summer school

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bigv, Oct 7, 2018.

1. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

I realize as even as an elementary teacher I may have to do summer school. That's about a week after school is out. Let's assume this is in Northern CA between Sacramento and Merced where I live, including anywhere in between (eg Tracy and Modesto especially). In that week, will I still be able to vacation like visit somewhere out of state or does it HAVE to be preparation for summer school? For the record they stopped doing elementary summer school in Modesto for my school 15 years ago.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 7, 2018

Why do you think you would have to do summer school? Is this written into your contract? Have other teachers said this?

CA has unions, right? So I can't imagine you being in a situation where you HAVE to do summer school unless it's a charter school. Even so, you should have been told this up front. I always did summer school and then several years ago my district got rid of it due to budget cuts. I enjoyed it because it was a lot easier than the regular school year, yet I actually got paid more for my time than I did in the regular year. The schedule was also much shorter (typically half days- one district even did half days 3 days per week), so it still felt like a "break" to me over the regular school year.

In the districts I've worked in, there was competition for these positions because people wanted the extra money. Even if that's not the case where you are, no one should be saying that you have to do summer school. Check with the union if you have questions.

4. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

Oh. Well for what it’s worth I want to be an elementary teacher. What district do you teach in? What city and state? I mean you saw but I’m talking about the north and central CA region between Sacramento and Merced.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2018

I'm not aware of it in my area. Some students with IEPs have the assistance of an extended-year "summer" program, but I don't think there's a general summer school.

6. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

Where do you work? District city and state? I figure I can ask since it’s not like I’m asking for your address.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2018

Box Elder District, Willard, Utah

8. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

I’m North CA. Lol

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 7, 2018

I'm not in CA. I didn't realize you weren't teaching yet. This seems like something you don't need to be worrying about right now. I can assure you that public schools in any location simply don't work like that. No one is going to make you teach summer school. If you are truly concerned you can always ask about it prior to accepting a job.

10. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

I don’t want to drag this but look I just want to take advantage of my big vacation. When you say ask about it before accepting, if you can be exact, what are chances I can only work at a (public) school if I teach summer school?

11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2018

Pretty low. I'm not aware of any who do it per basic contract. Places that do have it usually post the job offer, they don't make teachers do it. Or, and I think this is the exception, it is a thing, but they let you know about it at interview and contract time.

12. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

Where do you teach? City and state?

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 7, 2018

The name of your city is North?

14. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 7, 2018

The region is north ca

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 8, 2018

I’ve taught 26 years. My husband has taught 25 years in another district. Neither of us has ever been required to teach summer school. Funding for extended school services hasn’t been available for a long, long time. Districts typically don’t even offer summer school anymore.

Your contract will state the specifics of what you have to do.

We never manage to get out of school on the date originally planned due to snow days, so we know not to plan anything for at least three weeks after school is scheduled to be out to avoid scheduling over school days or PD days. You’ll learn those kinds of things when you join a district.

16. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 8, 2018

Where do you teach?

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 8, 2018

We are in rural public districts in east-central Kentucky. DH is in a bigger district, but he is in a rural school. My school is higher-poverty and way more rural.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 8, 2018

I teach in NY and most schools that have summer school ask for people to apply for the summer teaching positions so unless it's written in your contract that you are working the summer session then you probably wont' have to.

Backroads likes this.
  19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 8, 2018

Right. My school has an extended year so we have to work during the summer program. Also, the public school would be considered a year round school if the teachers were required to work during the summer.

20. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 17, 2018

I slacked on this but what do you mean summer program exactly? Extended year means ending in late June?

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 17, 2018

Summer program is 6 weeks. It is written into the students' IEPs. It's just the way the IEP is written at my school. I think you're getting hung up on just semantics. We end in late June. Summer program is 3 weeks in July and 3 weeks in August and we come back in September. It doesn't really matter what it's called.

22. bigv

bigv Rookie

Oct 17, 2018

If I may can I see your schedule to get an idea please? For all I know I may move to New York and be a teacher one day.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 17, 2018

Every district is different. I don't think you should be worrying about summer school at this point. Why so anxious about it?