Summer School Help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jlyn07, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I'm teaching math for summer school to students with learning disabilities. Each class is 45 minutes long and they want it to be as hands on/multi-sensory as possible. My problem: 7th and 8th graders. I'm having trouble finding hands on things that they wouldn't see as babyish. Most are at a 5/6 grade level but even finding stuff for that grade with no worksheets is tough. Anyone have any fun game ideas or anything at all??

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

What about legos? You can pull in so much math using them.

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

What topics are you covering for math for summer school?

One suggestion on Money:
    Have them create a restaurant menu. Have students work together in creating a menu. After creating the menus, have them practice adding up prices and making change.

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

Great pointers, j97 and irecess (legos) :thumb:

Graph paper - design floor plan of house (geo' and measurement). Add furniture and stuff to scale. Find area, perimeter for carpets etc.

6. Alen Jones

Alen Jones Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

Try to make them learn with help of computer program. Make ppt in which you can explain the concept with help of images or with Internet you can find many things that will give you options for this.

7. harun55

harun55 Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

I want to also share my few moments which was very exhausted, one day i was teach in school for 2 hours in that day i feel this field is so difficult.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

I can pretty much cover anything I want. I have fractions, measurement, money, geometry, operations and time on my curriculum right now.

There are no computers, unless I bring in my laptop from home, which I'm not completely comfortable with. If I had access to a computer and smartboard I'd have tons of ideas.

Another issue is 3 of my students are well above the other kids; 2 are about average and 1 is on a second grade level. I don't know how to meet all of their needs without making the 1 feel completely out of place.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2012

You can work ddecimals into so many real life situations.

Bring in a page from the real estate section,and an Ikea catalog Have them decide on a rental apartement, and deterimine whether it's cheaper to rent or buy over the course of a year. Five years. Ten years. Then have them decorate on a budget.

Then have them buy a car, using the formula for simple interest to determine their monthly payments.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2012

I had a whole post typed up, but my computer is being annoying.

Anyways, work with recipes: fractions (multiplying to serve more people, dividing for less), comparing/ordering the quantities of the ingredients, converting measurements. You can change up the numbers on the recipes so everyone has one at their level or they could be working on different skills. You could also change the fractions in the recipes so they would have to find equivalents or simplify to know which measuring cup to use.