Summer Jobs for Teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ExcitedNewbie, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ExcitedNewbie

ExcitedNewbie Rookie

Feb 1, 2015

Hi, I am a first year teacher who is looking for a summer job mid-June to mid-August. Are there any programs, camps, or exchanges that you have enjoyed working on over the summer? I appreciate the suggestions.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 1, 2015

Every year, I either teach ESY (a program for moderate-to-severe SPED students for the purpose of skill maintenance) or the summer school program at my school. I also have done curriculum development for my district.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2015

I've taught summer school and worked at a camp. I much preferred summer school because it was half day four days a week and I got paid probably double than what I did at camp. Camp was 8 weeks- my entire summer, and I made less money. I would do summer school again this year but unfortunately I have to do a summer practicum for my masters program. So instead of getting paid to teach summer school I'm going to pay to do the same sort of work at my college :(

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 1, 2015

I prefer to teach summer school at my school, because I get my daily rate, and I know it's a sure 5 weeks paycheck. Other districts won't pay as much, so why do the same (or more) work for less money, unless I had no other options?
    The year before I subbed at our juvenile hall, I liked, because I was getting my daily rate, and I didn't have to plan or even grade, I just showed up and the work was super easy. But it's not for 5 weeks. The upside was that I worked here and there 2-3 weeks so I didn't feel like my summer was all work, but the money was less as well.
    I'm hoping I can teach summer school again.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2015

I work on my tan and having time with friends and family....and I tutor a few hours to buy sandals and tropical drinks.

Other teachers I know:

Summer school
    Work retail
    Waitress
    Nanny
    Lifeguard
    Day camps
    Dog sit

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 1, 2015

I've always done summer school, but it was so stressful last year that I'm thinking of not doing it this year! Last year I had a very rough class and was basically dealing with behavior all day. The days were also long for summer school IMO- we were there for 5 hours per day. There were no specials or lunch, so it was practically like a regular teaching day. In my other districts it was a 3 hour day, so that made a huge difference! I haven't entirely decided yet. Since I've done summer school every year, that money has kind of just been included in my salary. I did get a pretty big raise this year, but if I don't do summer school it will even out and be like I didn't get one. Decisions, decisions! Camps around here will pay around minimum wage- not worth it IMO.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 1, 2015

I've nannied the last couple summers. It was really fun and easy. He was 6th grade when I started, so he really just needed someone to drive him around, feed him, play games, etc... This will be my first free summer since high school. I anticipate getting really bored, so I'll need to figure out some things to occupy my time.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 1, 2015

I work on my tan after summer school - after 1:30 pm and on the weekends lol. And I really need this money so I can fly home to Hungary with my daughter and visit friends and family. A little sacrifice is a must for me.

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 1, 2015

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 1, 2015

Drivers ed teachers are in pretty high demand!

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 1, 2015

I work at a summer program for gifted kids. Pay is great for one month, then I still have a month off.

13. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Feb 2, 2015

Lots of places need maids/ cleaners

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2015

I coach summer swim team and give swim lessons.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2015

I have worked summer school in the past. Last year I advised kids at a came for a week. It was great pay for just one week so I'm going to do it again this year.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 2, 2015

I don't think I want to teach summer school this year, so I'll either temp sporadically for my MIL's accounting office or just take a break for the first time in years. That being said, if my school offers me another three-week stint taking performing arts classes like last year, I'll do it.

17. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 2, 2015

Here is what I do during the summer…. nothing…. or anything that I want to do lol.
    I travel back to England to see my parents and friends, play a ton of basketball, read a lot of books.

18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 2, 2015

I used to work at a Boy Scout camp, which I greatly miss as a summer job. Right now with a toddler it's not feasible, but perhaps in a few years...

19. ExcitedNewbie

ExcitedNewbie Rookie

Feb 2, 2015

Thanks for the advice! After a few weeks of applying and searching, I just got confirmation today that I have a position in the summer camp at my school... so I'll resume searching/worrying again next year.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 2, 2015

Honestly, I would rather budget my salary and NOT have to get a summer job. I use the time to organize, finish personal projects, take grad courses, and generally recharge my batteries. I am not young enough to enjoy have kids at camp, and I am tired enough to not want to have to deal with the attitudes that can go with the students in summer school. I simply need a break. I give 100% during the school year, and I will take my unpaid holiday with a smile.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 2, 2015

My last summer was very cramped and I would not want to do that again. I taught summer school for 5 weeks (it was ok, easy, and got out at 1:30), but we were able to go back in for up to 3 days for the 6th week for grading because half of my instruction was independent study. So i went in for about 3 hours for 2 days (I live 7 minutes from school). Then the following week I had Common Core training for 2 days, the following week Kagan training for 3 days, and then we had my last week of vacation, but on Friday we went back to school for meetings, etc.
    So I did not have even 1 whole week for myself.
    I had a nice paycheck, and had enough time to spend with my daughter, relax, go to San Diego, but I felt too rushed.

This year I feel almost as rushed, but it's worth it. If they'll assign me, I'll teach 5 weeks summer school again (but I won't go back for grading) and that upcoming Sunday or Monday we're flying to Hungary for almost 3 weeks, and then come back by July 31st. I will have 10 days to relax a little more and prepare for school.

It's worth it, because I will need the money, as I'm sure I will spend some while I'm there, and my funds will be pretty depleted from buying the 2 tickets (this month) and then I'm moving to a new house at the end of March.

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Feb 3, 2015

I highly, highly respect this.

