Summer: Hibernate?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

Hey Everyone -

So I wonder if I am alone in this situation I find myself in -every- summer.

During the school year, I am a very social person. Bubbly, outgoing, etc. Always at the teacher/staff parties, frequently at the happy hours, etc.

But during the summer months I tend to hibernate. :huh:

I spend quite a bit of time with my husband and son, of course, but I notice I am only talking with other "grown-ups" at the park or when planning a play date afternoon for my three-year-old.

Even at night when my teacher friends want to get together for drinks I'd rather just stay home and play video games or finish a novel.

I don't know if I just retreat into a shell during the summer months as a way to recharge, but I just wonder if anyone else finds themselves slowing down their pace over the summer?

Thanks. :)

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

I am the opposite...I tend to get so bogged down with work and work responsibilities that I start to "hibernate" in the winter (and I think the weather has something to do with it too- I hate being out in cold and snow). I usually only end up going out with friends on the weekends in the winter. I may do a weekday happy hour here and there, but typically after a long day of school I'd really rather just go home. During the summer I'm up for doing anything whenever! I'm teaching summer school, but it's only half days so I still have a lot more free time.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

I always sort of stay in my own little shell. I feel like the little free time I do have I just want to spend it with my family.

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jul 23, 2014

I have heard it explained that extroverts get energy by being around others and introverts get energy by spending time alone. Not sure if it is quite so cut and dry, but I definitely enjoy spending a lot of time by myself.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

I tend to do less during the school year, but during the summer it's all about being social. I would be bored if I didn't get out!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 24, 2014

I'm pretty much the same way year-round (more on the hibernating side), but like the other posters, a tad the opposite from you Starista. My friends work at schools too, so we're all much more free to meet up in the summer. I really only meet up with them once a year (if that) & so it's in the summertime.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2014

I love being home in the summer...cooking out, cocktails on my porch, sitting outside and reading, gardening, home projects that I don't get to all year, working on some personal and professional growth opportunities....but I don't hibernate. I'm out somewhere almost every day...lunch with colleagues or other friends, dates with dh, happy hour, farm stands, beach and pool days, definitely some day trip or festival every weekend...summer reenergizes me while giving me time to relax and reflect.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2014

I make sure to give much needed attention to the things I enjoy year round. Luckily, those things include my family and the opportunity to contribute meaningfully in my community. As I've gotten older, I have discovered that the more I contribute in the lives of those who are in need, the more fulfilled my own life becomes. This really helps me feel recharged and ready for the upcoming school year. Having an entire 2 1/2 months off from work really is a special thing that many cannot relate to. I love it! I plan to teach English abroad next summer as a volunteer in an area of high need.