Summer Income/Budgeting =)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ECE ABC, Jun 14, 2014.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

Just curious....

1) When do/did you receive your last check?

2) Will you work summer school/tutor in the summer?

3) Do you pick up any extra cash or pay from other non-teaching/child related jobs?

4) If you are NOT working the summer months at alllllllllll, how do you mange/budget for those 2 months?

My last school year paycheck will be given to me this coming Friday, June 20th. But luckily, I am starting summer school on July 1st for 4 weeks so my last summer check will arrive August 1st.

Which means August will be tough. Having a hard time finding a job for 3.5 weeks only. I think tutoring is the ONLY thing I can do in that amount of time.

Booooy am I going to have to stretch my pennies in August:eek:

This coming school year I decided to do the summer fund program our credit union provides to take a little from my check every week/month to cover the summer........especially if one year I don't get summer school:( I am definitely looking into that!!!!!!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

Honestly, for the two years I didn't get paid in July and August (maybe it was three...), I lived off of a credit card during the month of August. I'm still paying for that many years later :tired:

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2014

I sign up for the 12 month pay option every year so that I know I will have a paycheck coming every two weeks, all year long. It is wonderful.

I never work in the summers. I never pick up any extra jobs/work.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2014

1) When do/did you receive your last check? I'll get paid this Friday, last day plus a stipend for dismissal duty in two weeks.

I'll be tutoring several hours a week

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

We are paid twice a month over 12 months.

I nanny in the summer and I'm paid weekly for that.

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

I am definitely doing the summer savings program through the credit union for next year :)

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2014

I usually teach summer school over the summer. I will be teaching summer school this summer, but this summer will probably be my last. I am married so I do have another income coming in. I would look into the possibility of 12 month payments.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

Our teachers are paid 1x/month for 11 months. They don't receive a July 31st check.

10. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

I wish 12 months was an option..i get 11 months (every week) counting summer school bcuz i'm a Para but I will plan for next year by taking a little out each week during the school year, whether or not I get summer school again I want money to withdraw from in August.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

I get 11 paychecks, we do have the option for 12 months, and I'll be switching to that soon. This month I'm teaching summer school, so the paycheck I'm getting in July will be an almost full paycheck, and then in August I'll get the regular pay.

12. blake

blake Rookie

Jun 14, 2014

In my district we get paid every other Wednesday with 26 paychecks for 12 months. Teachers and all staff members must receive their pay over 12 months. However, years ago teachers did have the option of 10 months or 12 months. We receive our first paycheck on the first wednesday of August and our last check sometime at the end of July.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

Just curious....

On June 27 (our last day of school) I will receive 3 paychecks - 1 for June, 1 for July and 1 for August

No

3) Do you pick up any extra cash or pay from other non-teaching/child related jobs?

No

4) If you are NOT working the summer months at alllllllllll, how do you mange/budget for those 2 months?

Even though I technically get paid for the summer, 3 rent cheques come out of that - July, August and September. I pay July rent right away and then I transfer August and September rent into a separate account so it can't be spent.

Summer is a great time to check out FREE things to do in your town or city. My city is full of awesome free festivals and events. You don't have to spend a lot to have a great time.

Track your spending and watch out for little purchases adding up over time.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 15, 2014

My contract for this year (2013-2014) will be finished in July, then my next contract kicks in in August. So what's really nice is that I get a check every single month, including over the summer months. :)

I'm completing a summer grant through my school, which is paying me $1000 to update my 3rd and 4th grade science curriculum. That will probably go straight to my credit card bill though :p Otherwise, I'm very blessed to never have had to get a summer job- I get paid the same every month and my husband works year round so we always have two incomes. :love:

I'm not against the idea- I just haven't come across anything worth my while. I was thinking of taking a cashiering job at my husband's work place but then I wouldn't be able to have some time off in July for a trip we are taking with in-laws.

A friend also told me about an online company that will pay you to write articles for them- so I'm looking into that as a little something to do.

Even with the same income coming in, I try to be thoughtful with how I spend the money. I try not running the air conditioners until my husband gets home from work (I can usually deal with the heat better than he does), I don't go out every day to save on gas, and I try to more snacks to eat at home.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

I get all of my pay for July and August at the end of June. My bank account always looks very nice for a bit. By the time mid-September comes around, things are a bit tight. What I try to do is take a large chunk of that big paycheck and put it into another account (one that isn't linked to my debit card and that I don't have cheques for). Making those funds harder to access helps me to save some.

16. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 15, 2014

I opt for a 10 month pay period with 2 checks each month. I'm able to save enough each month to cover my expenses during the summer plus add to my 403B. If any summer curriculum work is offered I my sign up for it. I do get a stipend for being secretary of my union. This year I did not run a club. Otherwise I would have received a stipend for that. I do not work during the summer unless someone asks me to tutor.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2014

I get two checks June 30th

Nope!

Nope!

It's hard to find a summer job here - it's our off-season, all the kids are looking for jobs, and I usually take one or two trips. My district pays twice a month for 12 months, but they often pay early (Think holidays and such) and, of course, no checks in July (we get a total of four pay checks in June). I put money in my savings account every paycheck throughout the year. I plan for projects to do ahead of time, purchase supplies, then store them until summer. The first set of June checks, I transfer all of my share of the bills for June into our joint checking. The second set, I transfer all of my share of the July bills. August gets a bit sticky - in the past, BF had to cover me until the first August check. This year - baring any unexpected bills like last year - I should be able to pay my August bills out of my savings.

I also try to find free things to keep me busy in the summer - library, beach, pool, walk to the grocery store instead of drive, etc.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

Everyone in my district is paid twice a month year-round. I taught summer school one year, but it wasn't worth driving 25 minutes each way to teach for 3 hours. I usually do some volunteer work in the summer.

19. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 15, 2014

My students all want breaks before they take the October test.
    I'm counting on my daughter's talent to get us through the summer. :love:

20. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 15, 2014

1) My last check will be June 30. I won't get paid again until 9/15.

2) Nope. Maybe when my kiddies are grown up, but right now I enjoy my summers off with them.

3) Nope.

4) We have my husband's income and our savings. We have our vacation coming up this summer too, but that's already paid for. :)

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2014

Maybe I shouldn't ask or I don't get your response, but what talents of your daughter's are you depending on for income ...

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 15, 2014

We are paid over 12 months. I do have a summer job that I use to pay for all the extras over the year.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

We get paid over 12 months.

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 15, 2014

I also get paid over 12 months. If the district offers you that option, I can't see why anyone would do otherwise.

I usually do some kind of Summer Job/PD though too. I use the money from it for various projects, or to save up for education later in my life.

25. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

This is what I would suggest. It won't help this summer. Maybe some baby sitting to get some extra cash over the summer to help you through August this year.

I would take enough out to ensure if you don't do summer school you have extra funds. That will mean one really tough year, but if you do get summer school again next year, that extra money can be saved for the year after (barring no major financial crisis which requires you to use it).

26. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

Thank you, I am definitely going to do that. I am already figuring out how much to take out starting in September :)

27. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

I'm paid over 12 months, so I luckily don't have a check that is skipped.

I will tutor some, have not started yet.

Yes - I work at a nearby restaurant, about 20-30 hours/week, less during the school year. They are also flexible with my hours during the school year, so it is a good fit.

28. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

I am paid over 12 months so I am lucky there. I have done summer school in the past but I am not doing it this year. I actually just started a masters program so I am losing a lot of money this summer paying for that.

29. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

I keep reading about training and workshops that teachers attend and get paid for. I have only one a year that Paras attend, its PMT training and I go in October for my renewal. Its at night so I get 3 extra hours of pay for attending.

I wish they would offer more training in the summer.

30. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 15, 2014

1. I get paid during the summer also, so now this isn't an issue. To be honest, however, even when I didn't get paid over the summer, it wasn't an issue. I am very good at making a budget and sticking to it.

2. No, I don't work during the summer. Up until this year, I had children at home all summer. I now have a bit more flexibility, but there are many things on the to-do list.

3. No

4. Very simply. I take. The annual net salary and divide it by 12. I don't do it now, but I actually used to account for every penny that we spent in a given month. I divided expenses into categories and allotted money to each category. If a category was over budget, spending in the area was halted. I also set up an emergency fund so that we never ran in the red. And yes, it was a considerable amount of work, but it did work, and it made me much more conscious of our spending.

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2014

I will recieve my last check on the 20th. We are paid twice a month, on the 5th and 20th.

Yes, I work throughout the year tutoring and assisting in accounting.

Yup, accounting for a business here in town.

I used to not work during the summer, this is actually my first year with a teaching job that I will work during the summer. I'm actually very good at moving money as soon as I am paid from my checking into savings account. Next school year, I will reopen the summer savings account for teachers at my credit union. You can set it up where as soon as the direct deposit into your checking is made, the CU will move however much you want into your summer savings account.