***** Suggestions please*********

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bruinsfan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. bruinsfan

bruinsfan Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

I was really upset and frustrated yesterday at work. I was really mad and wanted to leave to cry. I am getting so frustrated with the behaviors in my classroom. Some of the kids don't listen at all and just plain ignore you. I am getting so tired of them treating me like this after I redirect them. Yesterday I had a toy thrown at me (lucky it missed) and the same kid started to kick me and just barely missed the ankle I broke last summer). I also hate when they talk back to you its just simply so rude and disrespectful. I am going bananas. Does anyone have any suggestions on helping me? I want to make a behavioral plan but not sure what to do. Any suggestions for listening techiques? I need help. Its so crazy I just want to cry. I love my job but hate all the disrespect we are getting and no support.

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 25, 2010

What is the age range of your students?

4. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 25, 2010

I'd also like to know their ages. But don't forget that for many of them, this is the first time out of their homes, and they're getting used to a new environment. Disrespect and rudeness are common, because they haven't been taught otherwise. Many parents think it's cute when their kids are rude when they are young.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 26, 2010

Try creating a unit on respect. Include a lesson on creating classroom rules. Have the students help you create the rules and consequences if they are broken. Even if you already have established rules, tell the students that they are not working and that new ones need to be made with their help. In the unit also include "social stories". You can Google "social stories" or create your own to fit your classroom needs. Use puppets to help create scenarios of situations you find bothersome in the classroom. Children love puppets and probably would be most willing to help a puppet solve a social problem. Also, send a note home to parents explaining what is occurring in the classroom, how you hope to improve the situation with specific lessons and how they can help you be reinforcing the positive lessons at home.

Changes will not happen over night but hopefully through persistence you will see changes occur.

6. PlumCrazy

PlumCrazy Rookie

Sep 29, 2010

I teach 4 year-olds. We have a Good Behavior Bucks" chart. Each child has a pocket with his/her name on it. For making good choices (following rules, helping a friend, etc.) the child gets a "dollar" (We printed up small fake dollars and laminated them.). If the child misbehaves we take a dollar. At the end of the week we count the dollars and each child gets a prize from our prize box. If a child has no dollars they don't get a prize. (The latter sentence has only happened once in the several years my co-teacher put it in practice.) When a child recieves a dollar it is announced to the class and why they are recieving a dollar. Good Luck!