Summer 2010 Plans

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 8, 2010

Another summer is fast approaching! But while others are glad, us substitutes are often hurting for money. What are all of you planning to do? I assume it's a dry spell for most of us, even for those who go to a year-round school.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad when summers come. Fortunately, I've been able to still pay the bills on time in past summers & haven't had to work a 2nd job in yrs. I hope I never have to again. God has always blessed me to manage somehow! :)

I might take an online speech-language pathology class. Also, an at-home business is hopefully in the works! (Can't talk about it yet)

Other than that, I try to do some fun stuff: Day trips, amusement park maybe, work out at the gym, go to the movies. My big vacation isn't until summer 2012.

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 8, 2010

I'm looking into possibly taking on a tutoring job since I probably won't be able to collect unemployment for two months, but we shall see.

For fun, we are taking a trip to CO and then some out of state family are going to visit us so I get to play tour guide (take them to the beach, LA, etc.) Other than that I plan on spending a lot of time in my pool!!!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

I'm expecting to teach a week of summer school.

I'll spend Thursday mornings teaching an SAT prep course.

We're going upstate to Lake George for a week. We haven't been there in 3 years-- the last 2 years were at Disney-- and we miss it!

We have an above grournd pool in the yard. So I expect to spend a lot of time either in it or near it, keeping an eye on my kids and their friends.

We're 15 minutes from whatever is left of the beach after this winter's storms. I love hitting the boardwalk at dinner time.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2010

We are not going on a big vacation this summer because we spent 2 weeks at Disney World in June and a week at Thanksgiving and are planning on going again in March 2011 when our son goes with the band from his school. This will be the 1st summer that I have not taught summer school in 7 years. I am planning on going to the ASCD summer convention in Orlando at the end of June and to the National Beta Convention in Kentucky in the beginning of July. The only other thing we will probably do is spend several weeks at our beach condo and some time at my mom's out by her pool.

6. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 8, 2010

My summer's booked with summer school, worrying about my internship, and possibly volunteering as a teacher's aide at our local nature museum.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

I'm seeing a car trip in the future. I'd like to go straight up into Canada, over the North Pole and down the other side. I'm not sure the car can handle that. Plus I haven't put the hydrafoils on yet. We'll see. I have to see how much money I have at the end of the teaching year.

(In other words, I have no money so I might as well dream big.)

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 8, 2010

I'll probably sign with some temp agencies. I'm considering applying for summer camp teaching positions, but I think I'd rather work in an office for the summer and take a break from kids.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

Some beach days, some tutoring, some day trips...we are late planners for vacations, but we'll plan a short vaca up to Cape Cod or Newport...kind of our 'go to' vacation....not a bad rut to be in. Also some around the house stuff...I love 'home stuff'...painting, gardening- dh has big veg garden plans. The town just took down a tree in my yard so I'm looking into some ideas to fill the empty slot...Time with my kids, my sisters, my parents...grilling out, iced tea on my porch...

10. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 8, 2010

Will take a class and also try to make day/short trips. A bf might be in the pic (if relationship keeps going like ti is now; just met him) and hope that I can manage to focus on my class w/o making him feel likehe is ignored when I study. Class is very important and not easy either but the good things is it's online. So, may be I can do it at his place (not in my twon) if necessary. Was going to take a job (if I get hired) but I am not even trying that hard so that I can focus on my class and apply for jobs that I desire.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 9, 2010

In the past I was able to sub during summer (which was less pay, but still effectively gave me spending money for the summer). That door has closed up in the past couple years. An opportunity did seem to present itself recently, but alas--not:

My district offered opportunities to teach courses in summer--when I inquired, they said that the jobs were only available to certificated employees. At which point, I expressed my disappointment to them. (I mean, it would've been great to offer this, sortof as an olive branch &/or concession to all those being made to sit on the sidelines as a result of budget problems.)

I think I'll be able to live without, until school starts up again. It s___s though, that any savings that I've saved have to be tapped (into).

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2010

JohnLee, how about a summer job outside of education? Camps in particular always seem to be hiring teachers. Look into summer rec programs offered by churches too.

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 9, 2010

I will be working in a preschool and maybe summer camp offered by the school.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 9, 2010

Subber, good luck on the new romance! I might take an online course too in the area of speech-language pathology.

John Lee, sorry the summer subbing fell through. How about working at a bookstore, hotel, etc.?

I don't know about you guys, but after working w/ kids all year, I'd kinda want a job that has nothing to do w/ kids to take a break away from them. I would think you'd feel more refreshed when school starts up again. Just a thought. :)

15. hatima

hatima Devotee

Apr 9, 2010

I'll be going to grad school. I hope to get a job though. I haven't had luck. Most places don't seem to be hiring seasonal workers.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 9, 2010

I'm taking some summer classes. For fun, I'm hoping to do some hiking and check out some walking trails in the area. I can't plan too much because I work year round at my school so there's not a whole lot of free time. Hopefully, I'll be going on some interviews this summer so that NEXT summer I will be off!!

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2010

I'll be looking for a job (unless I get lucky and get one early) and working my part-time job at a grocery store.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 9, 2010

I'll hopefully be moving into a new house :)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2010

Popped by one of my tutoring houses today...the mom is totally into estate sales, thrift shops, picking up stuff from curbside...she re-imagines furniture: she made an awesome etagere from 3 stacked straight back chairs...I want to do some of this during the summer- cheap, cheerful and chi-chi....

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

In terms of work, I hope to find a ft (prob. office) job for the weekdays and a pt (prob. retail) for some evenings and definitely weekends.

