Summer before student teaching

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by weno88, May 14, 2007.

1. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 14, 2007

I hope there isn't a thread on this topic already. I searched but didn't find anything.

The spring semester just ended (thank goodness!), and I'm wondering what I can do to get ready for student teaching this fall.
    I've made a list of lesson plans to write, and am starting a binder full of resources for each level of high school Spanish.
    I'm not allowed to contact my cooperating teacher at all. :/

Any ideas?

3. deliakid

deliakid Rookie

May 14, 2007

I know one of the first things I had to do when I started student teaching was type a "intro" letter. Just a letter to share about yourself to the parents. I wrote about my experience in college, work, how I was excited to be working with their students, etc.!

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 14, 2007

I wouldn't do lesson plans before you contact your cooperating teacher. It may just be a waste of time. Now familiarizing yourself with the standards for the age/subject may be quite helpful.

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

May 14, 2007

Why aren't you allowed to contact the cooperating teacher?

When I had a student teacher, she called me at school towards the end of the year. I spoke to her and met with her once before school ended and a couple of times during the summer so she would understand how I run my classroom and help me with BB for the start of the new school year.

As a start, I would start learning about the standards.

6. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 14, 2007

Thanks for the replies.

I honestly don't know why I can't contact him or her, but the school of ed. is really firm on this. I'm not sure that it is set in stone until later in the summer. They don't even let us know if we got the school we requested until a week before school starts in August.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2007

-You could work on your wardrobe. I know it sounds silly, but professional clothes are expensive. Comfortable shoes are hard to find. So find out how the teachers in that building dress (keeping in mind other local schools where you'll want to apply in a year) and start building a wardrobe.

-Start now making contacts for the job search. Attend homecoming games in the fall and find people to introduce yourself to. Attend the musical at the local high school. Get your name and your face out there.

- Start working on ideas for your resume. Just play with it a bit, post it here, and let us help you. You'll breathe easier next year if the rough draft is already done.

-Think about contacting local travel agents, national tourism boards, etc for any posters or anything similar you may be able to use as classroom decorations. I don't know if there's a "season" for that stuff in the travel industry. BUt giving yourself lots of time is a great idea.

Oops, gotta run. Crying child~

8. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

May 15, 2007

I am not allowed to ask teachers to be my master teacher. I can Substitute teach and volunteer anywhere I want.

Substituting is a great way for staff and students to get to know you. I firmly believe subbing is a great way to see how the day works for a teacher. You might only get one day for the rest of the month, but its better than none.