summer jobs

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chava_1908, Jul 24, 2005.

1. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

Just wondering if anybody else has had to find jobs over the summer in order to make money during the summer until school starts? If so, what types of jobs have been found and how far in advance should one apply for the summer jobs? :thanks:

3. cwalsh

cwalsh Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

This year I am doing summer school at a private school near my house. I can't seem to manage my money over the summer. We get a lump some at the end of the year and it is supposed to last until Sept. It never does. I always have plenty of money in July and then have to stretch every penny in August. I applied for my summer job in February. This is when I usually see summer job listings in the newspaper.

4. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

5. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

what does "moonlighting" mean?

6. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 28, 2005

I believe it means your "other" job besides your "main" job. Something done on the side. I think it's gotten the name from people who had to work nights along with having a day-time job (just my guess)

7. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 29, 2005

This year since I only just stated subbing at the end of the year, I still had my job I kept through University! (and still do now - I need guaranteed pay - hello saturday working at the mall :( ) I work at a Canadian Jewelry Chain - Charm Diamond Centres as a part-time associate. I know it has nothing to do with my degree, but I am fully trained, and actually spent a huge portion of this summer training Newbies to the store. However, I can't wait until the day I can stop working retail and focus on teaching.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 29, 2005

I honestly didn't work this past summer and, instead, enjoyed my time off from substitute teaching though I did try to find a camp counselor position at various city park districts throughout my immediate area.

Maybe I'll work next summer, maybe not. To be honest, the summer is so short that it's nealry over by the time you get situated in your summer job and actually know what you're doing. So, IMHO, why even work to begin with?

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 8, 2006

I got a job working part-time for a catering company. It's acutally my 2nd job now for when subbing slows down. (and it is indeed starting to slow down). I was fortunate to know a friend who already worked for the company, who gave me a good word of recommendation. Also, 5 years of previous waitressing experience didn't hurt. ;-) It works for me, because our employment is at will, based on when we want to work. So, until I get that full-time position, I am quite happy w/it for now.

N77

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 8, 2006

Unfortunately, when you need the money you don't really have a choice. :)

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 8, 2006

Beth2004: I hear ya. I have teacher friend's that marvel at the fact I make most of my money from subbing. "I couldn't do it." one said, another said, "How can you stand subbing!?" Um, as if I prefer this over a full-time job? Just in limbo right now, but the rent still needs to be paid.
    Bottom line is: When the bills come in, you'd be amazed at what you can do when there are no other choices. ;) Especially if you're single and have to support yourself. (my cat can't work, haven't figured that angle out just yet) :D
    N77

12. Mrs. West

Mrs. West Rookie

May 9, 2006

odds and ends work...

I have a huge vegetable garden and plan to sell my produce at a farmers market that is 10 minutes from my house. Sitting in the fresh air talking to pleasant neighbors isn't a bad way to spend my Saturdays.

Also, I'm planning to do part-time daycare for neighbors/friends to bring in a little extra $. :)

13. kimlovesteachin

kimlovesteachin Rookie

May 9, 2006

I definitely need a job over the summer! I have applied to teach summer school, I doubt I will get that though since the districts that were hiring aren't the ones I sub at. I also applied at some summer camps and have an interview at one on Thursday.

14. thecottage

thecottage Guest

May 13, 2006

I applied for a teacher's aide position that is over the summer. I also work weekends as a RN at my hospital. Luckily, dh makes enough that I don't have to work FT. I hope I get the aide position, because I really think it will help me in school.

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 13, 2006

thecottage: Wow, you are also a nurse? That is quite noble. I considered going into nursing, my grandmother was an RN and loved it. However, teaching is where I felt the strongest pull. :rolleyes: Anyhow, best of wishes to you.

N77

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 13, 2006

Hmmm...don't know if my cat can work or not...but I do know he won't work...lazy cat!

17. thecottage

thecottage Guest

May 13, 2006

Yes nasimi77, I am a nurse. I currently work in Cardiac Critical care, have Trauma training, Open Heart experience, along with general medical and surgical nursing. I always thought that I wanted to be a nurse, and I couldn't do anything else.........until I started volunteering in my son's school. I really enjoy the kids, the teachers there are fantastic, and I get to be on top of things with Johnny in the same school. His teacher is fantastic and we talk all the time. So I am hoping that I will get a call soon in order to sub int the school.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006
  18. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

May 14, 2006

I am working for the State Dept. of Education correcting and leading correcting of The alternative asssessments that are state allows in place of the traditional MCAs (standardized test).