Frankly, my old camp job was purely for the fun of it. I had time to put together things for the upcoming year, and one summer the camp job actually fulfilled a huge part of a college course I took.

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2015

I loved working at the golf course. I mowed and trimmed, weeded, and drove beverage cart. Made good money. Didn't have to plan. Worked outside.

24. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 4, 2015

I am not idle - I usually take some courses that appeal to me. Sometimes they advance my degrees, a certification, or simply just curiosity. Without trying to shoehorn the courses between lesson plans, long days, and commuting, this is fun to me. One summer I got paid to learn about project based learning, another was inquiry, and then there were the ESL courses that completed my Master's. I also enjoy exploring on PBS Teacherline online courses, and some of those courses have counted for credit I could use. At other times, it is just fun to be online with like minded individuals. I always spend time with my sister, and that is usually the best part of the summer. I have reached an age where I am meandering a bit, but as long as it is fun and interesting, I am good with that. It sounds like we share a love of finding something that is just fun. Fun comes in all shapes and sizes, and I just hope it comes around for many more years! ;)

25. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Apr 16, 2015

Summer Camps are fun!!!! I work the ESY program every year at my school and will again this year, which I am so thankful for.

Its for 5 weeks and the extra pay checks are great! I will have the month of August off to rejuvenate :)

I also have a work from home job that gives me weekly paychecks as well. I need to work so I am grateful to have these jobs.

26. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Apr 16, 2015

I teach at the community college level over the summer. It's a pretty easy gig. Pay isn't great, but better than nothing.

27. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 16, 2015

I like signing up for science research experiences. You work for a laboratory or a company doing laboratory research, and I get paid like 3 times my 1 month salary for 7-8 weeks. That and I get experience for my resume doing real science (just in case I ever want to do something different in the future).

They also usually require you to develop curriculum for the next year so I get some planning done too.

28. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 17, 2015

This sounds fun!

29. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Apr 19, 2015

WOW! That sounds so interesting. I am a panelist for a local Consumer Research Company and they do all kinds of studies on skincare, hair care, etc. I usually do about one study a month.

It usually pays between $30-$100 per study sometimes a lot more.
    I am currently doing a body wash study now for 4 weeks. I'll get $80.00 once I complete it :)

Getting that extra money is always a blessing.

30. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Apr 19, 2015

Nothing like $80 and an unexplainable rash :lol:

31. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Apr 19, 2015

LOL! Luckily I have never had anything like that happen.

I do enjoy the free products though. I did a laundry study last month for $65.00 and I received 2 different laundry detergents for the month and had to compare them.

It was really easy and I had to do my laundry anyway..also I didn't have to buy detergent for awhile which was nice too:D

32. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 19, 2015

I'm with this philosophy 100%. But at the same time, teaching summer school seems a quite palatable alternative. It is only 4 weeks of your summer, and the day ends at noon,and in the end, you are left with a good chunk of the summer (one month) to recharge your batteries.

33. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Apr 20, 2015

I will be tutoring and waiting tables, saving up to hopefully go abroad next summer. My school is also sending me to a conference at the end of the July.

34. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2015

This will be the first summer in 15 years I haven't been going to school or teaching school. I know I need something to do with my time or I will be bored. Bored means eating, coming to school to work or sleeping and I really don't want to do any of those things. I NEED to have a reason to get up out of bed so I will be looking for a job this summer. There is one problem though, I live in a relatively small town and there are not that many summer jobs.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 20, 2015

How do you find these? I did the "secret shopping" thing a few times but never with products.

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 20, 2015

We have mandatory summer school so I don't have a choice. Out of the 10 week summer I get off 4 weeks and summer school is 6 weeks so I have a few weeks to do what I want. Even if I had the whole summer off there's no way I would ever be bored. There are tons of things to do from reading, crafts, movies, lunch/coffee with friends, gardening, walking/hiking, exercise, home projects, etc. I could go on and on. Someone once told me that only boring people get bored and I totally agree! :lol:

37. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 9, 2015

I happen to have a research company 10 minutes from my home, so I got lucky. I was told by another Para in the building 2 years ago and have done about 1 study a month ever since. There is another company near my school, about 30 minutes away, but they make you wait about 2-3 months before you can try out for a new study.

I would do a google search in your town/state to see where they have these companies. Most states do have them, at least we do on the East Coast.

Hope this helps.

38. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 25, 2015

Also....

I do a work from home job that is basically doing surveys (A LOT OF THEM!) on the computer, which I like. I save on gas and I can do them sitting on my couch in my jammies, sipping tea if I want:p

I don't make a ton of money but if I can get an extra $150-200 a month from it (which I have most months) I am really happy.

Every little bit helps!!!

This part time income has really been a Godsend!

39. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 7, 2015

I take a break from teaching. I won't even teach a class at vacation bible school but I will help in the kitchen.

I take photos on the side... portraits and weddings.

I just started selling Jamberry Nail Wraps for extra income, too. I have my launch party going on now on facebook.

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2015

HeartDrama, there is a part of me that would LOVE to do that! How did you get involved?

41. 2nd gr teacher

2nd gr teacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2015

I tutor every summer. While it is great money, the best part is that you can continue learning new things- during the school year I find it difficult to have enough time for everything I want to do. But when I tutor, I can take time to lesson plan for just a few students- it can actually be therapeutic because I'm not under a lot of stress to complete several other things in a limited time. This enables me to test new ideas successfully. I have found this to be extremely helpful when teaching small group during the school year.