Summer plans??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

Well, it snowed on the first day of spring... NOT a good sign!!! So I thought I would start a thread about our upcoming summer vacations.

- I have my next surgery on April 6, so hopefully I can get the last one in just after school ends.

- I'm hoping to work a 1 week session of Summer School. It's 4 hours a day for a week, and the money is good.

- I normally teach an SAT prep course one morning a week for 7 weeks. We'll see whether the medical stuff eliminates that.

- LOTS AND LOTS of time in the pool in our yard, some nights down walking the boardwalk.

- Then, on August 5 (translation: 4 months, 2 weeks and 2 days from now) we leave for Disney World. We're staying at the Polynesian for a week.

How about you?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

I have a boring summer planned...I'm working at the college.

My kids; however, are going on an amazing cross-continent vacation. They're leaving in early May and working their way up the east coast, into Canada, back down into the US around N. Dakota, then they'll zig-zag their way back to Florida. They'll be gone almost 3 months. WHAT will I do with myself during all that time?

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

I'll be working at a daycare. Next year I'll get paid year-round though! Wooohoooo!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

Wedding, honeymoon. more weddings.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Usually I work 3 weeks of summer school and take the rest of the summer off. I keep thinking I will travel, but so far each summer I have: moved, moved, moved and had surgery.

This summer there will be no moving or surgery. SO.... I'm doing 3 weeks of summer school but thinking of getting a nanny job. I was going to travel, but with the economy... I figure I'd better save some $ so I plan on working (even though I do get paid year round.)

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

Finding a job. Finding a house. Moving. ahhhhhhhh

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

My son is getting married this summer, and I will continue working on my Masters. Other than that--not much. I am hoping to get away for a long weekend sometime!

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

Alice, I just hope to stay safe this summer........

10. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

I'm hoping to be chosen to teach summer school. I want to go to Florida to visit my parents and friends. Go to some awesome concerts! I'll probably get a new apartment and move in with a co-worker to cut costs. I want to chill by a pool sipping on drinks with an umbrella :whistle:

11. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Mar 20, 2009

My plan is to try and find a summer job..but that looks bleak.

But for vacation I'm going on my first cruise ever! We are going to Bermuda for 7 days, it should be fun. :)

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

Ah, the best of both worlds... Bermuda and a cruise!!!

You're going to have a blast!!! Bermuda is simply gorgeous!! THe people are charming and there's no poverty-- it's the most beautiful island!!!

And cruising is fabulous!!!

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

Life is pretty up in the air right now. If I get the Astronomical Society job, I will probably be hosting professional development or working on curriculum for the fall. That would be fine, though, because it's a super relaxed atmosphere. If I don't get the job, but Sprout takes off, I'll be trying to contact as many retiring teachers/teachers changing grades as possible to stock up on inventory, and trying to contact all the teachers that are purchasing 'stuff' for their new classrooms. If neither work out, I'll be job hunting. ;)

My parents are coming for a week before the 4th of July. I can't WAIT. I miss my mom so much. We're going to hang out and shop and go see Wicked and go to Alcatrez and maybe go to Napa, etc. I've always had to work while she's been in town, so I'm looking forward to taking that week off to just BE with her.

I would LOVE to go to Disney this summer. It's my dream. Maybe if I get the A.S job, I'll be able to afford it. If I get the A.S. job, we might also be able to look at houses and maybe think seriously about purchasing one. Our lease is up in June. A lot hinges on that job. But it will be fine if I don't get it, too.

14. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

79 days to Hawaii!! Maui to be exact, I am so excited! I am worried about the flight though, I haven't been on a plane for more than 3 hours before.
    Nothing else planned so far. Hopefully it will be a summer of relaxing, this will be the first summer I haven't had to look for a job in a few years.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

Annual summer Pig Roast in our backyard with live music, food, games and perhaps more. It's in the making.

16. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Mar 20, 2009

I've been researching it a lot lately since I found out we were going...I'm so excited, normally the only beach I go to during the summer is Ocean City (which I KNOW def. will pale in comparison0

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

We just bought a new house with a pool so I'll be spending the summer poolside. If only I didn't need the sunscreen and umbrella!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 20, 2009

I'm soooo long overdue for a vacation, it's not even funny! The last time I went on vacation was a Mexican Riviera cruise...5 yrs ago this coming summer. :eek:hmy: I'd love to go on a Hawaiian or Alaskan cruise this summer, heck I'll almost settle for a few days in Vegas!

I won't be working. I may try to go to summer school, if my college offers what I need to take.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 20, 2009

After I graduate in May...

I'll spend A WHOLE MONTH IN IRELAND!! I'm so so so excited. I'll be taking two classes: Digital Photography and Irish Storytelling. I can't wait!

Then a week on Coronado Island with my entire family.

My friend wants me to visit her in Seattle. So if my bank account isn't completely empty, then that would be fun!

I also am hoping to MOVE OUT OF MY PARENTS HOUSE! We'll see....

