summer school

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by sarbea, May 26, 2008.

1. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

May 26, 2008

I teach 1st and 2nd grade. We have two weeks of summer school from 9-1/4 days a week....so a total of 8 days. It seems a little unnecessary, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for fun, simple ways to enhance these kids learning in 2 weeks? I have 5 first/going-to-be second graders and 6 second/going to be third graders.

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 26, 2008

I would work on reading skills, do some science observation/experiments outside, write about it, paint about it, and then do some math strategy work.

I am teaching high school remedial reading 2.5 hours a day for 13 days and my plan is to have the kids read independently for 30 minutes a day. Following that we will all read a non-fiction piece from a newspaper and then discuss it. They will each be responsible for reading at home 30 minutes a day and journalling about what they read. We will also work on skill drills for different types of test questions. How do answer a comprehension question, how to compare contrast something, how to support your writing with details, etc.