Summer Fruit

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Aug 2, 2015.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 2, 2015

I went food shopping and bought the most delicious peaches today.....firm, juicy, sweet........YUMMMMMM!

I also bought berries (buy 1 get 1 free) strawberries, rasberries & blueberries for frozen smoothies:p

I usually get watermelon but I still have a wedge in my fridge that my mom gave me that I haven't finished yet.

I just looove summer fruit!!!!!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2015

Sounds good! I love kiwi, strawberries, pineapples, & mango!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 2, 2015

I spend a lot on fruit during the summer!

On our last trip to the grocery store, we bought honeydew, cantelope, strawberries, cherries, plums, pears, nectarines, peaches, grapes, and bananas.

5. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 2, 2015

Ohhhhh I love pineapple too:D

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 3, 2015

I have been buying the baby watermelons. I could easily eat the whole thing in one sitting!!

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 3, 2015

Yeah, I love watermelon! I have been known to ''indulge'' as well and cherries too, when hard & crunchy (not soft and squishy) are fantastic!!!!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 3, 2015

I get a weekly farm share and have been enjoying watermelon and cantaloupe from that. Previously it's been strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and cherries. This week there should be some peaches as well as the watermelon and cantaloupe.

Strawberries are a weekly purchase for me regardless of the time of year. It's just a lot nicer when they're in season :). One of my favorite breakfasts or healthy snacks is some cut up strawberries with plain Greek yogurt and a few slivered almonds. In fact, I just enjoyed a bowl after my workout today :). I enjoy it almost as much as a bowl of ice cream and it's certainly way healthier!

9. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 3, 2015

I lived on strawberries, vanilla greek yogurt & almonds (sometimes walnuts) for a long time and I lost weight as well eating that way...I stayed away from French toast, pancakes, bagels and I felt so much better and its such a treat, I agree 100%!!!!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2015

I picked some blackberries and made a cobbler, and my mom bought some from her sister and made jam. Yummy! The wild berries are so much more flavorful than the store-bought ones.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2015

This is what I have for breakfast almost every day. I do vary the berries depending on season--right now I'm enjoying blueberries!

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 3, 2015

I'll sometimes do raspberries instead of strawberries with my yogurt, but there's just something I love about that yogurt, strawberry, almond combo :). I never thought I would like plain yogurt, but it's so awesome with the fruit. And better for you than the sweetened yogurt. I was amazed how much more sugar there was in vanilla yogurt compared to plain. I mean you expect a fruit flavored yogurt to have added sugar, but the amount in vanilla surprised me. I'm definitely not a "count your calories" kind of eater, but if there's a healthy alternative that's good, I'm all for it.

13. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 3, 2015

Hmmm thanks for the tip, I never thought vanilla yogurt would have a lot of sugar in it :)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 3, 2015

Berries and yogurt are good! I buy the plain greek yogurt but have to add a sprinkle of stevia because I like it sweeter. I stopped buying the yogurt with the fruit mixed in after I realized how much sugar is in them. Blackberries are my favorite berry. I really want to grow some bushes at some point.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2015

Have you thought of freezing the fresh berries yourself? I freeze berries all summer long. Don't wash them, throw on cookie sheet so they freeze individually & then put in baggie or whatever. I throw them in ice cream buckets we have had for a long time. We have been blueberry picking at least 2 times a week. They are $1 a pound for u pick!!! We have our own raspberry & blackberry (wild). We also used our food saver to do green, yellow, & purple beans. Waiting to see if my uncle's pear tree has any!!!

16. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Aug 5, 2015

My favorites are blueberries and watermelon. In fact the store had blueberries on sale so I picked up 2 pints today. Time for a snack!