Summer Demo Lesson- with no children!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by smurff30, Jul 6, 2011.

1. smurff30

smurff30 Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

Hi All!
    So I'm super excited. I got a call today and was asked to complete a demo lesson as a second part of my interview. I asked the topic and they said ELA. When I asked if they wanted a specific topic they said no...anything I want. So... then I asked if there will be children there and they said no, just 3 administrators.

So, my question for you... how on earth do I teach a 5th/6th grade lesson to 3 administrators? Please give me as many suggestions as possible. I"d love to hear any ideas for a lesson too. HELPPPP

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

How long is your lesson supposed to last?

I would make sure that my lesson included reading and writing.

I would type up my lesson with extras for each person in the lesson (maybe have a few extra copies just in case)

I would teach my lesson and include the administration as if they were students.

4. smurff30

smurff30 Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

I was not told how long. They said they would try to pull some kids from a summer program but if not, I would have just 3 administrators.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

Well if you have kids, have a way for them to make a name tag so that you can use their names. If not, just invite the administrators to participate in your lesson.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

EXACTLY!!! Even if I felt silly doing it, I would TOTALLY do the same thing!!! :D

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

I'm no expert at ELA. But you'll want something very interactive, and something that lets them know you can handle a bit of content.

Getting a demo lesson in Suffolk is an incredible achievement!! When is it??

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

In my experience, they will be looking to see how well planned you are and that your incorporate some form of conclusion/reflection. If you do have actual students it poses a challenge because you'll need to get their attention and manage their behaviors, but the positive to that is that it will give you a chance to show off your skills.

If there are children present I would start by establishing a method of getting their attention and having them practice it one time. In this case a repeated clap/snap pattern would work best where you have them repeat a pattern back to you with the expectation that their eyes and ears will be focused on you.

I would also be sure to post an essential question or a reason for why you are doing the lesson.

Good luck! Keep us posted. :)

9. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I agree! I finally found a position last year but I went on a billion interviews in Suffolk and Nassau the past few years. I might know something about the district since I interviewed in so many and taught as leave replacements in a few as well. PM me and I might be able to help!

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

I had an interview with a HS panel and I just had them be the students. There was a point when the P and a teacher (both on the panel) were whispering and I asked them to focus and be listening. Now that I think about, I took a big chance on that, as they might have been offended. But, I landed the position anyway, so maybe they liked it.

11. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I agree with this. I had to present lesson plans in college to the adult class, and I just talked as if they were my students.