Summer School Math

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by akahn, Jun 23, 2012.

1. akahn

akahn Rookie

Jun 23, 2012

Hi!

I am teaching summer school this year for special education students who were recommended to have an extended school year program. Unfortunately, I do not have access to any of their IEPs so I really don't know where to begin! In one of my classes I will have 10 children ranging in age . going into 2nd grade to going into 5th grade. This is such a huge range of skills, so I will be differentiating like crazy and I will probably have math groups. I am wondering if anyone out there has any advice on what a good scope and sequence is for me to follow. Should I start with place value, number operations, etc? I do not have a curriculum to follow and don't have student IEPs to follow so I am feeling a bit lost.

Any help, suggestions, tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Ari

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

So, you are teaching summer school for SPED children that you don't know and have no IEP on which to base your instructional decisions, and you have no curriculum.

I would be making a phone call asap to the powers that be in that district and demand to know why they have left you so unprepared.

Meanwhile, I would begin with place value and move on to basic facts. I would incorporate word problems and lots of hands on manipulative activities.

If the district continues to leave you in the dark, maybe you can access the school website and look for scope and sequence for there math program.

If you post what math curriculum the school uses, maybe someone here uses the same one and can look up info for you.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2012

I agree, call the person who hired you. In summer school, the students should be working on their IEP goals to make sure that they don't have any regression at the start of next school year. You need to get a copy of their goals.

5. kennydill

kennydill New Member

Jun 29, 2012

Hi Kahn!

I am teaching special education math this summer as well. Really, just a refresher of stuff we covered during the year (so nobody forgets what they learned). My kids are kindergarten to third-grade.

Here is what I suggest:

Start with counting. They have to master the order of those dang numbers. Take it all the way to 100.

Start counting backwards. Start from 10, move to 20, finish counting down from 100.

Start addition. This is really just counting anyway. It helps a lot when the numbers are already in the right order.

Start subtraction. This is really just counting backwards. Those numbers had better be in order already.

Start counting by 2s, 3s, 5s, and 10s. Practice, practice, practice; forwards and backwards.

Start multiplication. This is really just more counting, just like you practiced in the last step.

Start division. Now you count the number of times it takes to count, by the given number, up to the given number.

Hopefully, this can get you to the end of the summer ; ) I don't really know how other special education math teachers do it, but I get to make up my own curriculum and focus heavily on operations. Let some other teacher pound the vocabulary into their heads. You focus on getting them to do actual, factual math.

I invented some flash cards for the Kindle (you can use them on your phone, computer, tablet, etc.) to help with practicing addition, multiplication, and division in randomized order. The kids love them. Best of all, the random addition flash cards are free today only (a $3.99 value).

I'm a newbie here, so I can't post a link... just go to amazon and search for 'Kenny Dill'. Enjoy, and good luck!

p.s. tell a friend!