Suggestions....student wins every game.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Dec 7, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Dec 7, 2020

I have a student who is much higher than all of the other students in my class. Every time we play a game, he wins by a landslide, and it's starting to show that it's not as fun for the other students now. Obviously, I am very proud of him for ALWAYS knowing the answers. I would never tell him not to answer or anything like that. But, it's not really even fair to put him on a team with other kids, because that team is definitely going to win.

Suggestions are appreciated.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2020

Can you have him be the host sometimes? If you alternate the host, the host still has the opportunity to read and identify the correct answers if you are providing both. The student who knows the answers really isn't benefiting from the game all that much so reading the question and identifying correct answers isn't helping the student all that much. Other students can benefit from being host even though they aren't the ones guessing the answers.

SpecialPreskoo and Backroads like this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Dec 9, 2020

Can the child be the score-keeper? I remember kids fighting over that job. Alternately, games that require skill AND luck could give other kids a chance. Think games like Sparkle or Jeopardy where you can be right every time and still lose. Games where people take turns earning points for the team would also help even the playing field. We played a "Family Feud"-type game in French class where one person at a time answered without help from teammates.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2020

I do a lot of games that involve skill and luck like the pp said, so that everyone has a chance. I have a ton of different bingo games that I play with my students. I don't even give out prizes or anything, and they seriously never get tired of it. I use myfreebingocards.com and have made several different versions of word bingo focusing on different phonics skills (a CVC set, a consonant blends set, a cvc vs. silent e set, etc.), 2 and 3 digit number ID, math bingo where they add the numbers to get the answer, etc.

On almost all of my sets, I make it so that every card has every answer, they're just in different spots. So kids can't cop out by saying "I don't have that one" and not even trying to look for the answer. They have to read all of the words themselves each and every time, and it doesn't matter who is fastest. It's simply luck who ends up with 5 in a row first.

6. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Dec 13, 2020

Having games that are based on luck is a great idea. I used to play the bingo type games a lot, but got away from that. Maybe the host gig would be good too. He's very competitive. I teach special ed self contained--middle school.