Summer Reading

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by teachnyc, Apr 4, 2006.

1. teachnyc

teachnyc New Member

Apr 4, 2006

Hello,

I am a first-year, 7th grade, Language Arts teacher and have to assign my summer reading list. In addition, to the readings I also have to give an assignment for each book that will be handed in for a grade. Can anyone recommend assignments and/or books?

Thank you.

3. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Apr 4, 2006

Gathering Blue Lois Lowry (?)
    The giver Lois Lowry (?)
    True Sight ?
    Among the Hidden Margaret P Haddix
    The Girl who Owned a city OT Nelson
    Supernaturalists Eoin Colfer

These are all about futuristic societies some utpian. some dystopian.
    For assignments- Maybe a public advertisement that the main character, his/her foil, or his/her nemesis might have posted at the end of the book. EX: Luke may have posted anti-population law posters in ATH, Lisa might have recruited new members for her society in GOC, Cosmo might have posted an ad outting the corporations in Super.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2006

Not only a summer reading list but assignments to go along with it?!? My daughter is going into grade 7 next year and I can just hear the groans and arguments if she came home with this! Summer assignments are unheard of at this level here...are they common in the U.S.?

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 4, 2006

Summer reading lists are typical at all grade levels here.

6. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 4, 2006

Upsa, what ages? I have a 2nd and 3rd grader and never have they had summer reading lists. I think it is a great idea though. I am in Manatee Co.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2006

We encourage our students to read over the summer, and some of the kids who need reinforcement or remediation in certain areas may receive "practice packages" to help keep up their skills. Are reading lists assigned by the teacher who will have the students in the fall or by the current teacher? Do all students at the same grade level have the same required reading? How are different reading levels accounted for? Do all students follow through with the assigned reading? When the students return to school is there follow-up with the reading they have done over the summer? Sorry to have so many questions, but this is new to me. Also, I will be making the move from a regular classroom into Special Education next year and need to think about whether or not some sort of summer work or reading should be given by me in preparation for next year.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2006

My daughters had summer reading and math assignments from 6th grade through 10th grade (only the Honor and AP classes were given assignments, not the general ed level). Not all of the districts around us give assignments, but several do. I will try to check with them on the books they were assigned.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 5, 2006

I don't know how elementary public schools are since all the testing stuff has been going on. I think the teachers used to assign it at their discretion. My private school doesn't have a policy about it but I have assigned required reading for my incoming students. I know our public middle school magnets have summer reading lists. Usually, there is a long list from which students may pick a required number of books.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 8, 2006

Ok - for 9 and 10, students had a choice of a fairly long list of authors. For 7 and 8, it was The Giver (with a huge projects), and Cry the Beloved Country.