Suggestions please?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by storyh, Feb 28, 2013.

1. storyh

storyh Companion

Feb 28, 2013

I am going to start using class dojo with my 4th grade GT students. I want to have a reward system for positive points and a consequence system for negative points. What are some good rewards for 4th grade?

P. S. This was in fourth grade forum but got no response. I don't know how to move or delete the previous post so sorry for the duplicate post.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 28, 2013

I use ClassDojo, and I allow the students to spend their points earned in a classroom store. Every Friday, we record their total points for the week in their running log. Then they can choose to spend or save those points in the store. I refresh the points so that everyone is back at zero on the screen for the next week, even if they still have points saved on their log. The goal is for them to earn more points this week than the previous week.

I very rarely use negative points, so I don't have a system of consequences for that. Rather than deduct points from the student with inappropriate behaviors, I usually award points to all of the other students with the more appropriate behaviors. The only occasions on which I have deducted points were when I had students with repeated behavior issues and I wanted to track their negative behaviors. In those cases, I was using it as a tool to collect data. I'm still considering whether it would be better to just not use the negative points at all. I haven't quite decided yet.