Summer tutoring

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 3, 2002

I need help from all you veteren teachers who have done summer tutoring. I am going to be doing it for the first time this summer and would apprecite any ideas. Thanks Jamie

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Mar 4, 2002

Since you are going to be tutoring in the summer you will not have the text books that the students use during the year. When I did tutoring one summer, the parent requested the child get to keep her textbook for the summer (math), she also had the teacher write down the main areas of need for this child. I went through and taught each lesson, I also reviewed them. When I thought she had it, I would move on to new topics, but would have her do "quizes" at the beginning of every hour to really make sure she had the concept. I also did multiplication timed tests to improve her speed. The parents even had her do time tests during the week. We reviewed a whole text book in a matter of a couple months. I was able to fill in the gaps that she had missed during the year.

Make sure the student really knows the material, the parent will expect to see results the following year. Good Luck!!

Sharlene

4. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Mar 4, 2002

Another thing I would suggest is not to forget to make it fun for the child. It's hard to be tutored during the summer, when your friends aren't. What I used to do is make sure I had some sort of quick learning game for us to play after we were done with the lesson. For instance, one of my students was having trouble with the "strategies" involved in math, so we would end our session playing some sort of strategic game. It gives the child something to look forward to, and they're learning without realizing it. I also used a lot of hands-on techniques for teaching, just as in the regular school year. Good luck and have fun :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Mar 7, 2002

In my experience it is helpful to provide materials for the students you tutor. This allows you time to test them and determine their ability levels so that materials used are appropriate for their needs.