Summer Jobs for Subs

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by subteacher38, Jan 27, 2011.

1. subteacher38

subteacher38 Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

I am planning ahead for the summer time. Since subbing is so slow right now, I am getting concerned about the summer months. I was just wondering what kind of work do substitute teachers do in the summer. Do schools ever use subs in summer school or only full-time teachers. What kinds of jobs are out there for us to do in summer break. Any ideas?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2011

The district I've worked for for almost 10 yrs has gone back & forth from year-round to traditional school years, but has been traditional now for uite a while. Even when it was year-round, I never got called to sub during summers ever.

You can apply for other districts that are active during summers or if you want to take a break from working with kids for a while, I guess we're stuck w/ retail, clerical, or hospitality type work. Thank God I haven't had to work during the summer since I don't know when!

Good luck finding summer work!

4. waffles

waffles Companion

Jan 27, 2011

Food and beverage has a pretty high turnover rate for employees. That's where I'd start looking.

5. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

In my system subs cannot work summer school. Perhaps you could look at summer camps. You could also look at your local parks and recreation for summer programs. I know around here some of the private schools run different camps too.

6. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

I nanny in the summer; this will be the third year I'm with the same family. I applied through a job posting board my college provides to students and alumni.

It was a perfect match by coincidence. The ONLY downside is that the kids are getting older; the eldest is 15, and I'm pretty much really only a driver at this point! Luckily, they enjoy spending time with me. :)

Nannying is fun, depending of course on age you prefer and the family you end up with. I get to take the kids bowling, to the amusement park, to the lake, etc. It's not usually as well-paying as other part time jobs are, but I like that it's something relevant to my education resume. Based on my experience working for daycares, I definitely prefer nannying!

7. Vince

Vince Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

Last summer I worked at my local regional park, they hire lots of people for the busy summer season. This year I set my sites higher and have applied for Yosemite National Park. I'm really hoping I get a position!