Summer School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 27, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 27, 2018

Anyone planning to teach summer school?

In the past, summer school was five weeks long. However, this year, it was shortened to four weeks. I sat on the interview panel and it seems as though there were fewer applicants this year.

Maybe one of these summers, I'll apply for a summer principalship. Then again, maybe not! Haha!

3. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 27, 2018

Your district is already interviewing for summer school teachers?! I applied for summer school already for the 1st time. I have not heard anything yet.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 27, 2018

We don't even take applications until May. I might seriously apply for the first time this year since I'm trying to buy a house.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 27, 2018

I am teaching summer school this year. It’s four days a week for the month of June. 8:00-1:00 daily, so I’ll still have time to enjoy the day after dismissal.

6. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 27, 2018

I love our summer school. I have taught it the past 3 years, and plan to continue this year. It is ONLY for kids looking to accelerate and take an extra year of math in the summer (i.e. taking algebra 1 the summer after 7th grade so they can take geometry in 8th grade). It is not for remediation.

It is usually less than 20 students, and there are two of us co-teaching the class. (This means one of us can plan ahead or grade while the other is teaching so there is no need to do any work at home.) It is 4 days a week from 7:30-12:30 for 6 weeks (end of June through early August). The pay works out to around $350 per day so it is a nice little end of summer boost to my bank account as it is all paid in one lump sum.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 27, 2018

My district only did twelve days of summer school last year. Yes. 12. That’s not enough time! I won’t be volunteering to teach SS this year. It’s not worth the hassle and is rather pointless.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2018

Our summer school runs for 3 weeks in July, right after school lets out. It is offered for grades 7 and 8 only, for students who need reinforcement of math and literacy concepts. They students have 2.5 hours of each subject. The pay is great, which is why the positions are so competitive, but the class sizes are fairly large (25 students) and many of the students are ELL or have IEPs.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 28, 2018

So they give you a check for $350/day*24days or $8,400 in one payment?! Lucky!

Smart decision on your part to take up the offer. My private school doesn’t offer summer school, but I would do it if I got paid like you. Man, I’m jealous.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 28, 2018

12 days for summer school? Pfft, what moron came up with that idea? Lol.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 28, 2018

I’ve never worked summer school, but do you get paid at the same rate that you would during the regular academic school year?

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 28, 2018

Yeah, though we are usually off for July 4 if that falls on one of the class days so it is 23 days, and the taxes and things do take a chunk out of it as well so it's usually more in the 6.something k neighborhood for take-home pay, but still worthwhile.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 28, 2018

In my district, yes. Not sure how other districts structure it, though.

14. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Mar 28, 2018

Where do you work? That's two 1/2 months of pay for me! I worked summer school once, it was only about 1200 for the summer. It was nice, but I was exhausted in September.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2018

I don't. I'm really "all-in" during the school year, and need that time to decompress, reflect, and set up my thoughts for next year. In addition, it gives me an opportunity to work on the math competition tests I write before the stress of school starts up. The summers are really nice around here :) .

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2018

Nope. I never have, and I hopefully will never have to. I really need my summer breaks!

whizkid likes this.
  17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 28, 2018

Wow! And you deserve every penny! :)

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2018

My district hasn't offered summer school for several years. I did it my first year here and then they cut it, claiming the student gains weren't big enough to justify the expense. This year they randomly posted a few summer school positions, but according to the postings it's only going to be 2 weeks long (and half days also). They also only posted for one teacher per grade level for the entire district. We're a small district, but even so that means realistically only 1-2 children per class can go. We're a low SES district- at least half are below grade level.

I've applied, but haven't heard anything (we're on spring break now), nor have teachers heard anything about selecting students to attend or what it will look like. Our district/individual schools have gotten several grants this year so we were wondering if possibly they needed to offer summer programming as a requirement for one/some of those grants. I'm not sure what they're really expecting 2 weeks of half days for a very small percentage of our students is really going to accomplish.

The pay is $40 per hour, which is about 4x more than you can get in any other sort of part time job (there isn't really a market for elementary tutoring in my area- I know that's different elsewhere). The pay doesn't change depending on years of experience or MA vs. BA or anything like that, so I suppose how "worth it" it is changes depending on where you are on the salary scale/what you get paid normally. As a brand new teacher with just a BA, that was about twice what I was making per hour (if I calculated it that way) during the school year. For a very experienced teacher with her MA degree it could end up being less.

You also get paid for one hour of planning time for every four hours of instruction, and summer school tends to be a lot easier than the typical school year because there aren't all the "extras"- it's just teaching. My previous districts also sort of had an "unwritten rule" that you didn't send kids with behavior issues to summer school, but that wasn't true last time I worked it in this district. I've thought about trying to get some sort of other part time job (retail, etc.) in the summers to make extra money and do something "different" but the thought of working for $10 an hour just kills me.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 31, 2018

We don't even offer summer school. Not enough funding.

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 31, 2018

Why not just tutor over the summer? I charge $70/hr currently and charge double on the weekends! ;)

21. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 31, 2018

At least around me the demand drops greatly over the summer. I'd imagine it drops even further for elementary where the demand is lower even in the school year.

22. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 31, 2018

Interesting! For me, it’s the exact opposite. Demand picks up in the summer because I live within the vicinity of a community college and university (in the next town over) and so students contact me constantly. High school students, in particular, inquire about my tutoring services because they want to get ahead content wise and/or they have a class to make up to graduate on time. Business is good!

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

As I said in the post, there is no market for elementary tutoring in my area.

24. Elisabet Esteva

Elisabet Esteva Rookie

Apr 1, 2018

same, theres just not enough funding

25. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Apr 1, 2018

That sucks! What about outside your area?