summer fitness

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Brenda S., May 25, 2003.

1. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 22, 2003

Hey Love To Teach- I think I seen that OPrah too.. there was a guy on there that just died in June because he was so big, he couldn't even leave his house because he couldn't fit through the doorway.. He had to of been so... miserable! Was that the show you seen? Also, I read in a magazine, that if you cut down and only drink 1 can of DIET (it can't be reg.) pop a week, for one year, you're suppost to lose 25 pounds! I haven't tried this at all... but I bet it would work for someone who drinks ALOT of pop... If any of you are brave enough to try it! lol

2. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 22, 2003

I am so glad to hear everyone is doing well. We had talked about short term goals. Remember Labor Day?!? Well, 6 weeks until Labor Day.

I put a checkmark on the calendar everyday I exercise for at least 20 minutes. It is so nice to look back on July and see so many checks. I don't have a scales, so unsure about weight loss. But my endurance level is way up! Yeah! I feel better.

I'm cutting down on pop, tanking up on water, and taking smaller portions and no seconds. It has got to be helping.

Brenda

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 22, 2003

There are many excuses not to exercise but the real effective solution is to reduce the amount of tv watching, and when you want to go to the kitchen to eat...use some self control and go for a walk instead...then eventually you can go for a run...then you might try waking up an hour earlier and stretching, running, and you will feel like a new person...It takes a lot of self CONTROL! Read some books on it....but don't keep focusing on the things that make it hard for you to be healthy and lose weight...focus on the fact that there are so many resources out there to help u!!! and focus on "I can" instead of why "I can't" ...simplify your life...people years ago used to wake up early in the morning and do hard labor, very hard labor! We have it so easy in America that anything challenging feels impossible...don't let yourself become another diabetes or heart attack victim....you want to live a long healthy life and be there for your loved ones. So get up and make a change...nobody will do it for you! -anonymous

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2003

LOVE TO TEACH.... I sent you 4 recipes via Private message!!! I hope you can use and enjoy all or at least most of them!!!

If anyone else would like them I will forward the message to you as well just post here or PM me!!! :)

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 23, 2003

Hi, DizneeTeach! I'm always up for great recipes. Can you pass them along? Thanks!!
    Christy

6. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 24, 2003

DizneeTeachR - I would also like the recipes. I don't know how PM works. If you send will I know how to read it? Thanks!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2003

Here are the recipes!!!

Cheesy Crockpot Chicken Servs. 8 4 1/2 pts.
    2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I do 5-6)
    2 cans cream of chicken soup (I think needs to be the low fat)
    1 can cheddar cheese soup
    1/4 tsp garlic powder

Place chicken breasts in crockpot (can be frozen). Mix undiluted soups together with garlic powder & pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hrs. until chicken is tender. Serve over rice or noodles (these add pts though). {I've had it over both and it's good}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff Servs. 6 4pts.
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast
    1 can 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom soup
    16 ozs. fat free sour cream
    1 envelope onion souop mix, Liptons -dry

Put frozen chicken breast in bottom of crockpot. Combine soup, sour cream, onion soup mix & pour over chicken. Cook on low for 7 hrs. May be served over noodles or rice (these add pts). Also great with 98% fat free Cream of Chicken soup.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chicken Parm 3pts
    1/4 cup grated parmesian (the stuff in green can is fine)
    2 Tbls. Italian Bread crumbs
    1/8 tsp. paprika (if you don't have don't worry about)
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    In resealable bag combine the dry ingrediants. Add the chicken and shake until coated or put on plate and coat chicken. Use a non stick backing sheet. Bake until chicken cooked through 20-25 min @ 400.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Fruity Yogurt 2pts per 1 cup
    1 container (32 oz) Vanilla or plain lowfat or nonfat yogurt
    1 can of crushed pineapple (juice and all)
    Fat Free/Sugar Free Pudding : coconut cream (my fav. tastes just like a alcohol free pina colada), banana (ok), Pistachio or vanilla yogurt.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brownie Bran Muffins about 1/2 pt per muffin
    3 cups of All Bran Original Cereal
    Soak cereal in 2 1/2 cups of water for 5 min.
    Add 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 box low fat brownie mix (Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards)
    Put into ungreased tim or paper cups
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 min.

{I gave this recipe to my friends that are teachers and they loved them. My hubby calls them "Colon Blow" because of all the fiber!!! LOL!!}

I hope these help all of you and enjoy!!!!!

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 25, 2003

Yum!!

Thanks, Diznee TeachR! I think I'll have the crockpot chicken tonight! :D
    Christy

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2003

Christy
    You'll have to let me know what you think!!! I know you'll enjoy it. One of the teachers I gave the cheesy chicken to said it would be good over mashed potatoes, but those aren't low in pts. I made it once and the PTO made popcorn at school and I took some home & dipped the popcorn just in the cheesy sauce!!!! YUMMY!!! :)

10. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 27, 2003

I can't wait to try the recipes. Thanks!

Summer is going way too fast. Back in May it seemed like I had plenty of time. Here I am with school starting in 3 weeks.

The temperature is usually over 100*. It is hard to have the energy to excerise. One plus, though, is I don't feel much like eating in this heat.

11. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 27, 2003

Hi, DizneeTeachR! I am afraid your PM did not get through to me, but I see them here, now. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them for us! Can't wait to try them, but need to shop for groceries. (Not my favorite thing to do! :) ) Congratulations on your new job and that new baby on the way!! How exciting! Thanks, again! :) Jody

Brenda, I so hear you!! I'm starting to panic, too! Where did the summer go?! :eek: :)

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2003

Love to Teach
    I posted them here instead...sorry I didn't email you to let you know!!! Quite a few of you wanted them that I thought it would be easier to put them here!!! My fav is the Cheesy Chicken and I LOVE the fruity yogurt with coconut cream!!! Thanks for the boost of support. I'm a little nervous about getting everything around before the baby comes!!!

13. daisy

daisy Rookie

Jul 28, 2003

It's great to see this thread!

In the last week, my husband and I have started to walk more often and cut back on what we eat. I am a soda junkie, but I have cut down considerably on that. If I drink all my water for the day, I allow myself to have 1 glass of cafeinne free diet soda. That has helped my craving for the taste of soda. (I don't think it's the cafeinne if I'm drinking cafeinne free.:) )Anyhow, my goal now is to walk at least 5 days a week, drink my 8 8oz glasses of water, and eat more healthy (That's very hard to do with only $40 a week for groceries.)I just know that I am too tired at the end of the day. I am anemic, but I think it's the weight and lack of exercise, too. BTW, someone asked about our overall goals. I need to lose about 40 lbs., but my hubby and I have decided not to look at the scale for at least another month. It's too much of a bummer when there's no change.

:confused: Any ideas about healthy main courses for dinner. I can only eat so much grilled chicken. Also, how are the walking videos working for those who do them? I can't afford a gym memebership, and I thought they might be good.

Anyhow, thanks for this forum. I'm so happy to see it here because I need it!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2003

For low-cal, low-cost, how about:

Chicken soup with rice (you can sing the song while you eat)

Tuna/pasta salad - with fat free mayo dressing, celery, any kind of pasta

Western omelette

Teriyaki veggies over rice - can add a bit of meat if you want to

Grilled pork loin chop - seasoned or marinated first in soy sauce, water and dash of brown sugar

Chicken enchiladas - steam or saute chicken strips, cover outside of flour tortillas with whatever kind of margarine or olive oil you can have, top with salsa, onions, chicken, low fat cheese and bake

Chicken casserole - layer cooked rice, cooked cubed chicken, steamed broccoli, cover with fat free cream of chicken or broccoli soup, any kind or amount of cheese (optional), top with crumbled crackers, bake for 50 minutes

Side dishes - my favorites are:

fresh sweet potato (microwave for 5 - 8 minutes depending on size)

snow peas and onions sauteed in teflon pan with dash of water and dash of olive oil, garlic if you like

Enjoy!

15. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 29, 2003

Keep it up, Daisy! It is a smart idea to stay off the scales. They don't show the whole story.

Great recipes, Thanks!

Success story - All my jeans are in the wash. I pulled a pair out that was too tight on me. One size smaller than I am wearing now. I pulled them on and they fit!!! Not only that, they fit well. It even gets better, there was $5 in the pocket!!

This week will be the hardest week this summer. My county fair. We eat picnics at every meal, a lot of junk food, and a lot of pop. This motivates me, to be very careful.

Thanks for listening.

16. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 29, 2003

Great news, Brenda! Awesome!!:) And $5 to boot!! :D Good luck at the fair! Sounds like you are already planning ahead and will handle it with ease! Thanks for sharing your success -and a smile!- with us!! Take care! ;)

17. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Aug 6, 2003

Wonderful for you Brenda! I fell off the fitness wagon- too many days visiting my gourmet(sp)cook sister. and many days of 'I just want to eat what I want and do nothing'. But, the good news is I have walked everyday in August so far and I hope to keep it up. Big folk festival(music and such) coming up this weekend with many house guests(we had 22 last year, but soooo much fun) so i just know I don't want to be on a 'diet' but I'm trying to keep the food excess to a minimum. Only 3.5 weeks to labour day!

Dawn

18. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 7, 2003

Good luck, Dawn! I think depriving yourself just makes it worse. Try to make healthy choices, taste everything in small portions, and keep trying to walk. I don't know about you, but it is so hot I don't want to exercise. But, the truth is, I love that peaceful time away from my children. It gives me a whole 30 minutes with my own thoughts. It is amazing how you can solve the world's problems when you have time to think!!

19. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Aug 7, 2003

I get up at 5:30 every morning so I ahve time to walk, before work or school, and before my daughter wakes up. This way, it's still cool in the morning, but not hot. On mornings that I don't get up that early, i walk on the treadmill, and I have a fan- it's one of those fans that turn and that makes it feel good. Just trying to help!

20. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 19, 2003

It is only 2 weeks until Labor Day. I thought it would be so easy. It hasn't been. I do get pretty good excercise, and have cut down on portions. I don't see much change.

No wait a minute. I guess I do. I feel better. I enjoy walking. I feel better when I am done. I may not have lost the pounds, but I know it has helped. Thanks for putting up with me this summer.

21. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Aug 19, 2003

We had a fun time putting up with you! lol I think we all ahd a great time sharing our problems and insperational stories! Good luck to you lal and keep losing the weight! ;)