Summer books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jul 1, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 1, 2019

Are there any new teaching books out there that you're voluntarily reading over the summer?

I typically try to read one each summer, but I haven't heard of anything new recently.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2019

I’m reading so many books. I recently finished Jennifer Seravallo’s “A Teacher’s Guide to Reading Conferences” (new in March) and “The Book Whisperer” (not new but still relevant). I’m getting ready to start Jan Richardson’s “The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading” (a relatively new edition of her older book), followed by “Kids First From Day One” and “A Teacher’s Guide to Getting Started with Beginning Writers”. If I finish all of those, then I have several more on my bookshelves and on my “to-buy” list, but I’ll be impressed with myself if I even get through all of the ones I listed here before I have to go back. I’ve heard good things about “Fewer Things, Better: The Courage to Focus on What Matters Most” by Angela Watson, but I haven’t purchased that one yet. I’m moving to first grade next year, so I’m trying to focus on the shift in literacy and classroom management/relationships with my new age group over everything else this summer.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 1, 2019

The new Jan Richardson is great!

I'm reading "Standards-Based Teaching"