tuesday, this past week flew by so fast I hope the next 4 weeks flies by quickly:p:lol:

14. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 3, 2014

Completed my first week of summer school today..we have the next 3 days off which is great! I love having a 3 day weekend every weekend for the month :):)

I have to say summer school has been fun, goes by fast and I looooove the small class sizes!!!!

It will also be nice getting a paycheck next Friday, I am seriously running out of cash. Paid all my bills for the month (June) so now I need to get started for July..it'll be so nice to have money again:D

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2014

Today's my last day of having to drive over 2 hrs round trip on each of 2 days a week, so I'm so glad of that!

Tomorrow may be my most fun day of the summer. My BF & I are driving around L.A. to some fun places & we made lunch reservations at this Brazilian Steakhouse that I've been wanting to try!

16. Rachel84

Rachel84 New Member

Jul 22, 2014

My husband has been out of town for the past two weeks due to work commitments and my two tiny tots have been driving me totally crazy in the meantime... Now that I come to think of it, all I've been doing till now has been just running around all day doing something or the other related to them! Aah, for some sleep...

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

I've been having fun, working out, home projects,pool and beach days, a Yankees games, some great reading...
    :love: summer!

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

Teachers around here are getting ready to go back in a couple of weeks. I think it will sink in then that I am not going back!

Until then, I am enjoying relaxing at home and at the theme parks. today is my son's birthday and we are enjoying it riding the Hogwart's Express!

19. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

Went to east coast and husband and I waked around in the rain with everyone thinking we're nuts. now that I am back in drought country I am thinking oh oh, got to enjoy my time off - DO NOTHING!!! ok, am I doing enough of doing nothing? oh no, I'm not doing enough nothing. need to do more nothing before school starts. QWUICK< RELAX!!!! man, I can get anxiety about anything. (and nothing)

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

I head back to work this coming Monday, July 28th.

I've had a fabulous summer vacation. Spent a week in Canada, a weekend in Yosemite National Park, and several day trips.

The best part of vacation (for me, at least) is NAPS! I love my naps!

21. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

It's been a month of relaxing, long drives to nowhere in particular, trips to the beach, leisurely reading, movies, friends and family time, BBQs, gym time, volunteer work, bike rides, long walks along the lake, trips downtown, treks to all the museums (teachers get in free)!

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

Lots of reading, coffee and wine!
    Catching up on things around the house
    Attending my second 3-day workshop--last week's was on problem-solving and use of games in math and this week's has a focus on media literacy.
    Looking forward to my daughter coming home this weekend!

23. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Lots of reading and lots of beach time. It's really the first summer that I'm taking advantage of living so close to so many beaches!

24. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

Last day of summer school is Thursday..i am so ready!!!!

Nothing major planned just some shopping & dinner with mom, lunch with a few friends, hanging out by the pool and just some decluttering, relaxing, etc.

And my favorite past time..pinterest and looking through my decorating magazines on the days i'm home and come here to post of course..can't wait:atoz_love:

25. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 22, 2014

I am just trying to pare down my to-do list a bit! There have, however, been a few lazy days. My daughter comes home this weekend, so the next month will be busy.

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 23, 2014

Summer is nearly over for me. I report for orientation meetings July 31. Sweets and I just got back from a trip to NY. I'm meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow and a new colleague for coffee on Friday. Other than that I plan to read as much as possible and work on getting the house in order before the whirlwind of the school year begins.

27. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

Since summer school is over now I have been sleeping in, redecorating the rooms in my home, working on my Pinterest board, going out to eat, cooking & baking, taking walks, trying new recipes, sitting out on my deck, relaxing, reading, etc.

The weather has been perfect 70's & 80's and a nice breeze in the mornings.

Just love the summer, its really nice that I still have a little over a month before I go back..hope it goes slooooooooow :)

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2014

Well summer for me is over. Go back to work Monday :/

29. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

I am reading that a lot of teachers go back next week..were you all out late May early June?

I still have about 4 weeks to go...I worked the summer school program for the first half of summer so I am glad..i'm still in lazy summer mode:D

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2014

I probably won't be returning to work at a school this yr. This should give me plenty of time to go to the gym & walk when I want & go to some fun places that are otherwise crowded when most people are off from work/school. Pretty soon it will be the cozy fall season again!

I've pretty much been on vacation since early April, yet this summer seems to have really zipped by quite fast since it seems most are on the verge of returning to work.

Have a great first week guys!

31. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 31, 2014

I've been applying for jobs and interviewing like crazy! Hoping that I will get a job offer soon, though, so I can stop driving all over creation.

Other than that, I have been binge watching Orange Is The New Black, catching up on my stack of books to read, spending time at the beach and spending lots of time with my family. This is my first full summer living in the same state as my family in almost 8 years, so it's been great. :) They may drive me crazy sometimes but I love them! My mom and I did a beach day today, which was SO relaxing.

I'm really good at being on summer vacation haha

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2014

My last day of work was June 16.

33. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 1, 2014

Ms I. why not? Are you, or were you job hunting? Or looking for career change?

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2014

35. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 2, 2014

Ohhh yes I do remember reading that..a second Masters degree!!! WOW! Busy gal

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2014

:) Yes & I'll be glad when it's all over! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

I wish I can go on a nice, little trip before Aug is over...for just a few days. I'd love to fly to San Francisco! I like that city!

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

My summer vacation is over. I had new hire orientation last week, and this week will be a lot of staff meetings and such. Kids arrive Aug. 11.