Summer school in special ed district

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by luv2teach415, Jun 28, 2015.

1. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Jun 28, 2015

I need advice. I'm teaching summer school to a special ed classroom in a special ed district. This will be my first time strictly teaching special ed, and though I have quite a few years teaching under my belt and have had kids with learning disabilities, I'm still feeling overwhelmed. I don't know the kids that I will have for the summer. I don't even know their specific needs (academic, behavioral, social/emotional, or a combination). I know I will have an assistant and some aides, but again, I don't know who they are. Should I just focus on classroom rules, getting to know each other, and icebreakers for the first day? What kind of icebreakers or activities should I do on the first day? But then again, I'm not sure of the students I will have and how much they will be able to do. I just need some advice as I am feeling sooo overwhelmed and not sure what to do.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 28, 2015

I'd contact the person running the program and ask to see current IEPs.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 29, 2015

I was going to say this also. You can't plan anything until you know what the student needs are like. In my experience, and this may not be the same everywhere, students in ESY (summer school for sped) tend to have significant disabilities. In my area it is pretty much impossible to qualify a mild/moderate student for ESY. Icebreaker activities may be difficult depending on your student population. When I taught ESY, only one of my students could communicate verbally and many were not fully mobile either. The typical getting to know you/icebreakers/rules etc. that you would do in a regular class just wouldn't work for them.

5. alsolo11

alsolo11 Rookie

Jul 2, 2015

I would contact the people who are running the Summer school program. In my district, teachers who are working ESY Summer school are given a one-day training with course materials provided.