summer fitness

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Brenda S., May 25, 2003.

1. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 25, 2003

My goal this summer is to get started on a fitness program. I need to lose a lot of weight. And I think I won't be so tired all the time if I excercise more. Does anyone want to share success stories? Maybe we can stay in touch and support each other?!? I think I will go walking now!

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 25, 2003

Hi Brenda! This sounds great! I would also love to have a support system. I was suppose to lose weight for my ten-year reunion next month and somehow didn't manage to do it (imagine that). Anyway, are you doing anything specific? I think I am going to do Weight Watchers. I like the flexibility of the program. Plus, if you exercise, you get to eat more! That's motivation enough!

My husband and I want to have another baby SOON and I don't need a lot of extra weight. I want to be healthy for a little one.

What is your goal? I am unsure of mine yet.

4. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 25, 2003

I used to a fitness trainer at Curves For Women as a part time job but my schedule already is so busy (school, teaching, my friends, boy friend, and baby-yes, I have a baby, only 3 weeks old) So I had to quit but I think it's an awsome program.

5. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 26, 2003

My problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere! The nearest town is 20 miles. It is too small to help much. I think I'm on my own on this. My kids are very busy and I take them everywhere. They are physicaly active, so I am going to use them. Like play their sports with them. Basketball, badmitton, tennis, etc. Anything to make myself move. I also like aerobics, but I have to get up early, to get use of TV/VCR. The worst thing is it is easier to snack in the summer. On top of that, I take medication that causes weight gain.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 26, 2003

support

Youre right about offering support to each other. i MUST this summer regain my figure from its out of control shape. If i got down to my goal weight then that means i have to lose 80 pounds. It isnt going to completely come off in the eight weeks but i will be trying daily to exercise and READ while exercising!

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 27, 2003

Brenda--try Walk Away the Pounds Videos--you can do in the privacy of your own home--in the air conditioning. :)

I just joined curves about 3 weeks ago. I love it! You just go around the circle--and before I know it, I'm done!

8. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 27, 2003

What is curves? I haven't heard of that.

9. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 29, 2003

It is a health club just for women. They have a book out--by the same name.

10. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 29, 2003

The reason I like them is that everyone there is so supportive and tries to help you out not like some other places I've heard about where you get treated bad if you are really big. My motto is that "Life Is Way Too Short To Diet", I personally am very, very little (people say I'm sick), but if I was big, I don't think I would diet, I would watch what I eat, but wouldn't diet. Life is way too short worrying about your looks, don't ya agree?

11. charli

charli Guest

May 30, 2003

I need to lose 30 lbs. not for looks (I'm past 40 now)but for my health. I have been on blood pressure meds and having a hard time keeping stable. I do well if I walk and do the water thing. I think just having a support system is what everyone needs. I have lost 10 in 4 wks just cutting down on my carbs a little and walking. I hope to continue this pattern. Good luck to all of us OW people to beginning a new school year a skinnier us!

12. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

May 30, 2003

In just a week, I have just about broke the pop habit. I have been drinking lots of water. So far I have done something active everyday since I started. It makes me feel good to be active. My long term goal for weight loss would be close to 100 pounds. My summer goal is more about getting fit than weight loss. Thanks for listening.

13. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 30, 2003

Way to go Brenda! I remember when I was pregnant and quit drinking soda, I had headaches for a week. I hope it has been easier on you!!! Not having the caffeine highs and lows makes a big difference in how you feel. I have tried to eat better this week and I walked a mile each night Mon. through Thurs. It felt so good. I feel guilty for not going tonight, but the humidity makes me not want to do anything.

Good luck this weekend! Keep your spirits up and know that you have others who like to hear what you are doing. It's motivational!

I am going to lunch with my best friend from high school tomorrow and we are going shopping for outfits for our 10-year reunion next weekend. I'm afraid I will probably not eat so well tomorrow!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 31, 2003

My goal, too, would be about 100 lbs - if I could bring myself to even think about it. I know I'm not ready. I just can't add that misery onto everything else. But, with a dog to walk 5 times a day, I do find that I have more energy. I kicked the caffeine habit a couple of years ago and have stuck to it. I eat way too much salt, however. Since I don't cook as often as I used to, I have cut back on meat, which is good. But if I did what I should, I could probably go off blood pressure and cholesterol meds - and save money!! I'll keep reading your inspiring stories and see what happens.

15. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 29, 2003

I, too, have decided that this is the summer for some big changes in my lifestyle. I am SO tired of being tired all the time, and I am tired of feeling like a hypocrite when teaching our Growing Healthy series to my fifth graders. I, too, live 20 miles from the nearest big town, but thank goodness it has a Curves for Women center. I just started and feel better already. It goes so fast,is fun, and the staff is wonderful. I was really feeling guilty about driving 40 miles to excercise for twenty-thirty minutes, but I just can't do it on my own. And I've decided that I am entitled to do this-I don't ever give it a second thought when I transport my boys all over the country for their sporting events.:)

Curves has a website @ www.curvesforwomen.com. There you can find out where the nearest one is located. Thanks for the idea of the walking video. It would be great to do on the days I don't go to Curves. I have never liked walking outdoors-it is so boring! And it is so humid and hot that the only time to walk is early morning or late evening, both prime mosquito times. Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!:)

Sorry to ramble on so!;) Best of luck to everyone! I know we can do it!!

16. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Jun 29, 2003

I just joined your list a day or so ago. I have been reading and visiting so many of the good sites you post. Thank you for being so helpful.

I just lost 40 pounds through weight watchers. I went to the meetings for a few weeks and then finished up doing the online thing. I think it is an excellent program. The mindset you must get in is that....this is NOT a diet....this is a lifestyle. You will be eating like this....which is totally healthy...for the rest of your life. I bought a used treadmill and went on that every morning at 4:30. I had to be to school at 6:30 to open and was just too tired when I got home.:) You just have to want it bad enough to make it a priority. My legs hurt from standing so much and I was just tired of being at that weight. I am no spring chicken either. I just went through the big M and it makes it even harder to lose.

I also like to walk when it is not too hot. I put on my walkman and just go. I plan all sorts of lessons, etc when I walk along.
    I visit a chatboard on WW called nifty fifties and we are a fun and supportative group. Ladies on there use those Walk Off The Pounds all the time.

If I can help you, let me know. You CAN do this...just do it for yourself.