Summer Recipes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by AMK, Jun 27, 2005.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 27, 2005

Anyone want to share their favorite summer recipes?

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2005

One of my favorite things to make during the summer is Italian dressing chicken. I marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing (overnight usually) and then cook it on the grill. Very quick and easy and it's one of my (and my boyfriend's) favorite meals! :)

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 28, 2005

Oh, if you are grilling you have to make ....we usually make them with venison so we call them Deer-doovers (I know...weird name)

Cut chicken breasts into strips about 2 inches by 4 inches (don't have to be perfect, but need to be fairly long. Before grilling lay the chicken strips out on a cutting board. Put a piece of bacon (uncooked) under each strip of chicken (I use half a slice of bacon). Lay a slice of jalepeno (I use 1/2 a slice for me, 2 slices for others) a smear of cream cheese (I've never measured, but about like a pat of butter) and then roll it up. If you have skewers you can put several on one of those, I use a hamburger basket and put toothpicks in them to hold them together. Now they're ready to grill. It doesn't take too long, and you can usually judge by the bacon. When it's ready, usually they are all ready. It may sound strange, but try it before you knock it. They are supposed to be appetizers, but you can make a meal from just them. They are delicious.
    Hmmm....now I want some...I wonder if I have any charcoal!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2005

Of course Jello-poke cake is a must!!!! Any type of fruit salad. My Aunt makes the one that you use cook vanilla pudding & the juice from the cans. If you need it let me know!!!!

Beth just made that chicken the other nite, before reading this!!! It's also one of our favs!!!!

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 30, 2005

I like to do lemon pepper chicken... we use the individual chicken breasts... thaw them, then poke holes with a fork, then sprinkle lemon pepper all over, and rub it in... let them sit to allow it to soak, then cook as you normally would... when I cook them on the stove, I add chicken bullion broth with extra lemon pepper seasoning in it... it's delicious! :)

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 30, 2005

My grandmother bought this book... THE CAKE MIX DOCTOR... 175 cake recipes and more that start with a cake mix but taste like scratch... YUMMY! We've made the Chocolate Covered Cherry cake, honeybun cake, and the tomato soup spice cake (it turned out good... can't taste the maters!). I take a few bites since I can't have a whole slice (TOOO MUCH SUGAR for my system.

I found a carrot salad recipe in a magazine at the doctor office one day and made it... SUNNY SUMMER SALAD (or something like that). Use some shredder carrots, cabbage, raisin, nuts, mandarine orange and mix in some lemon or orange yogurt... YUMMMMMMMY

Lori

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2005

A really easy and simple summer recipe my family likes is:

Mix together cooked bow-tie pasta, Catalina dressing, crumbled feta cheese, a little diced onion. Chill and eat.

It's also good with slivered chicken mixed in with it.

Very easy, very fast, very 'cooling,' and very good.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2005

Here is the best taco salad recipe I have ever tasted :
    1head of lettuce
    1 pound of hamburger
    1 can dark kidney beans ( drained)
    1c cheddar cheese
    1 tomato sliced
    1 bag of Doritos ( smashed)

Sauce-
    1c mild taco sauce
    1c oil
    1/2c ketchup
    1/4c white vinegar
    3/4c sugar

*Mix and Chill*

* add smashed doritos and sauce when ready to serve
    HOPE YOU LIKE IT !!!

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2005

3 cups cauliflower
    1 cup broccoli

mix together:
    1 cup mayonaise
    3 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar (sp?)
    2 tablespoons red wine
    1/2 pound crumbled bacon

Mix together contents and pour over vegetables. Stir well and chill until you serve.

This is the only way I can get my husband to eat broccoli. He loves this stuff.

11. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 10, 2005

Marinate cornish hens in half Dale's seasoning and half water overnight (reduce the Dale's if you don't like a lot of salt). Then cook in a rotissierie or grill them. I have also wrapped them in foil and cooked them in the crockpot. You can also bake them, but who wants to turn on the oven during the summer???

