Suitable Materials for Dry Erase Boards

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by corps2005, Jun 27, 2007.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

I know you can use showerboard/tileboard to make a dry erase board. However, I'm trying to do something a little bit different.

I want to use one of my bulletin boards to make a Calendar Math board that covers several concepts quickly. I wanted to be able to attach smaller sheets of dry erase material to solve problems on there.

I've tried laminated posterboard, but the dry erase markers do no come off it very well, which means a lot of daily cleaning for me. I'm not sure if the bulletin board would hold several pieces of smaller tileboard nailed into it.

Are there any other materials I could use that work well with dry erase markers?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

I'd worry that stacking whiteboards would get very cumbersome and heavy, even if you were able to attach them to each other using a ring or something.

What about sticking with the laminated posterboard but using overhead markers instead of dry erase markers? They seem to be a little easier to clean, at least to me.

One problem with this is the size of the line you'll get using an overhead marker. If you're going to be using it to demonstrate a skill to the whole class, obviously the kids in the back aren't going to be able to see it.

What about sticking with the laminated posterboard and the regular dry erase markers, but keeping a damp washcloth nearby to clean it as needed? You wouldn't have to mess with spraying anything and you'd be cleaning the posterboard immediately after use.

(The first time I wrote this, I wrote 'd*mn washcloth' instead of 'damp washcloth'... I guess you could use one of those too!)

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Yeah, I guess the tileboard would get heavy. I keep thinking that maybe something like the cheap white backsplash material they use over stoves might work, but I don't know what it's called.

5. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

You can use plastic page protectors, and put brightly colored construction paper inside of them. Use black markers and you have a make-shift white board! I've used this idea before to make personal "white boards," but this material would be light enough to attach to your bulletin board. Water takes the marker right off!

6. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Would some type of vinyl work then? Or plastic covering from home depot? Because the areas that I'm trying to create would be about a good 2feet in all directions.

7. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Hmmm...I am not sure. What if you put several transparencies together? (I am trying :))

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

No no these are great ideas :) And I can definitely use these as dry erase boards for the kids too. Too bad they can't control the markers :p

9. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Hmmmm, a friend told me to call Lowe's. Apparently, Lowe's has a tileboard that's only 1/8 inch thick. Would that work? That seems pretty thin I think.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

That does sound pretty thin, and I bet it would work.

How would you stack them? Like in a free-standing, easel format, or like peek-a-boos on the board?

Just be sure to get the good turtle wax!

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Hmmm....well, what I wanted to do was thumbtack or nail them into the bulletin board cork. It would make small areas where we could actually work out a problem on the calendar board.

BTW, what is the turtle wax for?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

Would they be too cumbersome for you to move them around with the thumbtacks? Would it be easier to do a flip-up or flip-down style?

The turtle wax is so that the boards are a little more dry-erasy and durable. You wax them up with car turtle wax, wipe the wax off (just follow the directions on the jar), and you're good to go! They erase much more easily this way and you don't get stuck with residual marker marks.

13. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

OOooo. Thank you for that note about turtle wax. I didn't know I could use it for that :)

How would I do a flip-up or flip-down?

14. mviera

mviera Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

How about white plastic plates? these can also be used for individual white boards.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

At least one of the big stationery stores sells self-stick dry-erase sheets in an easel pad - think of a cross between a Post-it note and a dry erase board, in easel-pad size. These used to come in a static-cling variety that worked quite well for ad-hoc whiteboards on walls where there weren't any (though one does have to clean them fairly promptly or the marker refuses to come off).

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

I've never seen the self-stick dry erase sheets that TG mentioned, but they sound like a great idea as long as they're not cost prohibitive.

If you're going to fashion a flip-up or flip-down board, I'd probably attach it to the wall above or below the regular board using fully enclosed hooks or rings so that they could swing. To the other side (top or bottom, depending) I'd probably attach some sort of strap or loop of heavy string or wire on the back and then connect it to a hook or nail on the wall. That way it could be held in place securely and not wiggle around as you write on it, and you could flip the board up or down when not in use.

I don't know if that awful description makes sense to you, but it makes sense to me!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

Cheap, those sheets are not, but they can be reused - and one could certainly set up several sheets as templates using permanent marker (for instance, a pair of coordinate axes complete with gridlines could be pre-drawn on one or two...)

18. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

Do you have a picture of this? Would I have to put holes in the walls? I don't think my school would like this or would these rings/hooks be adhesive?

19. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

They make white board "contact paper like stuff" that comes in rolls. That's what some of the teachers in my pod have covered their chalkboards with while we wait for our rotation (all schools in our dist. are going to white board-I'm hoping we eventually get smart boards)

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

I was just looking at that stuff at Staples. It isn't cheap, but not too bad (I forget how much). I'm going to get some.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 28, 2007

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but... you could buy one of those small dorm room white boards and hang it up with tacs.

I use wipe off sentence strips on my calendar wall.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

My white boards are not actual white board. They are showerboard screwed into chalkboard in a large piece the same size as the chalkboard itself. Pretty much everyone in the school has this. Obviously you are putting a hole in the chalkboard so you'd need permission to do it, but it works just fine.