Summer School

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherApr, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 24, 2011

wow....I don't think my "area" will EVER learn.

We have 1 summer school going on right now where there is a max of 12-15 students per classroom AND a para with each classroom. Our next summer school is starting in a few weeks and is designed for the VERY low students. Classroom size......32 RIGHT NOW! But I was "told" that about 24 will show up. WILL THEY EVER LEARN?! How do you increase such low student's reading and math levels with such large class sizes?! Not only that but I have had Intervention groups of all very low students of over 20 and it was a NIGHTMARE as far as behavior goes.

While I am VERY grateful to be teaching this summer to get extra money, this is still ridiculous.

What are everyone else's size of classrooms for the summer?

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 24, 2011

I'm not teaching summer school, but I heard some of the classrooms have 26 or 27 students. Like you said, apparently a lot of those students won't show up or they will drop out over time.

I wonder why. Who would want to send their child to a mad house each day? These children need intense, individualized (or small group) instruction and they won't be getting it if administrators are strategically overcrowding classrooms to save on personnel.

I feel as if you'll pretty much be babysitting instead of teaching, sorry to say.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2011

My district decided not to offer summer school in elementary for a variety of reasons this summer, one of which is that it hasn't been shown to have much of a positive impact.

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 24, 2011

Yep, babysitting. Oh well 4 hours and good money. I'll just do it for the money then move the H outta here.....

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2011

Most districts in my state do not offer elementary summer school because they cut it out of the budget years ago. Only SpEd students get summer school. I'm working in an academic based summer enrichment program put on by a nonprofit in partnership with an urban school district, funded by grant money. I disagree that summer programs don't have a positive impact, at least in low-income areas with a very high percentage of ELs like the one I'm working in. I've read research on this in my Master's classes. Things are probably different in higher income areas, though.

As to the OP, ridiculous class sizes for intervention! Very sad. :(

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 24, 2011

We haven't offered summer school in a couple of years (due to budget constraints). I've never taught summer school; however, I've heard that class sizes were 16-20 max.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 24, 2011

Oh my! We have a max of 12 students per class for summer school. I couldn't imagine more than 16 at the most.