Summer Reading Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LindsayRose, Aug 10, 2010.

1. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

Hey everyone! I need your help... I'm going into my 2nd year teaching 5th grade. I assigned summer reading (Charlotte's Web) to the 4th graders entering 5th. Most of them have never read a novel during school or done a unit with a teacher, only independently. I thought it would be good for them since we read about 4-5 novels throughout the year.

Here's my question....

I want to keep assignments/test simple since it will be September and I don't want to waste lot of time on it. What are some suggestions for assignments/mini projects/assessment on this summer reading assignment? (I gave all 4th graders a summary sheet over the summer to fill out to have ready for back to school as well)

THANKS! :)

3. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I'm thinking one problem will be that all students might not have done their summer reading, so if you plan class activities around it, you may have a few kids who are clueless, especially new ones who just moved here. Our school assigns summer reading, but not for one specific book. I think you could do a reader's theater type of activity from the book. That way, if some haven't actually read the novel, they can still participate in it easily. Hope all goes well your first days back.