Summer Trainings

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newteachfl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I'm just curious how other county's trainings work over the summer (and throughout the year). I think my school district is really good at them. They offer them in a variety of different content areas (math, reading, science, writing, social studies) and I almost always get a lot out of them--occationally there's a dud. Usually we get materials out of them AND our hourly rate of pay.

I was just curious if that was standard or not. Our district is telling us how lucky we are and in other districts teachers have to pay for professional development. That seems crazy to me.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

While we don't get paid for attending any summer professional development, the workshops offered by my school board are usually free. They do a great 4-day session in mid-August for teachers new to the board or new to their teaching assignment. Two-or three-day sessions are also offered in math strategies, differentiated instruction and Tribes. My teacher federation (union) offers amazing PD over the summer as well. The 3-day sessions cost only $40. and provide a wealth of information and resources.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

This has always been a standard at the districts I have worked in. I have worked in four districts in 2 differing states. :dizzy: And yes, most of the training is very beneficial to me. However, I rarely get paid to do professional development. I did get paid a few times. But for the most part, the benefit is that the district pays for the classes. We do get the materials. So, I guess, you should consider yourself lucky to get paid your hourly rate. Have fun!:)

5. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 10, 2009

I guess I am lucky. And although I love making some extra money over the summer, I think that them paying us is probably a bad idea.

I met one teacher at a training who said she'd gone to a training ever day over the summer (except Friday because the district closes down). Sometimes, she said, she'd do the primary and intermediate version, even though she teaches 4th grade. She's obviously taking advantage of the situation and just going to make money. Which is a real waste of money---in my opinion.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

Our district offers some choices over the summer. We don't get paid and the teachers wouldn't have to pay for the training, but sometimes they charge the schools -which may be more because of the economy now, I don't know. It sucks because sometimes something really good comes up and summer is the worst time for us to ask for money since schools are waiting for their new budgets to kick in for next year and don't have anything left now.

They also tend to offer the same programs every year, so if you attend summer training, there isn't really anything new to go to. I do like to get a jump on those required prof. dev. hours though-don't like to go during the school day and miss class.

7. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

We have a huge variety of things, mainly offered the week after school is out, but some over the summer, too. There's usually a $100 a day stipend and we get good materials as well. I was lucky to win some good drawings they had at the workshop I went to.