Summer Reading

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mstnteacherlady, Jun 6, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

We have a lot of things going on this summer, but I still plan to get in some good summer reading time! I, of course, have books that I plan to read that are school related, but those are not the ones I'm talking about here! :)

**Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else...I haven't seen anything but a professional reading list thread.**

I am finishing up My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult right now. I'll have it finished in time to see the movie (didn't even know there was one until I saw the previews today)!

I have several John Grisham books I haven't read and a few Debbie Macomber books set aside to read when I get the chance.

What are you all reading this summer? Are there any new books that I need to check out? Can't wait to see your reading lists!

3. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 6, 2009

The My Sister's Keeper movie does seem like it is going to be good. I'm going to have to read the book as well.

Have you read "The Soloist" by Steve Lopez? The book was made into a movie and was released last month. I recommend that you read it and go see/rent the movie.

My summer reading list is long since I love to read but a few authors that I enjoy are

Eric Jerome Dickey
    Brenda Jackson
    Omar Tyree
    Carl Weber
    R.M. Johnson
    J.D. Mason
    Victoria Christopher Murray

I think you should check out "Genevieve" by Eric Jerome Dickey. It's one of my favorite books by my favorite author.

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 6, 2009

I am currently reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I am about halfway through... and would already put it on my list of top 5 favorites.
    I finished The Soloist just a few weeks ago as well, and was pretty impressed as well!

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

get a box of tissues if you plan on reading my sisters keeper..very good but a tear jerker

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

i'm reading 'Beach Music' by Pat Conroy again...love it

7. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jun 6, 2009

I cried like a little baby over My Sister's Keeper---I loved it :)

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2009

Right now I am reading A Literate Passion: Love letters from Anais Nin and Henry Miller I think after that I will read the His Dark Materials books that I never read last summer.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2009

Oh yeah, by the way, my school is having a book swap for teachers after school tomorrow. The librarian is hosting it and bringing some refreshments, so we can stop in and trade books. Could be a great idea for your school in the last few days

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

We do this once a month! I love it! :)

And I do love My Sister's Keeper. I am so close to the end. Will probably finish tonight because I won't be able to stop reading! :)

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 6, 2009

My Sisters Keeper was heartwrenching. If you like the author, try 19 Minutes. That's my favorite book by Jodi Picoult. She has such a great way of telling a story.
    This week I spent $60 dollars at the bookstore, and 3 of the books I already own! They were getting ratty. I am going to re-read the Mark of the Lion series. I also got P.S. I Love You, which I haven't read yet.
    I'm still trying to work up the nerve to read Pillars of the Earth. It just looks so intimidating! :)

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 6, 2009

Pillars of the Earth was amazing. I could not put it down and didn't want it to end. It was hard to start, as it is soo big, but it is a rather quick read.

13. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

I don't think I've even hear of Pillars of the Earth. Where have I been? Googling now!

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 6, 2009

Thanks Sue! That gives me some motivation. I saw it in paperback this week so it wasn't so big but the print was tiny! I am really going to try and read it this summer.

15. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

I think I'll be adding that to my list. I read a little bit of one of the chapters on Amazon. Sounds like an interesting read.

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 6, 2009

I don't know much about the plot other than it centers around building a cathedral.
    The author is famous for writing mysteries (I think) so this book was completely out of his element. It has gotten great reviews. I saw him when he was on Oprah and it caught my interest.