summer teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Irma, May 25, 2009.

1. Irma

Irma Companion

May 25, 2009

Every year it's the same- I finish teaching and want some type of summer adventure instead of cleaning my house....but what??

Now that my son is old enough (6), I am serious about doing something different the summer of '10. Since my youth was spent working at a camp, I've considered working at a resident camp in a different state...but where? how? I also heard that there are programs at national parks- teach outdoor programs, get your room, etc. but where? how?

Anyone have any ideas for me? I am serious about this for next summer. I am done with being home cleaning the house all summer.

:)Thanks!

3. SoCal_Sub

SoCal_Sub Rookie

May 25, 2009

Let me understand this. You work all year long, and when summer time comes, you don't want to spend it with your son? So you're trying to find more work so you'll have less time with your son? You're son is your first priority. How about doing "mommy and son" stuff together for the summer? Or does that get in the way of your career?

4. bowen012

bowen012 New Member

May 26, 2009

Check Camp Lohikan in the Pocono Mountains.

search for camp lohikan since I cannot post a link

Senior Staff positions in a number of areas. Pay isn't great (around $3000 plus meals, lodging, & trips to parks and attractions), but it is an easy job in beautiful scenery. Camp runs from mid June to mid August.

5. Irma

Irma Companion

May 27, 2009

Thanks. Hopefully I can find something- I've really got the urge to do something next summer for sure....

6. SoCal_Sub

SoCal_Sub Rookie

May 27, 2009

Did you not read my comment? Or are you insisting on abandoning your son next summer?

7. melnm

melnm Companion

May 27, 2009

There are seasonal positions at national parks for the summer months. My husband used to work as a park ranger for the Carlsbad Caverns during summer months in college. I know there was a teacher that worked out there as a seasonal ranger too.

8. Irma

Irma Companion

May 28, 2009

Did he have "connections" in order to land the job? I'm curious if I need to know someone to get those jobs....

9. melnm

melnm Companion

May 28, 2009

Not really. He did work for the concession area during high school at the Caverns, which was owned by a private company, but he had to apply and interview to be a seasonal ranger. He knew many of the people and volunteered some in his time off, but I don't think any of that mattered. There were people from all over the country that would come in and work for the summer months then go back to school. And they had never been to the Carlsbad Caverns before or known anyone there. Just applied, interviewed and were hired.

If there is a specific park you are interested in, maybe you could contact them with questions about it. Hope you find something! I think it would be fun to do maybe someday when my husband and I retire.