summer fitness

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Brenda S., May 25, 2003.

1. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 25, 2003

My goal this summer is to get started on a fitness program. I need to lose a lot of weight. And I think I won't be so tired all the time if I excercise more. Does anyone want to share success stories? Maybe we can stay in touch and support each other?!? I think I will go walking now!

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 25, 2003

Hi Brenda! This sounds great! I would also love to have a support system. I was suppose to lose weight for my ten-year reunion next month and somehow didn't manage to do it (imagine that). Anyway, are you doing anything specific? I think I am going to do Weight Watchers. I like the flexibility of the program. Plus, if you exercise, you get to eat more! That's motivation enough!

My husband and I want to have another baby SOON and I don't need a lot of extra weight. I want to be healthy for a little one.

What is your goal? I am unsure of mine yet.

4. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 25, 2003

I used to a fitness trainer at Curves For Women as a part time job but my schedule already is so busy (school, teaching, my friends, boy friend, and baby-yes, I have a baby, only 3 weeks old) So I had to quit but I think it's an awsome program.

5. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 26, 2003

My problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere! The nearest town is 20 miles. It is too small to help much. I think I'm on my own on this. My kids are very busy and I take them everywhere. They are physicaly active, so I am going to use them. Like play their sports with them. Basketball, badmitton, tennis, etc. Anything to make myself move. I also like aerobics, but I have to get up early, to get use of TV/VCR. The worst thing is it is easier to snack in the summer. On top of that, I take medication that causes weight gain.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 26, 2003

support

Youre right about offering support to each other. i MUST this summer regain my figure from its out of control shape. If i got down to my goal weight then that means i have to lose 80 pounds. It isnt going to completely come off in the eight weeks but i will be trying daily to exercise and READ while exercising!

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 27, 2003

Brenda--try Walk Away the Pounds Videos--you can do in the privacy of your own home--in the air conditioning. :)

I just joined curves about 3 weeks ago. I love it! You just go around the circle--and before I know it, I'm done!

8. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 27, 2003

What is curves? I haven't heard of that.

9. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 29, 2003

It is a health club just for women. They have a book out--by the same name.

10. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 29, 2003

The reason I like them is that everyone there is so supportive and tries to help you out not like some other places I've heard about where you get treated bad if you are really big. My motto is that "Life Is Way Too Short To Diet", I personally am very, very little (people say I'm sick), but if I was big, I don't think I would diet, I would watch what I eat, but wouldn't diet. Life is way too short worrying about your looks, don't ya agree?

11. charli

charli Guest

May 30, 2003

I need to lose 30 lbs. not for looks (I'm past 40 now)but for my health. I have been on blood pressure meds and having a hard time keeping stable. I do well if I walk and do the water thing. I think just having a support system is what everyone needs. I have lost 10 in 4 wks just cutting down on my carbs a little and walking. I hope to continue this pattern. Good luck to all of us OW people to beginning a new school year a skinnier us!

12. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 30, 2003

In just a week, I have just about broke the pop habit. I have been drinking lots of water. So far I have done something active everyday since I started. It makes me feel good to be active. My long term goal for weight loss would be close to 100 pounds. My summer goal is more about getting fit than weight loss. Thanks for listening.

13. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 30, 2003

Way to go Brenda! I remember when I was pregnant and quit drinking soda, I had headaches for a week. I hope it has been easier on you!!! Not having the caffeine highs and lows makes a big difference in how you feel. I have tried to eat better this week and I walked a mile each night Mon. through Thurs. It felt so good. I feel guilty for not going tonight, but the humidity makes me not want to do anything.

Good luck this weekend! Keep your spirits up and know that you have others who like to hear what you are doing. It's motivational!

I am going to lunch with my best friend from high school tomorrow and we are going shopping for outfits for our 10-year reunion next weekend. I'm afraid I will probably not eat so well tomorrow!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 31, 2003

My goal, too, would be about 100 lbs - if I could bring myself to even think about it. I know I'm not ready. I just can't add that misery onto everything else. But, with a dog to walk 5 times a day, I do find that I have more energy. I kicked the caffeine habit a couple of years ago and have stuck to it. I eat way too much salt, however. Since I don't cook as often as I used to, I have cut back on meat, which is good. But if I did what I should, I could probably go off blood pressure and cholesterol meds - and save money!! I'll keep reading your inspiring stories and see what happens.

15. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 29, 2003

I, too, have decided that this is the summer for some big changes in my lifestyle. I am SO tired of being tired all the time, and I am tired of feeling like a hypocrite when teaching our Growing Healthy series to my fifth graders. I, too, live 20 miles from the nearest big town, but thank goodness it has a Curves for Women center. I just started and feel better already. It goes so fast,is fun, and the staff is wonderful. I was really feeling guilty about driving 40 miles to excercise for twenty-thirty minutes, but I just can't do it on my own. And I've decided that I am entitled to do this-I don't ever give it a second thought when I transport my boys all over the country for their sporting events.:)

Curves has a website @ www.curvesforwomen.com. There you can find out where the nearest one is located. Thanks for the idea of the walking video. It would be great to do on the days I don't go to Curves. I have never liked walking outdoors-it is so boring! And it is so humid and hot that the only time to walk is early morning or late evening, both prime mosquito times. Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!:)

Sorry to ramble on so!;) Best of luck to everyone! I know we can do it!!

16. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Jun 29, 2003

I just joined your list a day or so ago. I have been reading and visiting so many of the good sites you post. Thank you for being so helpful.

I just lost 40 pounds through weight watchers. I went to the meetings for a few weeks and then finished up doing the online thing. I think it is an excellent program. The mindset you must get in is that....this is NOT a diet....this is a lifestyle. You will be eating like this....which is totally healthy...for the rest of your life. I bought a used treadmill and went on that every morning at 4:30. I had to be to school at 6:30 to open and was just too tired when I got home.:) You just have to want it bad enough to make it a priority. My legs hurt from standing so much and I was just tired of being at that weight. I am no spring chicken either. I just went through the big M and it makes it even harder to lose.

I also like to walk when it is not too hot. I put on my walkman and just go. I plan all sorts of lessons, etc when I walk along.
    I visit a chatboard on WW called nifty fifties and we are a fun and supportative group. Ladies on there use those Walk Off The Pounds all the time.

If I can help you, let me know. You CAN do this...just do it for yourself.

17. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jun 29, 2003

I went to the Dr. last week. The bad news is she wants me to lower my weight, my blood pressure, and my cholesterol. There is no good news.

We are in prime baseball season. I am back to drinking too much pop. But I am trying to get some excercise. I think we do deserve this for ourselves. We will be less tired. Our feet won't hurt. We could cut back on meds. And feel less guilty. I agree about teaching good nutrition in my shape.

Keep smiling.

18. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 29, 2003

so out of shape

Its dangerous to be not only overweight, but soooo out of shape. I am moving heavy boxes, out of breath and sooooo sore everynight because i am using such unactive muscles. Combine the fact that i am carrying boxes with big weight inside them, and florida's summer heat, the only thing thats keeping me going is mental drive. Physically i am pooped. I am bruised ALL over my body even in places that you would be amazed. I have got to get into a repertoire after i move. i have started for three weeks now doing soy protein drinks that you eat fruits and vegetables along with it. I feel so much more energy and internally know i am doing better.

19. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 29, 2003

I kind of avoided this thread because I thought it might be about superfit teachers doing superfit things and, believe me, I'm neither:( But much to my surprise i find a group of people just like me, who want to feel better, be less tired and get in better shape. Brenda S., I too live in the middle of nowhere, the nearest commercial gym is about 110km and a ferry ride away, I also need to lose approx. 100 lbs and I have been attending W.W. about once a month in that far away town. I did great in Jan and Feb.(20lb) but got sick, stressed and am now facing 16 of those lbs again! I have vowed to walk every day and today I restarted the W.W. program. I think it would be great to have a support group especially for those of us who can't regularly access one. Count me in, I'll be watching for everyones success stories and also here to help with less successful stories if I can.
    Dawn

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2003

I have arthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I would love to get off all the medications I can't afford. The only thing I've been successful at is walking. My neighborhood is like dog heaven and a 30 minute walk each morning, though hot and yucky, is the best I can do. I can't believe I weighed 100 pounds when I got married (long time ago).

21. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Jun 29, 2003

Ladies...and I think you are all ladies..you can do this. You can do this for yourself. Start out with slow steps. Try just writing down what you eat for a week. Get in the habit of journaling. If you bite it, you must write it. Also try to drink 8 glasses of water. WW has many steps and sometimes trying everything at once is just too overwhelming. Start with these 2 things. Set a small goal. Do not think of your goal weight. Set a realistic goal of a certain number of pounds by Labor Day. Healthy weight loss is slow. 2 lbs a week is about all you can expect and many times less. You are acquiring life long habits. The longer it takes to lose it....the better you will be at keeping it off. We all know how fast a year goes. This time next year you can easily be 75 lbs less or more if you just START right now. And when you fail...and we all fail...do not beat yourself up. Just get on with your life and get back to the program. I cannot believe how much more energy I have and the parents of the kids I taught have been to supportive and full of compliments. All the good summer fruits are here now. It is a good time to get healthy habits.

I have been working on new lessons for next year today and looking at some more of the links you have all posted.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

22. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Jun 29, 2003

I'm right along with you guys! I need to lose a lot of weight too, and it's been difficult to exercise with the medical problems I have had for the last year. After I had my baby last year, I was hoping to work out and lose this weight, but because of problems I haven't been able to. Walking is something I can do now, along with light swimming, and as soon as I get the green light, I bought myself a beginners pilates video to workout to. I eat right, just have really awful metabolism, :( I wish you all luck in achieving your goals!!

23. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 29, 2003

I just have a weakness for cokes and chocolate! We have a Curves here where I live. I pass by it everyday taking my little boy to the daycare, and I just keep passing right on by. I have thought about stopping, but I just keep on keeping on. :D
    I would like to know more about it TARA.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2003

There's a woman on a cooking show on tv who says: you don't have to be perfect, just be better. When you're starting out, just cut down on your 'weak spots'- the soda, chocolate, etc. Don't go cold turkey right away-limit yourself to one soda a day, then maybe one diet soda per day the next week and then switch to seltzer, etc. Walking is great because it's less 'jarring'! Just get moving- you'll feel better about yourself and will be motivated to keep going-I've been walking since school ended last week. A few HOT days- but then I go early evening when it cools a little. Good luck!!

25. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jun 30, 2003

Thanks for all the great replies. It's nice to know we're together in this. I am trying to walk. My biggest weakness isn't sweets (although I like them). My problem is meat. I love the main dish. I would rather have seconds than dessert. So, my goals are walk everyday, and portion control. Eat a serving and quit. Keep it up!

I like the Labor Day goal as a short term. Let's all try that!!
    It is 9 weeks from today. One pound a week would be 9 pounds and 2 a week would be 18. I am going to be realistic and set my goal at 10 pounds. Any other takers?

26. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 30, 2003

Count me in. I think that I could manage 2 lbs. a week. I didn't walk yesterday but I cut grass for 2 hours so that was some exerise. My hubby is gone to university and my daughter is visiting my mother so I only have me and my son to feed so I should be able to start off right if I don't have to cook so much. Just made low-fat, high fiber banana muffins-I added chocolate chips to 1/3 for my sweet-loving son. Hopefully I'll eat well today.

