summer romance novel

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by patti2, Jun 9, 2007.

1. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

ughhhhhhhhh I am sick of reading school related books.....I want to sit on the deck with an iced tea and a romance novel and CHILL out. I used to love LaVyrle Spencer's books. What are you all reading? DON'T TELL ME HARRY WONG!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 9, 2007

I just finished Zorro by Isabelle Allende. It's pretty good! It covers his life from a very young child to *just* before he officially becomes Zorro. A little more adventure and less romance, but still a good story.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 9, 2007

I love Fern Michaels. Her stuff is usually really funny. I don't love her early books, but her more recent stuff is great. Of course Nora Roberts is awesome. If you like a spooky slant to your romance book, try Heather Graham.

5. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jun 9, 2007

I love anything by Nicholas Sparks....I just started reading Dear John

(Why can't I get it to underline??? Oh well, I tried!)

6. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 10, 2007

It does not matter what the title of the book is or the author... as long as it's a sleazy romance novel, I'm all for it!! I just finished up a book from the "Blaze" Harlequin series... not sure of the title though. I need to go to the thrift store or library to pick some more up. The books I have here, I have read at least twice each.

On the other hand, I have Ron Clark's "The Essential 55" on my end table to read at some point.

7. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jun 10, 2007

I am reading "Back on Blossom Street" by Debbie Macomber, but it is the third in a long awaited series!

Also I would reccomend the "Yada Yada Prayer Group" series by Neta Jones!

8. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

not so much sleezy romance but her books are wonderful. Jodi Picoult is an amazing author. I just finish 19 Minutes and I am going back and reading Plain Truth. She always plays the other side and makes you really begin to like the side you shouls always hate. You should also read My Sister's Keeper. I have read all her books but Plain Truth and they are WONDERFUl!!!!

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

nicholas sparks, nora roberts, jennier wiesner(sp), wendy markham...are my tops
    I am looking for a good summer book , but I havent found one that looks good yet!

10. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 10, 2007

I, too, have Ron Clark's book sitting there staring at me....but I thumbed through and I just can't go there yet! Maybe August! Thank you for the suggestions above, I am off to the bookstore! :)

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 10, 2007

If you like mysteries, try Deborah Crombie and Elizabeth George.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

I read Jane Green or Philippa Gregory when I don't feel like thinking too much :)

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 10, 2007

I love Nicholas Sparks. I haven't really got into any others. I need to expand my horizons. Hey, I have Ron Clark's book on my nightstand too!!! I started over winter break but never got through it.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

It has been WAAAYY too long since I re-read Gone with the Wind. I know a good portion by heart, but I think I'll dig out my copy and start it as soon as school ends.

If, somehow, you've never read it, you owe it to yourself!!!!!!

For something much lighter, the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella is quick easy reading.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2007

How does one get this free time to read for pleasure?? Sign me up!
    When I was a teen I used to devour Harlequin Romances. I once snuck a Happy Hooker book into the house, from a yard sale! I was maybe 15 or 16. I've always liked Janet Dailey, too.

16. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

I love that books series! I just finished the newest one where she has a baby! :angel:

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.

Becky, that's why my girls are in bed at 8 pm!!

Besides, I'm planning a long lazy summer playing lifeguard by the pool. As long as I'm right there with the kids, I can read and just look up now and then.

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

I just finished Dear John by Nicholas Sparks and I'm reading Two Little Girls in blue which is a light mystery. I always look forward to a new book by Janet Evanovich. I like the numbered book series - it started with One for the Money and 13 is due in June -but not her other books. They're very light and funny.

19. CanTeacher284

CanTeacher284 New Member

Jun 10, 2007

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I'm getting ready to re-read it this summer. This series has everything - romance, history, drama, mystery, action. Love, love, love these books and re-read them almost every year for the past eight years.

20. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 10, 2007

I'm working on Everyone Worth Knowing by the same lady who wrote The Devil Wears Prada. (Can't remember her name right now - Lauren something?) It's good, although not as good as The Devil Wears Prada.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2007

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2007

Dear John is very good. Make time for it this summer. You won't regret it. It's a bit typical for his novels, but very enjoyable.

23. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

I read it every summer in the pool. It's my little celebration of summer. :)

Kelly

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

Thanks...I'll try... I really liked A Bend in the Road & the Guardian! I enjoy all of his, but like you said kinda typical & still fun to read!!!

25. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 17, 2007

Jodi Piccoult "Mercy" is very good. Nora Roberts is also good. Anything by Danielle Steele is easy and full of romance. Memorykeeper's Daughter was good, but intense.

26. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2007

I had gotten tired of Danielle Steele novels but someone recommended "House" to me and it was terrific.

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

Reading - without a grade??

I have a confession to make...I have not read a book that was not required for a grade in 10 years!

My daughter gave me "Friends: A Love Story", by Angela Bassett and Courtney Vance. I told her I would wait until vacation so I could truly enjoy it.

Two things have stopped me from reading. One, I started wearing glasses and I absolutely hate them. If I never had to read, I would never use them. (all 5 pair) I walk around the house with a magnifying glass just to read the bottle of medicine or something.

Two, I really have to force myself to enjoy reading again!:( I've been so used to reading for a grade, I don't know how to just read for fun. I've been going to school and teaching for the last 10 years.

She was so proud to give it to me, because she met them in person and they autographed it!

I honestly didn't want to pick it up, because I am currently single, and I felt reading about a happy couple would just depress me!

I have no life outside of school; learning and teaching.

Somebody give me motivation to read it! :eek:

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2007

Well, don't start with that book!

How about some nonfiction on a subject that interests you... the new Princess Diana book (is it even out yet?), or a biography of someone else? A biography of some of the First Ladies?

I read a great book a few years ago on the Apollo missions. It's the one that HBO used for its From the Earth to the Moon series.

I personally don't like the genre, but how about something scary? Steven King is the only author I can name, but there must be more out there. Or Sci-fi?? (Also not a fan, but others are.) How about Harry Potter? So many people seem surprised to find that they love them.

How about hitting the library and getting some large type books? You could skip the glasses :)

Or, better yet, take a class on something non-academic this summer. Current events, cooking, travel-- someting besides tradtional "learning and teaching"

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

Too late, summer school starts next week. Got books from Amazon.com, haven't opened box.

30. tsrmom

tsrmom Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume (she has written a few adult novels--wait, that sounds bad. Not *adult* novels--novels for adults.:eek: )

31. Ms. Mar Mar

Ms. Mar Mar Guest

Jul 4, 2007

Another good book to read is Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. Anything by Nicholas Sparks is amazing.

32. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

Janet Evanovich books are hilarious! The Number series--One for the Money, Two for the Dough......Are laugh out loud funny! I woke my husband up one night I was laughing so hard in bed. (He wasn't amused.) The language is a little rough at times. They are "mystery" but lots of humor!. Try one--you'll be hooked.

33. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

I also have my start of the summer read books. Nora Roberts Key Trilogy is the best! After, I go to Julie Garwood, Christine Feehan and Amanda Quick.

34. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2007

I just started reading

The Last Time they Met by Anita Shreve.... so far so good.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

I FINALLY got my copy of Gone with the Wind today. Tonight I'm putting the kiddies to bed and pouring a glass of wine and starting to re-read it for the millionth time :)

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2007

I don't know what it is... I can never re read something...

37. Ms. Mar Mar

Ms. Mar Mar Guest

Jul 6, 2007

I agree! But I can re-read The Little Prince over and over again. There is always something new. =)

38. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffin are also great.

I love Nicholas Sparks too. I just finished reading 19 Minutes and do love Joodi Picoult books also. I am into reading James Patterson books too.

39. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2007

I have The Notebook, down stairs on my bookshelf colecting dust. I bought it and never read it.

40. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King, which is the first book of the Mary Russell Series is a must read. I had thought about reading it in college and didn’t get around to it until my roommate recommended it. It’s a mystery series about a girl named Mary who ends up partnering up with the retired Sherlock Holmes. Well researched.

Of course, there’s my all time favorite of Pride and Prejudice.

I can’t wait to go to the library and check some of these recommended books out! I am tiered of reading the same authors and am ready for something new!

41. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 6, 2007

I also love Nicholas Sparks....Did you read his nonfiction book? I didn't think I'd like it, but once I started I couldn't put it down! I'm reading the Janet Evanovich series now also....I'm on #2. It is really funny!