Summer budgeting

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ABC123, May 14, 2016.

1. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

May 14, 2016

Thankfully I have money coming in from a few different sources, but it never seems to be enough:oops:

I am doing summer school for 4 weeks and have a part time job (online) which has been a true blessing in my life. I have already put some of those checks aside and a little retro pay money as well.

I did it the old fashioned way...I have cash in an envelope that is marked for the summer...every week I add to it so I don't feel the strain in the summer.

Anyone else feel their money runs out too quickly in the summer months?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 14, 2016

I don't get paid in the summer, but I have a summer savings plan and a certain amount of money is taken out of each paycheck. It has saved me. I will have enough money saved that equals out to being paid normally over the summer so I plan on "paying myself"at regular intervals. This is the first summer that I feel good about it. The last couple of summers I ran out of money and had to resort to credit cards/long-term savings.

I do tend to spend more in the summer with traveling and just having more free time to spend, so I just have to be careful.

ABC123 likes this.
  4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2016

I seem to always be on a tight budget in the summer because that's when my high rent increases even more for the next 12 mos. I've worked year-round the last couple of yrs, so at least I still earn continuous income.

ABC123 likes this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 14, 2016

Whenever the summer rolls around and I see threads like this, I am always grateful that my district stretches out my pay for the whole year.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 14, 2016

Ours is this way, too. (Granted I'm not in a similar situation - we are putting away quite a bit each month, percentage-wise. I'm thankful to never have been in a dire situation.)

ABC123 likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

May 14, 2016

It makes sense that it happens because you aren't working as much. People tend to do more things when they have free time which most often involves spending money.

A tip for those who have long commutes to school and don't work in the summer is to contact the auto insurer and see if they have a reduced rates for the months you are just using the car for leisure driving and not putting a lot of miles on the car. This doesn't apply to those going on a lot of trips, but if your driving is significantly reduced, some insurances give a reduced rate. Any bit helps.

ABC123 likes this.
  8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 14, 2016

We have the option of getting paid year-round. That being said, I always spend more during the summer. I don't have time to shop during the year!

ABC123 likes this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2016

At the end of June, we get our pay for July and August. I immediately transfer at least half of it to an account that isn't linked to my debit card--I can still access it, but it's a little more challenging. That said, that first pay in September is always very welcome!

ABC123 likes this.
  10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

May 14, 2016

My husband and I set aside money each month toward our general savings with the understanding that we will use some of the funds during the summer. I work a second job all year around and make quite a bit from that in the summer so the savings are a back up.

ABC123 likes this.
  11. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

May 14, 2016

I get paid 12 months. I don't think I'd be good at saving for it if I had to. I think I also have more money because I'm not spending gas and toll fees to get to work.

smalltowngal and ABC123 like this.
  12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 14, 2016

We are paid year round but I still put aside some extra money for summer. That way, if I want to drive two hours to meet up with a college friend for a spa day, I don't have to think twice. I just go!

ABC123 likes this.
  13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2016

My tutoring during the year and a few hours per week during the summer make a huge difference.

ABC123 likes this.
  14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2016

We get paid year round...but I work three weeks grading NBPT and I also grade state testing for a few weeks. We use my NBPT grading money for vacation and to pay off bills.

ABC123 likes this.
  15. ha bui2

ha bui2 Guest

May 17, 2016

For caculating budget i would probably use money lover app, it's preety good

ABC123 likes this.
  16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 18, 2016

I get paid year-round, but summer can be tricky because that's the time I like to travel. We are not going outside of the U.S. this summer, though (Oregon in June and the Carolinas in July). Not really looking forward to going to the Southeast in July (humidity...ugh), but that's where my sister, BIL, and nephews live.

ABC123 likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 18, 2016

I'm so glad I don't have that problem. I get paid year round or I'd be in trouble! I do spend extra in the summer though but thankfully we get a bonus in June (all teachers get the same) then in August (based on years of service) so that really helps!

smalltowngal and ABC123 like this.
  18. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 18, 2016

Bonuses!? How so??

