Summer Reading??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by koocat008, May 30, 2007.

1. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

May 30, 2007

Hi, just wondering what books you all are planning to read for the summer.

I'm a huge sci-fiction fantasy geek...but being an English teacher, I am trying to look outside my genre of choice (I am trying to be a well-rounded reader). I am currently reading In Cold Blood, Wicked, and Running With Scissors. Usually I don't juggle three books, but since I am not that enthusiased because it is not really fantasy/sci-fi, it is taking me an awful long time.

What genre of choice is yours, and what books do you recommend??

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 30, 2007

I typically like chic lit. The Givenchy Code is a very good one. (no, not the DaVinci- Givenchy) I've already pre-ordered the new HP book. I haven't read Wicked but I saw the play, and it is the BEST EVER!

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 30, 2007

I am a picky reader. I like a mix of fiction and non-fiction, and will try almost anything, but I tend to be very critical. If I had to pick a "genre" it might be the crazies--think Sylvia Plath and The Bell Jar. I'm trying to read books from my shelf this summer instead of spending lots on new titles.

Since graduate school/tutoring ended, I am only working one part-time job while I wait for the second/graduate school to start back up for the summer. So far, I have read...

Nursery Crimes (Ayelet Waldman)
    Youth in Revolt (C. D. Payne)
    Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Stephanie Barron)
    Second Draft of My Life (Sara Lewis)
    Teach With Your Heart (Erin Gruwell)

I am in the middle of Bait and Switch by Barbara Ehrenreich. I have the next texts in the Waldman and Barron series sitting on my shelf, and then a variety of other fiction just waiting around (Augusten Burroughs, Francine Prose, David Gutterson, etc.). I'm trying to make the most of my free time.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2007

I just finished the new Jane Hamilton (A Map of the World, Book of Ruth) book, When Madeline Was Young. It was beyond wonderful.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 30, 2007

I have at least one book going at all times, and usually two . . . one at work for when the kids read and one at home.

My favorites are mystery & detective fiction, police procedurals, and psychological thrillers . . . but I'll pretty much read anything. I love to read. I love young adult fiction, too!

I just finished In Cold Blood this morning. I'm not sure what I'm starting next. I took 25 kids on a field trip to the bookstore yesterday, and I have a lot of titles in my head that I want to get from the library. I've curbed my book buying urges and trade with friends or use the library most of the time now. Oh, and I also have an Amazon.com credit card, and after every $2500 I spend, I get a $25 gift certificate. FREE BOOKS!! Woo-hoo!!!

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 31, 2007

I'm supposed to get a job as a reading instructor for a summer program and may continue very part-time in the fall...and every couple weeks I'd introduce a new book...even though they are only going to be for grades 5-8...I'll be reading tons of books!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 31, 2007

In Cold Blood is a riveting book -- I loved to hate it! I just finished reading Kathy Collins book Growing Readers, so now I'm feeling around trying to find something new. I am a readaholic -- I'll read anything. Can labels, street signs, books of all genres, makes no difference to me. If it's got words on it, I'm hooked! Lessee, I have read all of Jean Auel's books (Clan of the Cave Bear series, every Ann Rice book ever written, All of Anne McCaffery's books, most of Scott Turow's tomes, a number of Robert Ludlum's novels, hmmm. There is a cookbook, The Essential Mediterranean that I perused last summer, but really want to read, if I can find it now. It is much more than a cookbook, because it goes into the history and how and why foods are made, etc.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 31, 2007

I have read several Ayelet Waldman Books and enjoyed them. Jeffrey Cohen has a book called For Whom the Minivan Rolls that you will like if your like Ayelet. I try to avoid buying paperback books because I read 2-3 books a week so I just go tot he library instead. I also use paperbackswap.com and half price books to get bargains. The Shopaholic series is good for a relaxing read. I recently got into the Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris (very different than her other series that is about vampires!) For any Janet Evanovich fans, Sarah Strohmeyer has a similar style and a likable character named Bubbles. I also like to catch up on new kids chapter books over the summer.

(note: spell check had a field day with this post - no actual errors!)

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2007

Oh I have too many to read. HP 4-7, Cold Mountain, The Lovely Bones, Cold Treachery, and that's just for starters.

11. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 1, 2007

I may have to look into that. I bought Love and Other Impossible Pursuits on a whim at the Goodwill store--while I don't typically enjoy that type of story line, the diction/syntax was stunning. I picked up the first Mommy Track mystery out of boredom, didn't love it but it found it tolerable.

Do you read mainly the mystery's or the novels? I was looking at her other novel (My Daughter's Keeper) the other day, but decided to hold off on reading it. Just curious if you've read it.

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

My Sister's Keeper is FANTASTIC, Ellen. READ IT!!!! :)

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 2, 2007

I haven't read too many Ayelet Waldman novels, but I have read Daughter's Keeper, I thought it was interesting (and better written than the Mommy Track series) There are several authors that I read and know that the book will be mediocre, but I read so much that I read them anyway :)

14. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Jun 4, 2007

Have any of you ever read Hannibal Rising yet?? I just saw the movie, and I'm wondering if that would be a good selection to read.

15. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 4, 2007

Is that the one by Jodi Picoult? I read that on the recommendation of a friend and hated it. I'm a very fickle reader. I've been meaning to read another Picoult to see if I hate the next one as much as I hated that one.

I'll have to order the other Waldman novel (Daughter's Keeper)--used, it is only $0.95. Maybe I'll add a Picoult novel to my order as well. :D