Summer tutoring

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherNY, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 21, 2008

I was hoping to start some summer tutoring in my area. Do any of you tutor students during the summer. How did you get started? Where do you find students to tutor (advertise, word of mouth, etc.)? How much do you charge?
    Thanks!

3. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

On Monday, I start my first tutoring job. A parent of a former student of mine asked me at the end of this year. She wanted to know if I would be open to tutor her son in math for Fourth grade. I of course said yes. She then asked me how much I charge...I was thinking somewhere with in the range of $50-$60...Good luck!

4. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

Put an ad on craigslist, word of mouth, newspaper ad. I'd charge at least $20 an hour.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2008

I charge $65-70 per hour...($65 in the town I teach, $70 out of town)

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 22, 2008

I went on Craigslist and saw a few similar job postings in my area. I'll have to make myself sound better! I'll try to think up an ad this week.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2008

I'm cheap by the standards of where I live, and I charge $35/hour plus a $5 fee if I drive to you. Your fee really depends on where you live and your degree level and experience, so you should look around and see what other people similar to your experience are charging in your area. In my area, I could easily get away with twice what I charge, but I don't do it often enough and I'm not trying to make a living out of it, so I don't bother.

Another place to look are community colleges. I work in a student services department at a large CC at night and we get at least a couple phone calls a week from people looking for tutors for their school age kids. While we don't deal with that, we have employees who tutor on the side, and we refer those calls to them. Also, depending on the CC, there could be a large population of non-traditional students who have kids who need tutors. A flyer on the community BB on campus might attract some students. I would also put flyers up in grocery stores and ads in community papaers, as well as craigslist.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2008

I want to start tutoring next year. I totally NEED the extra $.

However, I also had talked to a parent about tutoring her child this summer. She wrote me a nice card and gave it to me saying she would contact me. Nothing yet. I am waiting! My P even gave me permission to use the library conference rooms for tutoring!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 27, 2008

Thanks for all the advice. I posted on craigslist and Sittercity. Has anyone tried Sittercity? I don't know if I posted the right way or if there is a fee to post. There was so much information.
    I saw some handmade signs at the grocery store for available tutors. If I make one I will definitely make it more professional looking. I wouldn't want a tutor for my child who didn't even know how to make a nice looking poster :unsure:

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

Every year, our head secretary asks for a list of people who are interested in tutoring so she can tell the parents if anyone calls for info. Maybe leave your name with your secretary too! :)

11. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Our school has a tutoring list that is given to the teachers right before conference times. Most of the kids I tutor come from word of mouth from other teachers.

12. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

There are also online tutoring options, if you're interested in that avenue. You can message me for more information on what I do.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 29, 2008

I work in a private school (Special Education). There are no opportunities for tutoring those students so I would have to look in the community. I am asking people who live near me if they know anyone who would be interested so that's the only way I can get the word of mouth thing going.

14. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Sittercity and Craigslist are both free and very easy to use. There's also a website called care.com you could try.