Summer Jobs?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Jan 4, 2007.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jan 4, 2007

I know I might be jumping the gun here, but I just can't make up my mind if I want to have a summer job yet. I am a first year teacher so yeah the time off would be wonderful, but I just don't know. Are you going to work this summer? If so, what will you be doing?
    P.S. I don't have any kids so my summer will be pretty boring!

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 4, 2007

I'm also single and childless, so I thought my summer would be pretty boring, but last summer (after my first year of teaching) flew by actually. I was taking two classes for my masters through most of June and July and then by August, I was ready to spend a few hours in my classroom most days getting things ready. I had always thought that maybe I would work during the summer, but it was great not to. This summer, I am contemplating maybe doing some private tutoring, but nothing more than that, and I'm not sure I'll even do that much! We'll see how I feel in June! Good luck with your decision.

4. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

No I don't think your jumping the gun...it's never too late for teachers to think about how to earn extra money :)

Personally, I find it strange how so many teachers simply work summer jobs that are limited in how much money they can make. Meaning, they only get paid for the hours they work and once the summer is over they stop making that money.

Instead, why not start something that will continue to grow over the years and will continue to make you money once you go back to school in the fall.

Teachers have so many talents that they can easily use to start earning them money that will not stop once the summer is over.

I wrote a free report on this a couple of years ago. I plan on updating and adding to the report this Spring, but since you made this post I figure I would let people download the original report and I will make a new post when then new report is completed.

Here you go...hope you enjoy it:
    http://www.teaching-teacher.com/teachermoney.pdf

Best Wishes,
    Adam

5. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

first year teacher, no kids either...i was thinking of just going to a temp agency but then i found out the zoo hires teachers during the summer for a day camp like program they host, i figured that would be better to make connections, get extra resources and such

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 5, 2007

Also, first year teacher. I am going to teach summer school (back home) and I might waitress again. I am not positive. Think I'll go read Adam's report.

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2007

My school district offers paid ($30/hour) professional development most summers, so I usually do a few of those. Every summer, my kids have been in daycare at least part of the day, even during the summer, but this year, my youngest will be transitioning from a home daycare to a full time preschool/daycare and my older one is just finishing kindergarten. This will be one of the only summers (even when I was pregnant) that I will not be doing any paid work. In the past, I have done retail type jobs in stores where I could buy either clothes or school supplies at a substantial discount. I always had too much time on my hands in the summer and preferred to work. Now, time is a gift! :)

8. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

Move to Australia! We get paid year round, although the summer holidays (on now - I love it!) are "only" 5-6 weeks.

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

I am in my second year of teaching. Last summer I taught summer school for my district. When it was all said and done I wished I did something else. I realized I really needed a break from the kids. I love teaching, but there really is a reason we have breaks worked in and it's not just for the kids. :D

I'm not sure what I'll do this year. :confused: :confused: Perhaps I'll concentrate on my writing and just get a part-time job working at a store that I love. We'll see....;)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2007

I teach an SAT course for a few hours a week over the summer.. so does my husband. It's one morning, so it leave me plenty of time home with my kids. But the money goes so much faster over the summer (all that free time!!) so it really does make a difference.

Or you could consider starting your Masters if you haven't already done so. Get 3 or 6 credits done while it's the only thing you have going on.

11. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2007

I guess you can call me lazy. I love my summers off, just relaxing and refreshing myself. However, if I did need the money I would certainly work but probably not in educaton. I would get a fun job in a completely different field.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2007

First year teacher, no kids, and NO summer job! :) Four Master's classes, but no other responsibilities!

13. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

SO DO WE!!!!! They're talking about EXTRA $$$$$$

14. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

This is my first full year teaching, so I get to enjoy my FIRST PAID SUMMER! YAY! I worked a camp gig last summer which definitely paid the bills. It was 5 hours every day - 7:30-12:30, 5 days a week, and 6 weeks during the summer. We also had one week of setting up. So, basically I had 3 weeks free the whole summer, but the pay was good. We got $20/hour for being certified teachers. It was easy work, and I got home by 1pm to enjoy my day. It was a great little gig!

This summer, however, I'm going to enjoy my vacation. I'm finally going somewhere which I haven't done since 2001. I have teacher friends that work in nice clothing stores to use the discount! Also, I have a lot of teacher friends who work camp or summer programs at church. I really don't care about the extra $$$ right now.

I am also unmarried and childless. I think I might start grad. school in June. I also want to take a workshop about 40 miles away because I teach English.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 5, 2007

I get paid year round. I just like to make extra money.

16. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2007

We get paid year around too! It is great, however we do have the option to get our pay spread out over the school year only instead of year round. I like that check coming in while I am sitting home all summer!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2007

We get paid year round as well. But there's so much more to do in the summer that the money seems to fly right out of the wallets. S a bit extra helps!

18. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

I have worked every summer I've taught (this is my 7th year)
    I worked one summer at the Children's Museum
    2 summers at a resturant (also worked there during the school year on weekends)
    I have also done reading camps at my school
    This year I will probably do summer school and a reading camp, since our summer is longer this year due to a required later start date!!!

19. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

I don't know if I am working this summer. My second year I taught summer school. I don't want to do that again, I made it as fun as I could, but we all wanted to be away from school! Something much different would be great. I agree that we need a break.

I am getting paid over the summer this year. I have just been paid during the school year previously, but it made me too nervous to know there wouldn't be paychecks for a few months.

20. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 5, 2007

Last summer I worked on a construction site, building homes for Habitat for Humanity (although for somewhat self serving reasons :wink). I also took two classes.. and researched a LOT of materials at my library.. checked out movies, read book critiques, etc etc

I am doing that this summer also, although I will only take classes if I find some that are paid for (like last years were)..

I strongly suggest using some time to volunteer over the summer.. and take some classes. As a fairly new teacher, community involvement and professional development are important. Some teachers from my building spent a few hours a week out on the construction site with me.. it was great! Other teachers I know commercial fish in the summer, excavate, sell canoes, landscape, or teach summer school.

Plus, in the future, I may work my summers on actual paid construction sites, but I haven't decided yet.

21. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Jan 5, 2007

I assumed, by the number of people who are looking for summer work, that your pay must stop then. I can think of nothing worse than spending the break working! (Of course, as a mum, I am always working, just not nearly as much).

I don't know of many teachers here who get work for the summer holidays except those who teach swimming for a couple of weeks. I suppose it makes a difference that Christmas and New Year form part of our holidays too - there's plenty to do without looking for more.

Are you guys very lowly paid, or just really keen to get ahead?

22. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 6, 2007

Somehow I feel this thread is slowly being killed, and I thought the OP asked a valid question..

Well, OP.... I will say when I taught alternative ed, I worked year round and I needed a long term sub one summer.. could NOT find one to save my life! All the teachers had already made their summer plans.. so no takers..

Oh, yeah, I also have some friends that are summer tour guides.. I think I would pick something really fun with little to no paperwork

23. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 6, 2007

Even though I get paid during the summer, I find many more ways to spend my money with that much time on my hands. Nothing else to do ... so I go shopping! If I were to work during the summer it would be to fill the time, much more than for the money.

24. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jan 7, 2007

I wait tables.