Summer school from hell.

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by kevmic28, Jun 28, 2013.

1. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 28, 2013

I just finished a 3 week summer school. 3rd graders. 4 hours a day 5 days a week for 3 weeks. Reading academy. I have to say this really made me question why I want to teach.
    This was set up to be a reading academy to help struggling readers. Students were selected by their teachers to get them the extra help they needed. Instead other teachers sent the worst behavioral problems as a punishment. Each school sent 20 to 25 kids. 6 schools, so that's 120+ third graders. Now one school never sent the notes home so 20 kids didn't show up. Funny thing is the school that didn't send the notes is the school where summer was at. So we only had 100 third graders.

This was set up to be a 10 to 1 ratio of small groups. Sounds great right??? Well the first day orientation I was handed a roll sheet with my name on it that had 12 kids. Then they came back and handed me a second roll sheet with 13 names on it and no teacher name on it. Ok so I get it I am going to have a full class. I heard they couldn't get enough teachers do to professional developments going on. so I understood. So I go check out my room to figure what I need to do to get started and that's when I find out I am sharing a room with another teacher and she has 25 students also. Ok so now there is 50 kids in one room and only 24 seats.

So we get to talking and find out there are 4 3rd grade teachers in 2 rooms and 100 kids. So now I am thinking OMG what did I get myself into.

Day one of hell.... lol

We got to the cafeteria to pick up the kids and what Kaos it was. 1st thru 5th in the cafeteria. Kids screaming and running around. They call each grade out to the hallway to get them separated to go to class.
    3rd graders come out and its crazy. Each teacher calls out the kids on their list and when we are done only about 50 of the kids on the lists are there. But there is a problem. There are another 40 plus kids still standing there that were not called. We talk to the administrator and he hands us a handful of roll sheets that he didn't have teachers for. Come to find out there was supposed to be 12 3rd grade teachers and we only had 4. If I didn't need the money to move across the state to my new teaching job I would have walked right then.
    Ok so we divide up the rest of the kids and take them to our rooms. So this is a reading academy, 4 hours a day. We didn't have dra levels on half the students and the others were not correct. We were required to do an beginning individual assessment for each student and again at the end of summer school. It took most of the first week to get that done. Sadly we didn't have any information on the students. We didn't know if they had learning disabilities, if they were bilingual students or what.. Luckily by Thursday of the first week we got an aid to help out.

Now back to the first day. It was crazy. I have never seen so many rude and disrespectful students in one classroom before. I actually had one student put his hands on me the first day and try to snatch my pen off my chest. I make pens for a hobby so I had a nice one that day clipped to my shirt. Talked to admin on that one to no help.

So to make a long story short the 3 weeks was full of discipline issues. Constantly taking kids to the office, rude disrespectful kids, not all but most. I actually had another student put his hands on me when he decided to try to pin my arm down and raise my shirt sleeve to see my tattoo on my arm. As the weeks went on students stopped coming and by the last 3 days we were down to 23 students in each class. Its sad but not much learning went on. We were basically free baby sitters.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

How terrible! For you and more importantly, the kids who needed to learn :(

4. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jun 28, 2013

That's horrible! I'm glad you made it through to the end.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 28, 2013

The closest I can get to a bright side now is that any future classes you will have will be a discipline breeze by comparison.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

Trial by fire...and you made it through :hugs:

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2013

Exactly my thought!:thumb:

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 28, 2013

Regular school won't be like that so don't doubt your desire to teach. I'm glad you made it through the three weeks.

We were told not to send absentee and discipline problems to our summer school. I taught a one week stint and I had a much different experience.

9. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 28, 2013

Thanks yall for the support.
    The first and second grade didn't have the problems we did but 4th grade did if not worse.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2013

We specifically did not send students who were big behavior problems to summer school. I just finished my summer school stint and had a fairly good experience. The only issue was that it was supposed to an enrichment program for high students, and one school apparently was confused and sent their intervention students. That was frustrating but we figured it out. Your experience sounds horrible! At least you finished and probably made a decent amount of money out of it!

11. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 28, 2013

Yes I made enough to cover first months rent and deposits so I can move. Now I just need to pay for the uhaul and gas out of pocket.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2013

It sounds like most of your problems were caused by poor administration!

13. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 28, 2013

Yeah that's a big part of it. The acting principal quit the first day.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 28, 2013

Whoa. You're amazing to stick with it despite everything. This is something you need to mention in future interviews.