In terms of actually living a life, I'm running another half marathon in mid-June and that's all that's planned thus far.

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2010

A half marathon! Go EmmaKate! The furthest I have ever done is a 10K and as much as I want to do a half, I always feel completely drained after the 10k's and that is not even half of a half!

I want to do Warrior Dash in September....its only 3 1/2 miles but there are 15 obstacles in there, looks like fun!

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2010

I've never done this, but do you think I could hire on to one of those temp agencies for a substitute desk job? What does it involve?

23. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 10, 2010

I'm job hunting this summer. Hopefully, if my interview goes well, I'll be on the east coast this summer training as a regional literacy consultant for a major reading program. I'm fully qualified, but crossing my fingers and praying HARD.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

Good luck, Kat!

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

I'm heading up the east coast. Haven't been to DC since my kids were little. Plan to head to VT to visit relatives and then my husband has never been to Maine so he would like to go there.

26. carol2010

carol2010 Rookie

Apr 11, 2010

i'm going to volunteer at some museums

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 11, 2010

in June I'll be directing the residential program at a summer camp for gifted teens. In July, my whole family is going to Florida for a week. Then I'll come back and do another summer program for a week. Then I'll rest for the last few weeks of summer.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 11, 2010

Yrs ago, I applied for employment at a couple local temp aka employment agencies. They either have 2 types of jobs: Warehouse/industrial OR clerical, which I want clerical jobs. Call up some places, set up an appt date/time & prepare to be there for a few hrs or more because they'll want you to take a typing test & test your knowledge of office computer skills, such as Excel, etc. After that day, hopefully, they'll start calling you about jobs to send you out on.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

MY sister just emailed me. They're doing 7 nights in Jackson Hole Wyoming-- Yellowstone, Grand Teton parks, river rafting and so on.

Sounds like such fun!

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

Good luck!

31. scubakitty

scubakitty New Member

Apr 11, 2010

I will be going to classes! Fulltime starting May 24 until next May. Working on getting my Masters in Teaching. I am hoping the experience subbing will help with the internship teaching.

32. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 12, 2010

Good luck Kat and scubakitty!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2010

Since I only sub Mons these days unless another job happens to pop up, it's pretty much feeling like summer's already started. I'll be taking 2 online college classes starting next month. I better start researching for my London/Paris Olympics trip that will be 2 yrs from this summer.

34. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 3, 2010

I have a three week gig of teaching summer school (Computer Applications 4th-8th) that I have done now for 4 years. that and the grocery store.

I am THINKING of tutoring this summer (maybe - want to, but nervous at getting started). And I MUST get my ebay business back up and running (though I haven't being selling --selling is tougher and more time-consuming than one might think, my INVENTORY has continued to build. An area of my house is starting to look like an episode of Hoarders).

And...as always...applications and life. (My daughter will have graduated and is now starting her business-life while living at home. My son MAY or MAY NOT be living with me and THAT is WAY TOO MUCH drama.)

35. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 3, 2010

Planning a few visits to DC to see my long-distance bf. I will also be taking a 2 week crash-course to finish my GT certification (finally!!!! That's the highlight of my summer!) Aside from that I plan to work 3-4 shifts a week at the restaurant where I waitress and doing a whole lot of nothing besides....when I'm not searching for a different job.

36. Sagette

Sagette Companion

May 3, 2010

We just finalized plans to head to South Carolina for about two weeks in early July. We'll spend the first week in Beaufort, SC with a friend and then head up to Myrtle Beach from the 9-16. We need to head out of SC on the 16 pretty early as we have my cousin's wedding in Newburgh, NY on the 17 so we are planning to stop in Newburgh as we make our way home! Crazy, but fun! We'll also have my sister and her family in town right before we leave for SC! We have an above ground pool and I am keeping my fingers crossed that after two rainy summers in a row, NYS has nice summer weather so the pool actually gets used!

As for work, I used to work at my district's summer school program, but the teacher I've worked with for the past few years will not be there and I wanted a little more flexibility. So I will tutor instead and I am taking three classes to extend my certification to 12th grade.

37. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 3, 2010

I'm doing some part time work for the census bureau right now, a temp gig, which should last into mid June. Working for the Census Bureau actually enabled me to apply for unemployment insurance, so that is a plus.

We will be going to visit my in-laws overseas in July. As I will be getting a student teaching placement in the fall, I may do some prep work for it.

38. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

May 3, 2010

This week is finals week, so after Thursday my summer begins!
    Next week I start my midtier placement...second grade! I will be in the classroom each morning for next week, and the two weeks following.
    After next week, I have two weeks of midtier and then class in the afternoon before I leave to go abroad.
    I will be overseas (London, Paris, Rome, Dublin) for the month of June...can't wait!
    Then back to reality for July...taking a summer class and working on my honors senior thesis. I am hoping I might be able to find some type of babysitting job or temporary employment once I get home but I am not keeping my hopes up because of my schedule.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 3, 2010

So far, I plan to...

- start up this work-at-home business I found out about

- starting mid-May through early Aug, take a couple of online SLP courses

- in late Aug, hopefully start this 12-week online SLPA (Speech-Languge Pathology Assistant) program

- take a few day trips (no big vacation till summer 2012)

40. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 3, 2010

That was my plan too...I took the Census test and got a 98 and they haven't called me! :( I even called today to see what was going on...they said I had to wait for them to call me. Hoping for the best.

41. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 3, 2010

You have to take a test to apply to be a census taker? What do they test you on? Also, what is the passing score?

Best of luck PCdiva; I hope they do call you!