Summer Jobs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dxiechicken41, Jan 25, 2008.

1. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Jan 25, 2008

If you pick up another job in the summertime, what do you do? I would like to do something WITHOUT kids for a couple of months...but might just end up teaching summer school.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 25, 2008

I don't think I will this year and in the past it has been kid-related. However, I would try for my favorite teacher supply store or clothing store. You would get discounts on the stuff you need essentially making your pay rate go up :2up:

4. nancy sv

nancy sv Rookie

Jan 25, 2008

Since I started teaching way back in the dark ages, I've never worked in the summer - I go play.

5. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 26, 2008

I've never worked another job over the summer either (but we only get 5 weeks off) but if I did I'd be aiming to work in a shop; I love the idea of not having to think about work after knock-off time, something I just can't do with teaching. But I do like contact with people.

I'd aim firstly for a bookstore, then a stationery shop, otherwise a supermarket would do.

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jan 26, 2008

I will definitly NOT be working this summer. Retail jobs are probably pretty easy to come by in the summer though. I just spent too long in retail during HS and college to ever go back! What about trying for a hostess position at a restaraunt?

7. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jan 26, 2008

Oh, I like the bookstore idea! That could be a lot of fun! (yes, I'm a nerd....)

8. ctmem

ctmem Rookie

Jan 26, 2008

Air Guard

I am with the Air National Guard, and during the summer months, I go on active duty for 30 days.

It's great because it is COMPLETELY different then the daily classroom grind. I get to hang around jets and pretend to be a GI-JOE.

Great fun!

-C
    teachersoffaith.com

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2008

I frolic and enjoy my summer... But the teacher store and bookstore ideas sound great!

10. Boston1234

Boston1234 Rookie

Jan 26, 2008

I am working in the bio lab I used to work at before I became a teacher. I love the people there and it keeps me up to date on the newest things being done in science so I can relay it to my students.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 26, 2008

I will grade National Boards...three weeks, they pay $125 a day, provides lunch and breakfast, 8:30 or so to 5:00. No kids, but I still get to do what I do best.:wub:

12. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Jan 26, 2008

Amers,

Me too! I think to some extent you have to be a nerd to teach! How great would it be to have a job where you could get discounts on GREAT books for your class? That sounds like a dream part time job to me. I guess us nerds need to stick together. :D

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2008

My mom always told me to never work in a bookstore, because I'd spend all my pay before I could get it home! ;)

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2008

I will be working at a high-end resort, working in the reservations department. That is where I worked all while I was going to college, so it will be fun to see my old coworkers and catch up with them... :O)

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2008

My wallet so hears you...

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 26, 2008

I want to work at a coffee stand in our tourist area over the summer. Don't think the pay is great though.

A book store would be awesome. How about a library?

I need to work this summer for the first time. Usually I work a few hours with a community group and spend the rest of my time cleaning house, cooking, and maybe visit family. We are heading into the "kid in college" phase of life, so . . . my traveling time might be on hold. Sometimes I think maybe I will get two jobs for the summer and keep 1/2 the money set aside to go visit the college kid.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2008

golf course as a beverage cart driver or mowing lawns

a camp ground showing people where their site is, answering phones, mowing, etc

a furniture store calling people to say "your sofa is in. when can we deliver it?"

advertise to do some typing. Maybe someone will pay you to type or handwrite recipes, addresses of customers for a business, etc. Basically what others did not have time to do themselves.

See if your church is looking for someone to paint or clean.

Do you know an elderly or handicap person? They may be able to use a hand with errands, painting, cleaning, windows, etc.

18. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Jan 26, 2008

Ok, so back to bartending it is. :D

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2008

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to work another job involving kids either!

I agree that a bookstore is nice. It's quiet & doesn't get hectic like a retail store would. I'd also maybe try a hotel, clerical job, or bank. With a bank, it would never be late hours & they're always closed on Sundays so that's half of your weekend that's free.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 27, 2008

I got an email. The forestry department is hiring teachers for the summer. Sounds interesting.

21. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 27, 2008

Are you coming to DFW? I graded National Boards one year here in DFW, the pay is great but it is very draining. Have you done it before? PM me.
    Last summer I wrote curriculum for my district, same thing, great pay but very draining :) This summer I have a few options but haven't decided yet.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 27, 2008

Ok, finished my first week grading Praxis. It was tough. I am not sure I can keep it up. Taking my oldest to weight lifting at 7:00 then going to work. Working until 3:15. Then logging onto the computer at 4:30 until 8:30. I am exhausted. I still don't have my lesson plans completed.

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 6, 2008

Ok--just got my first Praxis check, just 17 hours and paid 307.14 bring home. I was excited. I still have additional hours that weren't on this check. Yeah.

24. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 6, 2008

I teach summer camps. 1 week with 5th-6th graders, 1 weeks with 2nd-3rd graders and this year possibly a third week with 1st-2nd graders. If I could pick a job to do during the summer without children that still had a decent pay....I'd work at a bookstore, but....like I said...that just doesn't compare to the $575 for 5 days work that I get from my camps!

25. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 6, 2008

I was thinking about the teacher store a while back but I turned it down because of a higher paying job. It would be a nice job for the summer I'm sure. But I think I'm going to do summer school. Hmmm $6 an hour or $25 an hour??

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2008

mrachelle, do you have to be in a state that takes the Praxis to score the tests? This is something that sounds like something I would be interested in doing.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2008

I would love to work in a teacher store this summer, but the closest one is 30 minutes away and I don't know if that would be worth it. I've thought about summer school too. It would be closer to home and probably pay better.

28. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 6, 2008

I am not sure. I was invited to grade. I am not sure how they got my name and email address. I almost said no, but they paid me $50 to do the pre-assessment guide. I decided to give it a shot. I graded for eight nights for 4 hours a night. The pay was $18 an hour. They pay every two weeks, so I still have half of a check to come. I am excited. I only do it every other month. I can do it for 6 to 9 nights at a time. I do it at home in my pjs. It was nice, but I think next time I will give myself a break and not try to teach for 8 hours then grade for 4, makes a long week.

29. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 6, 2008

I have a teacher friend who goes to Montana & works at a State Park there, she loves it.

30. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 6, 2008

I do Praxis III Assessments during the year & get paid $400.00 for each one. It's not a summer job though. It gets me out of the classroom for a half day & I get to see what's going on in other schools. I usually save the $'s for a great vacation and it adds up fast. I do about 6 a year.

31. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2008

I would love to do a retail job over the summer, but $30 an hour teaching summer school vs. $8 an hour at the mall.... its hard to justify. And how much of that piddly pay check am I going to blow on discounted stuff?

I might work/volunteer at a local museum since I am considering going back to school in the museums Material Culture Studies program.

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 6, 2008

I am going to sell Pampered Chef. We'll see, I have a good friend who talked me into this, and I love to cook, so it may just be the bee's knees...

Otherwise, we get paid $150 per day for every professional development we go to, no limit. Last year I went to 16 days. That was my school clothes money!

33. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Feb 8, 2008

oh my gosh that would be so awesome!

we get paid $175 per day for summer school, but since I'm on maternity leave and out of the state, i don't think i can teach this year. that may be my "single/no kids" job of the past. I don't know if I even will be able to get a summer job, with the new baby - but I SURE could use the money!

34. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Feb 8, 2008

Book nerds unite

So let's see. You earn your wage, buy books with the money you earn for school, and then since technically they are for school, the money you spent is a tax write off or in some cases reimbursed by the school anyway. Sounds like a pretty good deal in some very nerdy way. Plus you'd probably get a discount!

I'd love to work in a bookstore, but I don't want to touch the cash; I just want to talk to people about books all day and stack them so I can see what's there. I could be the concierge of text.