Summer Jobs

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, May 15, 2008.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

Hi! I am a sub who subs during the day and I go to college at night at a local community college with hopes and plans to transfer to a 4yr college also in my city. This being said I will have summers off since I don't take summer classes at the college and I was wanted/needing to get something for summer to work. Does anyone have any ideas for a summer job? Do you have a job during summer if so what do you all do? Thanks for any posts!:help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2008

I worked in hotels when I was in college and grad school. I really loved the work. I started as a night auditor, which is an overnight position, just on the weekends--and I made excellent money just having to work those two shifts per week. I eventually scooted up to all shifts (rotating), then front desk manager.

4. obro

obro Rookie

May 15, 2008

I was a driving instructor. Wasn't hard to get started. Just needed a fairly clean license. Couldn't teach in the classroom but would go out in the car. Pretty funny actually. Also got to put it on my resume since I taught high school kids how to drive. Check with local driving schools--many hire just for the summer since that is when they are busiest.

5. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 16, 2008

Summer nanny? Camp counsellor?

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 17, 2008

Thanks guys I will check on some of those!

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 18, 2008

What about if you want to teach summer school? Does anyone know how a sub could go about doing that? (oops- should this be a new thread?)

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 18, 2008

we do have summer school in my area but they dont want subs. They want certified teachers to re-teach the subjects.

9. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 3, 2008

What if you are a certified teacher that happens to be subbing? How do they feel about that?

10. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jun 4, 2008

You wouldn't say anything about that you sub just go with your a certified teacher who wants to teach summer school and go from there.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2008

I've been wondering the same. I once had one job like that. Only because it was at-risk school, and they hired a bunch of us! Reading and Math only. Had to attend inservices each Friday. I loved it!

Other than that, it is next to impossible to get sub job during summer. Every district I asked said no flat out. Those teachers are paid to be there 6 weeks, and they will come no matter what! think there is some stiff penalty if they miss a day or two. I dunno. You can try, but you may have better luck with park district summer camp jobs.

Retail jobs in stores that give you discount will make life even better. Can't go wrong in Office Depot/Office Max/Staples. I could answer any question about the teacher's/school supply aisle!

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 7, 2008

I work retail during the summer. Eventually I think I will decide to quit and just take the summers off completely. As far as teaching summer school goes, in my district, they only hire staff that is permanently on the payroll. When teachers get an assignment, they are told flat out that they cannot miss. But our summer school is just for the month of July.

13. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Yes, I tutor over the summer and work the occasional shift at Barnes and Noble. I still get paid over a 12-month period, but it's nice to bring in extra cash with the time I have.

14. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 7, 2008

Most libraries have some sort of summer reading program. Maybe they hire extra people for that. You may also find some great tutoring opportunities.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

you might have better luck as a part time page/library clerk. The libraries are a pretty tight group also. Least the small, suburban ones I know of. Don't know what chances are like in big cities.

In IL..they also have pension funds that can be recipocated to teacher pension!

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2008

Also, in my district we have year-round school at the elementary schools. A lot of high school teachers take on a few sub positions over the summer to bring in a few extra bucks. The teachers I know who do that enjoy it because they don't have to commit to several weeks as a summer school teacher--they can just take a job here or there.

The district loves when we do that because we're already licensed and on the payroll, and we're familiar with the ins and outs of the district and its policies and procedures. We don't really even have to apply; we just fill out a form with our contact information and that's that.