Suggestions on Late Work?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Srta Frida, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Srta Frida

Srta Frida Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Does anyone have a good policy for accepting late homework?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 14, 2010

I have 3 oopss passes per semester they can extend the due date of any assignment, project, test or quiz. Major assignments and tests/quizzes must be taken or turned in within two days (one weekend) and daily assignments must be turned in by the end of the term. After the three it's a zero.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2010

Like Brendan, my kids are allowed to miss, then make up for full cedit, up to 3 homeworks per marking period. Sometimes life simply gets in the way of homework.

After that, they're gone forever.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

Generally, I don't accept late work - but I assign ALL HW on Monday; stamp it throughout the week; and collect it Friday.

Extenuating circumstances - death in the family, family member in hospital, sick pet, etc - I handle those on a case-by-case basis.

6. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 14, 2010

We have a homework website, and I post all homework for the upcoming week on Sunday night. Daily homework takes about 5-10 minutes, and assignments that need more time are posted with the due date. Therefore, I generally do not accept late work unless, as the PP stated, there is an extenuating circumstance.

On major papers/projects, I post a due date, and early turn-in date (with extra credit) and a late turn-in date (with points taken off). I have found that the same kids usually take advantage of the early turn-in for extra credit or, they are habitually late.

7. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

No. We've been fighting this battle in our building for over a year now and it's like herding cats. We have some teachers who take No. Late. Work. Ever. Which works OK until you've got a kid that's failing and the admins want to know if she can do makeup work so she can pass, and you're stuck because they won't back you up if you say no. Then there are those who accept late work for a certain period of time, or until the end of the marking period, take varying percentages off, etc. Many of us feel it would be beneficial to have one universal policy for the whole school so the kids can't play us against each other, but nobody is willing to give up their current system to make it work. Also, no one can agree on what "homework" is, even though in my mind to make a universal policy work you don't need for everyone to agree what homework is, just that whatever YOU consider homework in YOUR ROOM falls under the policy.

What I have been doing is up to a week late = -20%, more than a week = -50%, and I accept work until end of the marking period. But I need a new system because I'm tired of grading 8 pounds of makeup work when I'm trying to get grades done.

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Late work is accepted, but points are lost for each day it is late. We tell our parents of this policy, too, on Back to School Night, so there is no ranting and raving later in the school year.

9. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I was doing something similar for the last 4 years, but this year I am changing my policy. At the end of the quarter, I have so much to do and grading their old HWs assignments is really not a top priority. For this year, I am going to accept late work (HW, Classwork, etc) until we have a unit exam on that topic. After that, the students will be out of luck.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I've done a similar "reduced points" policy, but it's always such a pain to get a pound of late work from a kid, and I know they just get through it to get the credit and rarely learn anything from it by that point.

My school has a really bad absence/transient problem, so I can't NOT accept makeup work or 95% of the class would fail.
    I'm considering putting a time limit on late work accepted now. I haven't worked out my system yet, but I'm thinking something along the lines of I will accept it up to 2 weeks from the date it was assigned, for reduced credit. I'm also considering putting extra assignments in pockets on the wall for absent kids, to reduce the "can I get my missing work?" conversations.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

I have also tried the reduced point system, but again at the end of the quarter it is a pain. Last year I tried moving to a reduce point system with a clear deadline (all missing work must be turned in before the unit test/assessment). This way, if students completed the work it was still helping them learn the material (kind of). It also kept me from grading so much at the end!

For absent students, I have a secretary collect assignments and put them into a bin with the students name attached to the top. This way I never have to deal with what I missed during class. Its always easy for them to find!

I also keep all extra work in file folders by class. This way students can find their own copies of worksheets. When I run out of a worksheet, you are out of luck!

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

My personal philosophy is that timeliness with turning in assignments is a soft skill and not part of the curriculum. Therefore I don't think students should be penalized for turning in an assignment late. Not in their grade, anyway.

However, my department has a 50% off policy for late work. What I usually do is collect homework and throw it in the bin. It might take me a day or two to grade it. If you get it thrown in the bin before I grade it, good for you. I don't penalize. This might change though because I want to keep better track of who turns in assignments.

For major assignments, I take 20% off for the first week and then 50% off. But I also allow students to ask for an extension, as long as it is before the day is due. I write their new due date on a carbon copy paper and give it to them to staple to their paper, plus I then have documentation of when it should be turned in. This to me is not the same as turning it in late, they just have a different due date.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2010

I do this too. I make a few extra copies but when they are gone, too bad. Students can then borrow a classmates copy and hand copy it onto notebook paper.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2010

I don't accept late work at all. That might sound harsh, BUT, there's a catch here.