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

You'll only be spending about a quarter of the summer poolside....the other three quarters you'll be spending on pool maitenence :D.

21. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Mar 20, 2009

well, i'm running our school's summer camp program. (they asked me to run it - and the other option was to find a summer job - so I might as well stay working at my school! plus i have some fun ideas and it's a small program!) and we'll be taking advantage of the Disney "Go free on your birthday" for my birthday July 5th - and spending that long weekend at Disneyland! :)

22. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

Hopefully getting ready for my first JOB, my FIRST CLASSROOM!! I hope I hope!!! :) :) :)

Other than that I am going to NYC for the first time! I am very excieted about that and working at my summer job!

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2009

Orlando is home so I usually spend a good part of the summer visiting relatives and theme park hopping. The plus about being from Orlando is knowing so many people who work at the parks that we never have to pay to get in. They all have comp tickets. We couldn't afford it otherwise!! I have a son with autism who will receive his certificate of high school completion this year and the socialization aspects of our travels is tremendous for him. We live in a beach town in another part of the state so the beach will be the remainder of the summer. I find that I need summers off to rejuvenate since I teach such a difficult class. Luckily we get paid year round.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

I will probably take a couple of 3-day workshops which are offered for dirt-cheap ($25 for 3 days) through our federation. A couple of teachers from school will join me on one and we'll make it an overnight get-away. I'll be spending May and June worrying about my son who will be in the far north of Ontario planting trees for a reforestation company (and will be pretty much unreachable). Other than that--lots of soccer games to watch, books to read and redecorating to do.

25. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 21, 2009

I plan to get a menial job waitressing or something. Blah.

26. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Mar 21, 2009

I'm doing my last summer course to led me into my final semester of gen ed classes, concentration classes and education methods classes. I'm also flying down to Texas for a week to see my best friend. And last counting down til January for my amazing trip to Jamaica before student teaching!

27. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 21, 2009

The kids have a few weeks at different camps. We'll go to Vermont for two different weeks with my mom and dad. Other than that, no plans. Just chillin here at home and going to the pool at the Y.

Mm - who's taking your kids on this three month trip? That will definitely be weird to have them away for so long.

28. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

I'm looking forward to using our complex pool with my girls. They could swim 8 hours a day and I can just relax. Ahhhh!

Three of my relatives have died since I've been to visit my family in Indiana. We're going to have a get-together to do something with the ashes. Ugh, I don't want to buy four plane tickets, but...

My dad is retiring in Oregon. I'd like to go throw him a party. Again, four plane tickets or a 12 hour minivan excursion...

And I want to save for a trip to Hawaii next summer to celebrate a big milestone birthday for me!

29. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

Hopefully I'm teaching summer school and getting ready for my classroom for the upcoming school year, but I will definitely tutor. No vacations, sadly, but DH has work and classes all summer long and we can't afford to really go anywhere. I do live a few minutes from the ocean and my ILs have a pool... at least there will be lots of family get-togethers and cookouts over the summer. :)

30. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

My summer plans are the same as they are every year -- go nowhere and do nothing. It is depressing; I don't even have any friends here. The age difference between me and my classmates is too large, and grad students are well segregated away so I don't have the opportunity to meet them. I petitioned for access to the graduate student center on the grounds of my age, but the university won't allow it. Mostly, people here seem to like to go out drinking--not my thing at all. The perils of a rural, small town, I guess.

I am extra depressed this year because my favorite cousin is getting married (in Ireland, where most of my family is) and I can't go. She also is not really speaking to me anymore because she has told me for years how important it is to her that I be at her wedding, and she does not understand the concept of not being able to afford to go. She thinks it is a matter of priorities and saving the money. I need to come up with thousands of dollars (credit cards?) in order to move at the end of the summer and pay deposits on a new (expensive) apartment.

But, NEXT YEAR. By this time next year, assuming I get a good job :D I will get my Harley and will take some great road trips. I am definitely going to do something fun. I can count fun things that I have done in the last 15 years on my bird's 4 toes.

I am also going to save and scrimp so I can send my parents to Ireland. Not me having fun, but even better. They have always sacrificed a lot for me, and my mom needs to see her family. It is tragic that she has only been for funerals over the last 20 yrs, due to finances.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a whiny little rant. I feel a bit blue today for some reason. I will go to Bush Gardens when they open for the season so I am looking forward to that. I used to not go because I was afraid of going alone, but I went the year before last and it was so much fun. I couldn't go last year because of a back problem that almost paralyzed me on the left side, but I had surgery in January that miraculously fixed the problem (in via wheelchair, walked out 6 hours later!). So, I CAN go this year! I get an access pass, so I don't have to stand in lines.

After I have my finances going in a good direction, I am also going to look at getting my sky diving certifications. So fun things ahead for the future! :D

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

Molly, where do you live?

32. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 21, 2009

Aquatic manager again...psyc courses and interviews with high need districts...got to love my life. :)

33. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

Virginia. I'm near Roanoake now. Hopefully, I will find a job in a more exciting part of the state!