ABC123 likes this.
  19. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

May 21, 2016

Thanks for all the replies, its nice to know that others (not many though) do have to or need a little extra coming in for the summer..even if its just for fun activities and/or summer travel :)

I am always so grateful for summer school, even though they cut back this year, its still 4 extra paychecks. And my part time job (which I can do sitting out on my deck from home) is really what has made the difference because I do that year round now.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 24, 2016

I am very thankful that I have never had to budget for the summer because I've always been paid year round. The last few years I've been paid extra due to working one additional week so that helps with any extras I incur during the summer months.

ABC123 likes this.
  21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 24, 2016

I work in a year round school and we don't get paid extra for summer school so instead we get a "bonus "halfway through summer school depending on how long we've worked there. I will get a higher bonus in my 5th summer!

22. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 27, 2016

I take my take home pay for the 10 months and divide it by 12. I calculate how much I need to take out of each paycheck and put it aside, and "pay" myself with that in July and August so there is no difference at all.

ABC123 likes this.
  23. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

May 30, 2016

Found out I will be working in a different program this summer, so my paychecks will be bigger!! I will work 5 hours a day, Mon-Thurs until 1 o'clock for 4 weeks so I am really pleased.....it makes a huge difference:D

I am also going to keep getting paid (2 extra paychecks) even after school lets out June 15th, which I am really grateful for. Thank God for our new union, it was their request to have our pay stretched out until July when summer school begins.

This will be the first year we are doing this.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2016

I put a gob of money n my home safe last week. It took years to get here but we can make it thru the summer very comfortably.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    ABC123 likes this.
  25. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 30, 2016

It astounds me that not all districts split salaries into 12 monthly payments! Do you get one big, summer payment in June, or just 10 bigger paychecks? (I do know of one district that gives a big June paycheck and then doesn't pay in July or August.)

We get 12 monthly payments. The only thing I'm not sure about is when that pay would end, were I to leave to take a new job at another school.

ABC123 likes this.
  26. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

May 30, 2016

20 bigger paychecks. I have a summer savings plan through my district so I don't have an issue with money over the summer.

I one summer didn't get paid for over a month because my previous district's paycheck was August 15th and my first paycheck for my new district was September 30th (and I was used to being paid every 2 weeks). That was rough. I did have a much longer summer though (over 3 months)

ABC123 likes this.
  27. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 30, 2016

20 payments or every 2 weeks.
    The idea is that you get paid when you work.
    There are folk who believe that when teachers get paid in the summer that it's vacation pay.
    When each of my 20 checks are deposited, I automatically have withdraw into a summer savings.
    It seems tight all year.

ABC123 likes this.
  28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2016

im thankful to have built up a cushion for summer. There have been Summer's when the AC or a car broke down. Eek

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  29. desert flower

desert flower Rookie

May 31, 2016

Thankfully, mine does too.

30. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 1, 2016

When I got paid 2x a month I was working year round, I was a Director and had a different situation since I was running a program!!!! Now as a Para, I get paid every single week...the entire school year, 44 paychecks starting from the first Friday in September until the last Friday in June, regardless of when school ends...this year we end early so I will get 2 more paychecks after we leave on June 15th which is really nice.

Then I will get the 4 additional checks for summer school, which will be larger checks than I get for the school year...which is really a good thing...my last check for the summer will be August 5th :)

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 4, 2016

Our pay is every two weeks, year round. Love it!

32. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 8, 2016

Our union gave the Paras that option, to be paid in the summer as well, year round, to divide our salary for 12 months instead of 10 but I couldn't live on it. I am just now, this year making a decent salary..they stretched our pay enough that we get paid for all 3 of our breaks/vacations not to mention getting a paycheck the first week school starts in September up until the last Friday in June.

And that was about all I could handle..lol..maybe in a few more years..so for now, I need those additional paychecks from summer school :)

33. JeniD

JeniD Rookie

Jun 14, 2016

We have the option to be paid throughout the entire year or just the school year. I always liked the 24 paycheck option as I saw some teachers go through the summer struggle with their budgets. I'm glad this was an option in my district and always picked the 24 checks over just 20 checks a year.