I grade homework for completion, not correctness (for a full explanation of my homework philosophy, read Cerek's "help" thread). I also give homework every day, including over the weekends. Over the course of a term, that's a LOT of homework assignments. The grade for homework is worth 10% of the overall grade, and I come up with a homework grade by dividing the number of assignments turned in by the number I gave. If a student has an "ooops" night, or life gets in the way a handful of times, it's not going to have a huge affect on his overall grade. If he is in the habit of not doing it, then it has the potential to drop his grade by a full letter grade, in addition to the very great chance that he will not perform as well on tests as he could have.

15. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I like this idea, but do you have students who abuse this policy? I think if I were to do this, I would have to limit it to one or two, unless the student had an emergency circumstance or something.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 15, 2010

Project are in a whole different category from daily homework. My policy is remarkably different for projects. Like you, I allow for extensions, if and only if they are proactive about it. I give credit for taking responsibility and knowing their own schedules. If they come up to me saying "Ms. Mmswm, I know that the candy project is due next Thursday, but my parents are making me go to Aunt Jane's house in Tampa this weekend, and I have my pee wee football practice Monday and Tuesday, plus another project due in Ms. English Teacher's class on Wed. I just don't see how I'm going to get it all done", then I can work out a better plan for them, involving an extension of the due date.

They key here is, that they are the ones who have to take responsibility, and let me know.

17. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Aug 15, 2010

My policy is up to three days late 50%, after 3rd day a zero. Homework is due at beginning of period, not two periods later. It stops the "Oh, I just found it" twenty minutes into class.

18. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

Yeah, I don't have that many tests so if I tried that it'd come out about the same as it is now. I'm thinking about maybe making it two weeks from the original date - that's about how long it takes me to grade most assignments anyway, which is another thing I need to work on.

19. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

I just wrote this into my syllabus. We'll see how it works...

• Late work will not be accepted after one week from the
    day it was due. An assignment will lose points each day it is late.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

How many points? Be more specific on that one, or they might try to argue you to death.

21. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

since assignments can be worth anywhere from 10-100 points I left that part out purposefully, but what if I said it will lose 10% each day? Then it would be proportionate whether it was 10 or 100.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

That could work, or a letter grade, or something like that. I think that if you're going to take off points each day, that it needs to be something pre-defined, and not open for debate.

23. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2010

I don't give all that much homework, but unless there are really, really, really viable reasons, it's due on the due date and after that I won't take it.

Most of my students finish up before they leave the building. Those who would rather spend that time drinking coffee and socializing can take it home to finish.

Item: students who spend the most time socializing are usually the ones who come in on the due date, all frantic, weeping that they forgot and could they please, please, please, turn it in tomorrow. I say "no," and the weeping turns to anger.

Then we have a new lesson and a new assignment, and the same people go forth and do the same things.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

24. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

Not taking late work is akin to telling a student "I gave you the assignment with no learning value attached to it so there's no point to do it now anyway other than a few points."

I tell my students that I will always take late work because everything I assign has value. I don't give work for the sake of giving work so I'd never stop a student from doing it. Yes there is a point penalty but beyond that, by all means, please learn.

25. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Rockguykev, how do you then handle the insurmountable pile of late work right before grades are due?

26. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

I always take late work because there is value to doing it. With about 3 weeks left to the marking period I give them a list of all the assignments the missed. They have 10 days to hand it in. After that it's a 0

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Doesn't some of this discussion need to concern the nature of the work??

If I've already gone over the homework, explained it and given them the answer, then the value of the work HAS gone down. It's no longer a matter of figuring out how to approach a problem you've never seen before; it's now a matter of your notetaking skills.

On the other hand, I think that sometimes we forget that our kids do have a life outside our classrooms. Teenagers are still learning how to juggle conflicting priorities. And sometimes something lands on their laps from out of the blue-- coach re-scheduled practice to this afternoon or mom scheduled an orthodontist appointment and forgot to mention it.

When life gets in the way of my schoolwork, I can say "Sorry guys, I made meatloaf, the kitchen filled with smoke, the fire engines came, and I didn't get around to grading your tests. I'll get them to you tomorrow."

It's not a hallmark of my class (I haven't made meatloaf since it happened.) But every so often, life DOES get in the way.

So I'm perfectly OK with acknowledging that the same thing sometimes happens to my kids.

28. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

The first time that happens I'll let you know.

I do grade checks every three weeks and the together kids will get any late work to me then. The kids who are off the planet may turn in one thing they had done but rarely will redo anything. I've never had a problem with having a ton to grade all at once.