Summer Vacation Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Apr 19, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 19, 2014

If you don't have kids, what do you do over the summer?

I ask because for the first time in 15 years I'm considering not applying for summer school. I could use the money, but I think I just need a break. If I teach, I get only a few weeks off and after the appts like the dentist, etc. that I put off until summer, and the pd's I do to get my hours out of the way, I don't end up with much of a break.

My concern is, that I won't know what to do with myself! I take my dog to the park every day and have a whole stack of books to read. I don't have the money to travel or anything. Maybe start some kind of volunteer work-I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

So I'm wondering what other people typically do.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 19, 2014

Some how I always manage to find something to do. Whether it is floating in my pool & reading or cleaning.

This summer I will spend quite a bit of time getting my son ready to go to school in the fall.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 19, 2014

I'm a nanny for a 7th grade boy. Good kid. Easy money. I like it a lot.

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Apr 19, 2014

Oh, I remember those days. I woke up when I wanted, read, took naps, went for long walks, long hours in the library and bookstores, cleaned out drawers and closets, had lunch with friends, experimented in the kitchen.......

Oh, those were the days! I say try it for one summer and see how you like it.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2014

Some summers I have worked, others I have taken a break. When I haven't taught summer school, I've sometimes picked up one or two kids to tutor...a couple hours a week, and a little bit of extra pocket money.

But I enjoy my long, lazy days...sleeping in, working out, reading, running errands, working on projects around the house or for my classroom, trying out new recipes, catching up on tv shows I missed during the school year (often while tackling something like reorganizing my closet), etc.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2014

I always do much of the relaxing and catching up on books and chores that others have mentioned.
    I have the advantage of living in theme park land so much of our free time is spent there.

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Apr 19, 2014

I go to all of the local attractions and points of interest , without kids!
    It is nice to stroll through Museums without a line of children behind you.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 19, 2014

My summer fills up very quickly! I'm single, child-free and have never been bored over the summer. I travel with another teacher friend, relax in my aunt's pool and spend time with my parents and sisters.

I sleep in every day then go for a long walk and then putter around my garden for a while.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 19, 2014

I was never bored in the summer before kids. I went to museums and read lots of books - and I mean a lot of books! I usually have some house projects and/or involved crafts that I like to work on in the summer.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 19, 2014

I do whatever I want, whenever I want!

I go on day trips, go shopping, go out with friends. I've been at the gym at 2:00 in the morning. I stay up obscenely late and sleep past lunchtime. I work on crafts and read books. I work in the yard. I do little projects around the house.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2014

Although I did work last summer, I hadn't for years before that. I'm totally w/ Ima & I'm never bored either.

My BF & I have a ball going to the:

farmer's markets & gourmet grocery stores
    shopping malls - local & farther ones
    movies
    I of course visit my parents
    gym/walking
    BF likes going to the beach...I could care less
    events of interest at our local conventions centers
    live performing arts events (musicals, figure skating, etc.)
    pro tennis matches if they're close enough
    county fair - this is not the usual one I go to, but it's fun
    day trips to fun cities 1-2 hrs away
    used to play tennis before my ankle injury
    bowling - haven't done in a long time, but will
    maybe get together with gal pal
    travelling
    amusement parks - had annual pass for Magic Mtn & now have it for Universal Studios
    1st time this summer, I'll hv different at-home projects
    plenty of TV watching & sleeping in/staying up late
    grad school classes...ugh!

This summer, I plan to have a couple of cousins visit me who I haven't seen in years!

We so wish my dog was still alive. This will be the 2nd summer without him. :(

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2014

I have a child, but this will be the first summer that she will be going to stay with her dad for the summer so I will be kid free. I am traveling to Scotland this summer. I have a week of a camp that I'm getting paid for, but it's only 5 days so not too much out of my summer.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2014

Not sure I've ever felt truly bored (eta: during summer vacation). Whether I'm reading or walking or just on the couch, I think it's "the life". :)

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2014

I do a lot of home projects, reading, beach days. Dh and I instituted mandatory fun weekends last summer. We went to a seafood festival, horse races, wine tastings, the beach. He had been under a lot of stress at work so knowing the weekends had fun adventures was good for him (me too as I do get bored). We cook out on the grill, relax with adult beverages on the porch in the evenings, meet friends for dinner. I love meeting my sisters or girlfriends at the beach, taking day trips, outside concerts. Thinking about planning a get away to somewhere as we had a milestone anniversary in December. Maybe New Orleans or Key West or New England states but haven't planned yet as dh just started a new position so we'll wait a bit to see how his summer looks.

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2014

I usually go on a vacation by myself for a while.

I also coach swim team.