Write down all you eat, it really helps. It's a good way to start, just knowing that you are going to have to write it down makes you think twice about eating it. I'm committing myself to writing down everything I eat from now to Labour Day even if it's not what I should be eating. Any one else ready to do the same?- I'll do better if I know I have partners.
    Dawn:D :D

27. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jun 30, 2003

I need help with dieting and exercise. I'm a terrible eater, I could live on Pepsi and chocolate for the rest of my life....I need to loose at least 30 pounds, my husband needs to loose at the very least 100. I'm not working or going to school this summer so I could devote a certain time each day to exercise (schedules work well for me) but as dumb as this sounds, I don't really know what to do or where to start. I live in an area where I have the opportunity to go for walks (how long/how far is good?), swim, and ride my bike. We also have some old Tony Little videos I could do but I just to seem to know where to begin. Any suggestions? What is a worthwile distance/time to walk or ride my bike? Do the videos work? Is there a certain order to do things in? Please help :(

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 30, 2003

Hi Girls! ( and/or boys??)
    I know your struggles with weight loss....i know that lots of people knock the slimfast products, but I did them last summer and loved it! I did my own verson of the program...a shake for breakfast, one for lunch with half a sandwich, a snack and dinner...and if i was really hungry, someting helathy after dinner....fruits vegies etc.....I did this along with frequent walks all summer and lost abt 15 lbs...once school started i stoped, and just waatcehed what i ate and have stayed in a good range for most of the time..I think that they key is to eat in moderation...dotn deprive yourself of anything! IF you feel like having a cookie HAVE ONE...BUT JUST ONE, (okay, mabye 2:) NOT THE WHOLE BOX!
    WE call struggle with it...with some hard work it can be done! good luck to you all! :)

29. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 7, 2003

I know each and everyone of you guys can do it!!! Here's somethign that might, just might motivate some. (well, it did my friend) My Mom started dieting about a year ago... She started out at like some where around 250, now a year later, she's at 115- she walks 4 miles a day- 7 days a week, has 4 kids, including two 4 year olds, and goes on a 2 mile bikeride evyday. I think that's amazing- I camn't diet very well and I'm not going to. My weight has really gone up since I ahd my baby but I think life's too short too diet- why not eat what u want?

30. SC_Teacher

SC_Teacher Guest

Jul 7, 2003

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this or not...I am also on Weight Watchers, but am doing the on-line version. You can enter in the foods you eat each day and assign the point values THAT way. Also, you weigh in each week, but you just don't have to do it in front of others. I know the meetings work for some people, but I am a little more private about my fat buttocks. I'd rather keep it private and the computer allows me to do just that, yet still hold myself accountable to the point system. I LOVE IT! Just go to weightwatchers.com and follow the directions to join. Hope this helps! :D

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2003

Weight Watchers Tip...
    My mom & dad are big into that and my husband and I watch the snacks (although a week after we started I found out we are expecting). If you really like ice cream try the "Skinny Cows" or Klondike (I think) now makes a low fat ice cream sandwich... they are 2pts a piece. Not too bad for ice cream sandwich. The "Skinny Cows are a little more expensive, but have a lot more flavors than the other. They have vanilla, chocolate, mint, strawberry shortcake. They are really good.

I have another 2 pt fruit and yogurt recipe...I'll find it and post it here!!!

I'm Cheering all of you on and after we have they baby I'll need all of your support as well!!! :) I'll share whatever recipes I have from my mom as well....They both go to meeting once a week... my mom's lost about 40lbs and dad about 100!!!:)

32. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Jul 9, 2003

I am always looking for books to keep me inspired to keep this weight off. I just finished one....Get With The Program by Bob Greene. It was terrific. It dealt with the emotional eating problem. I got this from the library. He is Oprah's fitness coach.

33. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 10, 2003

I have found something to munch on when I get a craving. Dill pickles. They have way too much sodium, but other than that are they O.K.? It helps kill the taste of wanting something sweet.

I am sticking to the Labor Day goal. I have been walking nearly everyday. I try to watch what I eat. Bringing down the cholesterol may be harder than losing pounds.

34. Becky M.

Becky M. Guest

Jul 10, 2003

Curves is Great!

I wholeheartedly congratulate all of you on your commitment to be successful. I recently purchased the Curves book at Costco, and was amazed at how informative it is. I have tried a variety of things (including WW) but have really had minimal success. This book explains how your body becomes dependent upon carbs, and that it is not a lack of willpower, but it is a chemical issue (too much insulin). I found it amazing to realize that eating fruit and non-fat yogurt was in fact not eating healthily for my body type (Carbohydrate-sensitive). This way of eating is very convenient, doesn't really leave you hungry, allows you to eat 6 mini-meals per day, is adjustable for your family members who wish to add carbs to their meals, and helps you drop pounds! The at-home workouts outlined in the book are super-easy to follow, require only an exercise tube ($15-20) and a chair. The workouts are 30 min in length, 3 times per week, and boy do they work! You don't have to join a Curves to benefit, but I do recommend that you spend the nominal ($20) to buy the book, it's well worth it!

