Summer School--1 More Day!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Jul 23, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2009

Tomorrow is the last day of summer school. The past 3 weeks have gone pretty quickly. We have a "fun" day planned for tomorrow--a tradition at the site I'm at. The kids have been working hard and deserve a little less structure for the last day.

There's been much discussion among the staff about whether or not we will teach summer school next year. At this point, I certainly wouldn't make a commitment, but would consider it. Now that I have done it once, I know what things I would do again and what I would do differently. When planning, I was very unrealistic in my expectations of what we would be able to accomplish. I probably covered half of what I had originally planned. My students also came up with some neat variations on assignments that I will certainly incorporate into my plans.

I'll celebrate the start of my summer vacation by spending the weekend on my own as everyone else in my family is going their separate ways. Next week I'm taking my daughter to Niagara Falls shopping for a couple of days (a trip made possible by my summer school earnings!).

3. massacremayhem

massacremayhem Rookie

Jul 23, 2009

I hope that all goes well on the last day! I have a few questions about teaching summer school, if you don't mind. The questions are open to all those who wish to respond and share their experiences.

Recently, I've been reading lots of articles talking about how states across the nation are cutting funding for summer schools and other summer enrichment programs in an attempt to balance budgets and reduce deficits. Have you or your colleagues noticed this? I've talked to several teachers over the past few weeks and one in particular told me that her colleagues are finding it difficult to find summer teaching positions and that many have resorted to mowing lawns and working at fruit stands to bring in some extra income.

Has anyone else been impacted by the shrinking number of summer schools?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

Summer school at the elementary level in my board is very small. It is only offered after grades 7 and 8 and is an optional reinforcement program--it has no impact on advancement. I would guess that, on average, only 2 or 3 students from any given grade 7 or 8 class would opt to attend at one of the 5 locations across my school board (which has over 150 elementary schools).

It is difficult getting a job teaching summer school--I was lucky to have worked with the summer school principal last year and I was in the right place at the right time as he needed a Special Ed teacher. My sense is that it will be easier to continue next year if I decide to do it again.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

Mrs C, there's NOTHING like that last day of summer school!!! Now your vacation can really start!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2009

massacre, I'm in a Catholic HS, so I'm sure the rules are different.

But we offer summer school to anyone who has failed any course. They go to ss. every day for a week, 4 hours a day plus 2 or so hours of homework. At the end of that week, they take another final exam (we don't do Regents.) If they pass that exam, they've passed the class. If they fail, they've failed out and transfer out of the school.

Our ss classes are pretty small-- this year I had 5 kids in Algebra I (one of whom had missed the first final because of the flu--regular flu--and not actually failed the course.) I also had one 7th grader, the only one who failed that course. At the end of the week, the lowest grade in my class was a 74-- two kids got 98's on their finals. So no one failed out.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 24, 2009

Yeah Mrs. C.!! I hope you have a fun weekend relaxing and chatting on A to Z.

Shopping with your daughter sounds fun. I've been spending so darn much money on doctors, glasses, car...I hope I have some left for school shopping;)

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

massacremayhem

In answer to your question about summer school, we cancelled summer school for the adult school this year. The v.p. of the high school told me he will recommend we don't have summer school next year. The chair of the community college's child development department told me she doubts they will have summer school next year. By the way, the part time community college instructors in my community were all pink slipped Friday and the full time staff and tenured staff have to take over their classes and school starts Monday!