12. KIF

KIF Companion

Jul 14, 2005

2 great sides!

Chili-Lime Corn

Cook corn on the cob as you normally would...when it's done put some butter, chipotle chili powder, and fresh lime juice in the pan (drain the cooking water) and shake it around. It's so yummy!

Potato Salad (a little twist to the old favorite)

I'm not sure of the amounts as I just do what looks right to me...

Boil red skinned potatoes and cool and cube. Add dill pickle relish (or diced dill pickles), watercress (parsley works too), and add (a little at a time) coleslaw dressing. Let sit for awhile, it's great!

Feel free to add red onion, sweet onion, other vegetables...

13. KIF

KIF Companion

Jul 14, 2005

OH no! Don't forget the dijon mustard (1/2 - 1 tablespoon)!

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 25, 2005

I just made this for a cool supper tonight. The recipe came from my latest "Taste of Home" magazine. It was delicious!

Blueberry Chicken Salad
    2 c. fresh blueberries
    2 c. cubed cooked chicken breast
    3/4 c. chopped celery
    1/2 c. diced sweet red pepper
    1/2 c. thinly sliced green onion
    1 carton (6 oz.) lemon yogurt
    3 Tbsp. mayo
    1/2 tsp. salt
    bibb lettuce leaves, optional

Set aside a few blueberries for garnish. In a large bowl, gently combine the chicken, celery, red pepper, onions, and remaining blueberries. Combine the yogurt, mayo, and salt. Drizzle over the chicken mixture and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve on lettuce lined plates, if desired. Top with reserved blueberries.

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 26, 2005

cookie salad

One package of vanilla or banana pudding mix
    1 cup of buttermilk
    1 tub of cool whip
    1 can of crushed pineapple, drained well
    2 cans of fruit cocktail, drained well I get the very cherry kind
    1 package of fudge stripped shortbread cookies

Mix the pudding with buttermilk. Mix in the drained fruit. ( you can use any three cans of fruit you like), I take out 5 of the cherries set aside. Mix in the cool whip. Take about 10 of the cookies and break them in fourths. Flatten out the top and place 5 of the whole cookies on top and put the saved cherries in the middle.

Also I make a Iced coffee I use my Rival snow cone maker (ice shaver) to chop up a large cup of ice, I mix sugar and chocolate syrup and sometimes a little flavoring like almond or mint or coffee liqure into my cold coffee, mix in a little milk and pour it over the ice. If you want freeze some coffee before hand in ice cube trays. I make lemonade ice too, mix lemon juice with splenda then pour it over the crushed ice. :)

I love new recipes, I collect recipe books and read them like others read novels :rolleyes:

16. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 28, 2005

I'm a cookbook collector as well! One of my favorite summer recipes is grilled shrimp. I marinate 1-2 lbs of shrimp in 1/2 c white wine, 1/4c EVOO, the juice of one lemon, a teaspoon of minced garlic, and come parsley. Let marinade in 'fridge for an hour, thread on soaked wooden skewers, and grill,turning often, until no longer pink. Along with a big tossed salad, this is a great warm weather meal.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 29, 2005

Lovelabs, do you watch Rachel Ray? She says EVOO a lot.. LOL

18. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Aug 1, 2005

Yes, I do watch Rachael, but I actually picked that up from a cooking class I took. I'd like to have a catering business someday. I love to cook!

19. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 3, 2005

This one is great for teachers all year- quick and easy!

Chicken Enchiladas

1 large can of canned chicken, drained and flaked
    1 jar of salsa
    1 cup shredded cheese
    7-8 large tortillas
    1 pt. of heavy whipping cream

Mix together chicken and salsa. Put spoonfuls of chicken mixture into center of tortilla. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Roll up tortillas and place in greased casserole dish. Pour whipping cream over tortillas. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.