Good luck on all your journeys, and as it says in the book,
    "Two steps forward and one step backward will still get you to your destination.":D :D

35. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 11, 2003

Thanks for the book review. I go to Curves and wondered what the book was all about. Sounds good! I'm doing the Suzanne Somers Diet right now and have lost 40 lbs. so far.

36. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 21, 2003

How is everyone doing?! Summer is going by way too fast, isn't it?! I've made some positive changes, but am starting to slip into bad habits again! Just got done watching a repeat of an Ophra show on men and women who had lost enormous amounts of weight. Their stories were so amazing and touching! Makes me want to get refocused again!! :)

Seich30-hi! Forty pounds-that is SO awesome!! :cool: How do you stay motivated? I have been going to Curves for about three weeks, now. I feel so much better physically (feel like I am losing inches, too) and emotionally (about myself). I have been making better food choices-cutting down on sweets and proportions, have stopped drinking regular pop, and have increased my water intake. I have the Weight Watcher material and I KNOW it works, BUT I can't seem to make myself take the time to plan my meals or to write down everything I eat! How did you find the discipline to lose 40 pounds? :confused: I'm floundering! :( Any words of wisdom? :)

37. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2003

This summer I have made the decision to put a hold on the workshops and classes that usually fill my summer (well...at least I've cut back on them! :D ). I am working on me this summer. Getting some long overdue dental work done (Thank God for Enya cds...I'm surviving the dental chair!). New hairdo, and the biggest thing working on losing weight. I started following Weight Wathcers without going to the meetings. I did well at first. I've lost about 25 pounds (still a ways to go) but I've hit a plateau now. I live in a very rural town so I joined Weight Watchers online. I don't know if there is anything else they can do for me, but I figure if I'm going to be shelling out the money it's going to make me want to do better.
    I also just got the walk away the pounds videos and am alternating between them and line dancing.
    I am not anywhere near where I wanted to be at the start of school though. :(

Christy

38. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 21, 2003

Twenty-five pounds, Christy! Way to go! That's outstanding!! I, too, am at a plateau-only it's at FIVE pounds!!! :) U, on the other hand are doing great!! On the days that I don't go to Curves, I am doing the Walking the Pounds Off video, too. I am surprised at how fast the workout goes and how do-able it is. The first day I did it my boys (teasingly) gave me such a bad time! When I told them that I was using the video because walking outside was SO boring, they just rolled their eyes and pointed out that walking in place in front of a TV could hardly be more exciting! (They had a point, there!):D And then everytime they went by me for the rest of the day, they would kick up a leg or lift a knee! They weren't being mean-they really cracked me up! :) Anyway, in their own way, they actually helped by helping me see the funny side of my quest! :)

Hang in there! U-R doing wonderfully!!
    Jody

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2003

Love to teach,
    I have a crockpot recipe that's WW and a couple others that my mom has gotten from the meetings if you want I'll PM them to ya!!! Let me know!!!

Diznee

40. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 21, 2003

Thanks a bunch, Diznee TeachR! That would be great! Thanks for the help! :)
    Jody

41. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2003

Thanks, Jody! I feel really good for what I've lost, a lot of it went the first month (big changes, no more Dr Peppers, tons more water, etc) I know that even though the pounds aren't dropping like I want I am toning better. I would much rather be walking outside but here in town there just isn't that many places, besides we are hitting 110 heat index already, I know I need to sweat...but the AC feels really good! :D
    I've got a Wildlife and Fisheries workshop coming up in a couple of weeks that will involve some serious hiking so I know I'll drop a few more there (of course we are meeting at a Mexican restaurant to plan it so....:rolleyes: )

Christy