Summer Reading Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, May 14, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 14, 2011

I like to read a good book or two during the summer or other breaks. Can anyone recommend anything?

I love Nicolas Sparks-
    The Notebook
    The Last Song etc..

Anything else?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 15, 2011

I like Sparks too. How about an autobiography of someone you've always liked or want to know more about?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

Several of my grade 8 students are working on a summer reading list for me--so far there are 17 books on it!

5. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 15, 2011

They're not adult books, but what about The Hunger Games trilogy (only if you like sci-fi though). I was as engrossed in them as I was in the Twilight series. My friends all liked The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Barnes and Noble has links to the top 100 of the year, the best books of 2010, and the picks of the month. That might help. :)

6. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 15, 2011

Mind sharing? Sometimes, I find the teen books are even better than the adult books! :haha:

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 15, 2011

A few people from here have signed up on www.Goodreads.com. You can find a lot of ideas there! If anyone signs up you can PM me to add me as a friend.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2011

The list is on the whiteboard in my office at school; I'll post it in the next couple of days. I've been reading mostly Y.A. books lately. It keeps me in touch with what the kids are reading, they are a quick read for me, and I enjoy them!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

I went through a stage where all I read were YA books - probably because I didn't really read them in high school.

I am planning on reading gone with the wind again this summer.

10. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

May 15, 2011

I read the Hunger Games (I am not into sci-fi) it was great, I read it in about 2 days! I couldn't put it down. I would definately recommend. I would like to read the rest of the series over summer break.

11. nifferka

nifferka Rookie

May 15, 2011

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. It's sci-fi action/adventure comedy mixed up with classic literature. The first book, "The Eyre Affair" starts a little slow if you're not from the UK, but by halfway through the second chapter you can't put it down.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 15, 2011

I will check the Barnes and Noble top 100 list.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 15, 2011

Does The Eyre Affair have anything to do with Jane Eyre?

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 15, 2011

I just read To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis I enjoyed it. If you like science fiction Kage Baker, Lois McMaster Bujold, and L. Jagi Lamplighter are authors I have enjoyed. Jim Butcher, Storm Front was also enjoyable. I am currently rereading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series. Naomi Novak if you like dragons and historical fiction. Steal Across the Sky by Nancy Kress.

If you like historical fiction Ariana Franklin and Diane Norman (same person) is a good author. The Forgotten Garden was also well done. Another really good historical fiction author is the author of The Owl Killer and In the Company of Liars. Savage Lands by Claire Clark is well done and Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks is also well done.

Those are some of the books I read over this last year that I liked enough to remember them right now. There are a couple more science fiction books that I can not remember the title and author right now.

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 15, 2011

I really do not like science fiction novels.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 15, 2011

I just read In the Heart of the Canyon by Elisabeth Hyde over spring break and really liked it. If you like a book where you can really get caught up in the character it's really good. It's not one of those super-deep philosophical books but it's also not all fluff either.

I also really like anything by Jodi Piccoult. Almost all of hers that I've read I haven't been able to put down. Your library should have a big section.

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 15, 2011

I have heard good things about Jodi Piccoult. I may try her.

I have a gift card to a bookstore so I may end up just buying it. For some reason I do not like checking books out at a library. I know I should start though.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 15, 2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

If you like mystery - try Elizabeth George

19. nifferka

nifferka Rookie

May 16, 2011

Yes. Someone figures out how go go into books, and kidnaps Jane Eyre out of her own book.

It's strange. Jasper Fforde is difficult to classify into any particular genre, but his work is hilarious and entertaining.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2011

Time for my annual plug for Gone With the Wind.

I'm not sure just what I'll read yet. Over the summer I tend to read pretty voraciously, as the kids are in the pool or before bed. I guess it makes up for all the time I don't get during the school year.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 30, 2011

Just bumping this up since the topic has been brought up again...

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2011

Haha that's how I feel right now. When I was in HS I was so busy with school/activities that I never had time to read for "fun." If it was a school break or something I would occasionally pick up one of my mom's murder mystery books or something. When I go to the library now I usually grab a few YA books and some regular ones too, but I'm finding the YA ones I get are always much more interesting!

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 30, 2011

I have a bunch of books on hold at the library so I'll never run out of something to read. I am on number 9 of the James Patterson books (Women's Murder Club) and 10th Anniversary just came out so I'll read that too.

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 30, 2011

I need to find a local library. I normally buy all of my books. I just went out and bought The Guardian by Nicolas Sparks.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 30, 2011

I don't know what I'd do without my local library. I just can't buy any more books due to lack of money and space. I go to the library at least 2 times a week and the clerks all know me by now. I walk in the door and they go get my books off the reserve shelf for me right away LOL

26. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 30, 2011

For those of you who loved the Hunger Games, I'd also recommend Graceling and Fire by Kristine Cashore. They are wonderful!